Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after years of wanting one (not necessarily needing), I adopted a rough-around-the-edges TBS! Mechanically it's sound, but cosmetically needs some help. I'm not looking to bring it back to 100%, but reasonably close as funds and time permit. I'd like to repaint the front fender, and paint the cowl seat that came with it (in beige/brown). Maybe the side covers too.

Can any of you recommend a US-based source for Thunderbird yellow paint, in a spray can? I searched a few vendors but haven't found anyone to offer the color.

Thanks! VERY much enjoying it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
A good auto body paint shop should be able to match the color from a sample (side cover, for example) and deliver it to you in an aerosol can. If you know the name of the color (I can't seem to lay my hands on my reference material) I can tell you the manufacturer and color code.
(I think it's Racing Yellow.)
DUPONT BEC 1514 or
IVC L3422 or
DUPONT 488120101
Triumph touchup paint T3120300-FA

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Nice looking Bumble Bee

I ordered Racing Yellow from ColorRite for my former "yeller" TBS. It was a pretty decent match and they have all of the goodies needed to do a good clean job, spray clear in aerosole so forth. Enjoy the new ride, a TBS is truly a gift from the Gods sent down to Earth for us mere mortals to enjoy.

https://www.colorrite.com/

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congratulations, fellow TBS rider!
I know other 2000 TBS's were white/orange. Did they also make it in the '99 color, yellow/black? '99's had 2 pipes on one side, so I wonder if the body work is borrowed...
I took a side cover to an auto paint store and had a rattle can made for the yellow. Match wasn't perfect though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I spoke with the area auto body supply chain, Wesco, and though they can mix and fill spray cans, they weren't able to match the Dupont codes above to their PPG product. Next week I'll bring in a side panel and they'll attempt to color match/ scan it. In the mean time, hoping to get a few miles in tomorrow...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Secondwindsteve, I'm pretty sure my bike is original, but you never really know in 19 years of a bike's life! The rear of my right side panel has a sticker with what appears to be a date code of 1999.
Needed paint-work aside, my bike experienced it's first modification, in swapping on a Thunderbird "Triumph" top clamp for the TBS single clamps.

Also, it turns out that an aftermarket brake lever for a Sprint ST is a perfect fit. The style is a bit off, but the slightly wider lever has a nicer feel than my thinner and loose fitting original.

I managed to get a few miles in today and am really enjoying it. From 3500rpm+ it pulls hard! Below that, it's a bit sluggish and needs a fair amount of throttle to get started from a stop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Secondwindsteve, I'm pretty sure my bike is original, but you never really know in 19 years of a bike's life! The rear of my right side panel has a sticker with what appears to be a date code of 1999.
Needed paint-work aside, my bike experienced it's first modification, in swapping on a Thunderbird "Triumph" top clamp for the TBS single clamps.

Also, it turns out that an aftermarket brake lever for a Sprint ST is a perfect fit. The style is a bit off, but the slightly wider lever has a nicer feel than my thinner and loose fitting original.

I managed to get a few miles in today and am really enjoying it. From 3500rpm+ it pulls hard! Below that, it's a bit sluggish and needs a fair amount of throttle to get started from a stop.
I just changed my riser clamp from the single to the triumph stamped.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Lugan, Love the Sprint handles. You've inspired my next upgrade. Good luck with your new TBS. Here's a pic of mine. I did the same "triumph" logo'd clamp too. (The yellow is the fastest color, in case you didnt know)

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lugan, Love the Sprint handles. You've inspired my next upgrade. Good luck with your new TBS. Here's a pic of mine. I did the same "triumph" logo'd clamp too. (The yellow is the fastest color, in case you didnt know)
Very nice PB! Can you point me in the direction of the fork guards? I'd like to add a set.
If you replace your levers, I'd suggest looking of zx11 ones which would be appropriate for the hydraulic clutch. My Sprint spare clutch lever won't work as it's cable-actuated.

Incidentally, I have a spare clutch lever from my late dad's Kawasaki Mean Streak/Vulcan 1600. Perfect fit on the TBS, but the style is very thick "cruiser".

Yellow is fast indeed... but it might be the black highlights that really give it umph!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know other 2000 TBS's were white/orange. Did they also make it in the '99 color, yellow/black? '99's had 2 pipes on one side, so I wonder if the body work is borrowed...
Hi all, I usually just lurk on this forum because I have an older triumph and post elsewhere, however, I did used to own a 2000 TBS in white/orange. I don't remember the exact timings but in the UK Triumph dropped the TBS from its range after a number of years only to re-introduce it about a year later. When the 'new' bikes arrived in the showrooms they were yellow/black.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Very nice PB! Can you point me in the direction of the fork guards? I'd like to add a set."
================

Can't confirm fitment, but maybe one of these OEM fork protectors part numbers A9641010 or A9640235 will work - let us know if either work for you:

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/triumph-fork-protectors-a9640235-part.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9nskPu15QIVGm6GCh0MZQ85EAQYBCABEgL0MvD_BwE

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/triumph/a9641010/b1381791?CRTP=psc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-9nskPu15QIVGm6GCh0MZQ85EAQYASABEgL98_D_BwE

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Whiskey! It looks like A9641010 is the right part... at the right price too :) So much so that they come up in search results as being in used on a few different bikes, including VFR's. I'll see about getting a set through the local Triumph dealer.

Pending the paint, I did some light sanding on the solo seat cowl that the seller provided with the sale of the bike. Assuming I can obtain a close match for the paint, it'll end up yellow. Otherwise black. The seat that accompanies it is hard as a rock! So likely a short-ride only option... race to that cafe, and pose! :wink2:

Regarding the posts about model year changes in colors, for what it's worth, my bike was originally a UK market bike, then brought to north america sometime in the last 10 years. Perhaps that has some bearing on the color option, I'm not sure. In any case, I really like the color.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
....Perhaps that has some bearing on the color option, I'm not sure. In any case, I really like the color.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yellow is definitely the fastest color!

·
Registered
3 Posts
following with enthusiasm and have a couple of questions - I just bought a yellow/black TBS 99 myself. It’s in pretty decent shape and runs great. However, the brake and gear shift pedals are both slightly bent/scratched. What aftermarket replacements have people used that are a direct fit? Also, the same question on the brake and clutch levers. Nothing wrong with them but looking pretty dim. Someone mentioned using zx10 levers. Anyone try that? Any aftermarket options? Last question. The bike came with the single seat and cowl. Today I tried to take the seat off but couldn’t. The key doesn’t turn in the lock on the left side panel. I will do more troubleshooting, but any advice would be appreciated. Does the seat and cowl come off in one piece? Do I need to somehow take the cowl off via the bolts first? Thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts