Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my 2003 T100 for a little over a week now and getting ready to service it at the end of the month.

It has 8700 miles and change on the clock.

I suspect that the previous owner, who admitted he wasn't technically minded, may have done nothing to it.

I am planning on changing the oil filter, oil, fit a magnetic sump plug, clean and oil the K&N air filter, replace the spark plugs, clean and lube the chain and check the condition of the fuses.

I have the Haynes manual so I'll go through some more servicing jobs.

Is there anything specific to the 2003 T100 that I could be preventing or looking into when I'm getting stuck in?

I'll most likely be using wemoto as well as I've always had brilliant service from them.

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
Probably due to having the brake fluid changed. Clean & oil and adjust the chain. Check spokes. Check the rubber nipple covers on the intakes for deterioration along with the rubber inlets.
I do not see the AIS in the picture so presumably that has already been removed- good. Might want to reroute the case vent to the atmosphere instead of the air box.
Is the blue thing on the front of the frame tubes a horn? I do not see the R/R - moved somewhere else maybe ?

Reactions: SportsterDoc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Back 2-2,

I have actually done the front brake. I'll replace the rear too, thanks for reminding me.

What are the rubber nipple covers on the intakes and rubber inlets?

The AIS is gone yes, is there anything other than the two blanking bolts needing done next to the spark plugs?

What is the benefit of rerouting the case vent to the atmosphere?

That is an upgraded horn. I'll more than likely paint it black as it puts out a good volume. There is also a blue braided brake line on the dront brake which doesn't look great.

The reg rec is underneath the headlight.

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
Cheers Back 2-2,

I have actually done the front brake. I'll replace the rear too, thanks for reminding me.

What are the rubber nipple covers on the intakes and rubber inlets?

The AIS is gone yes, is there anything other than the two blanking bolts needing done next to the spark plugs?

What is the benefit of rerouting the case vent to the atmosphere?

That is an upgraded horn. I'll more than likely paint it black as it puts out a good volume. There is also a blue braided brake line on the dront brake which doesn't look great.

The reg rec is underneath the headlight.
Right in front of the carbs on the top of the intake manifolds each has a vacuum port / tap. Actually, now that I think of it there are also on each carb body the same type of ports. Those have rubber covers that the OEM rubber dries out pretty early in life and cause a vacuum leak.

The AIS - many of us take the actual system completely out just to clean things up. There is a rubber line that goes back to the airbox that needs to be capped or plugged if you do completely remove it.

Case vent pumps oil fumes and residue and dirties the air filter. If rerouted up and over the carb bodies and back down the frame center it allows any oil residual to go back into the engine. Some, including myself, put a little filter on the end to keep things out.

I thought that was probably an aftermarket horn. So the mufflers, bars, horn, and air filter are about all the mod's the PO made. Good find ! They are fantastic motorcycles and bring BIG smiles when riding ! Even just looking at for that matter, brings a smile.

Reactions: goodcleanfun

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
Agree - that is a fine looking bike !

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Consider installing a Triumph Twin Power Safe-Start at your next oil change. Check the TTP web site for an explanation, and you can search the stories on this forum.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Probably way overdue for fork oil replacement. At a minimum, check the level in both tubes and make sure oil isn't cloudy, discolored or have particles suspended in it. You've got your work cut out for yourself but, it's worth it.

If you'll be flushing your brake lines, consider installing Speed Bleeders. Cheap, easy to install and makes brake fluid changes so simple.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oil and filter changed, magnetic sump plug fitted, spark plugs changed, air filter cleaned and oiled, air filter drain cleaned out of water and mould, air filter box cleaned of oil and front brake master cylinder screws replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In photographs 4, 5 and 6, does anyone know if this wiring is standard? Are they connections for accessories?

In photo 7, the NOLOGY ignition coil pack, has anyone had any negative dealings with these? Are they just to ensure a hot spark?

In photo 9 (of the fuel tank), there is a little pipe which was not connected to anything. Is this a breather and should it be connected to anything? I'm pretty sure my Haynes manual only had me disconnect the fuel feed from the petcock to the carburettors.

I'm pretty sure that the oil staining in photo 12 is spilled oil from past oil changes. Can anyone recommend a method of cleaning that off? It will be well cooked on.

Any other things you see and seem unusual, please let me know

Cheers

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Nology coil is fine.

Tank tube is for a vent line that drops down and to the back. Probably yours has disappeared at some point. It's just a piece of tubing, but you'll have to find out how long and how to route it.

The bikes come with connectors for immobilizer and auxiliary power. I don't remember what they look like or where they are because I have no use for either of them. Someone else will reply with a better answer.

Reactions: goodcleanfun

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
You're getting there.
The oil stains are possibly from the crankcase vent line connection into the case leaking a little mist over time. That may be tough to clean as it is probably cooked into the clear coat on the engine cases. Maybe try different things - brake-free cleaner, little paint thinner, even some WD-40?
As Mr. Balto stated - those two connectors are what he described. Nology = good upgrade. Looks like you also have a formed bellmouth air inlet = good upgrade.
The nipple for the fuel tank vent goes down the right side mid-bike frame, in front by the airbox and down to a bracket in front of the center stand lugs. There was a roll-over
[ ROV ] in that rubber line also. Many remove the ROV because it can cause venting issues if it gets clogged with gunk. The rubber line may still be buried in there somewhere?
Looking good!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have a technique for cleaning out the fuel tank breather pipe?

Also, which diameter pipe can I buy for fitting to the breather for runoff? I'm assuming fuel pipe is measured in diameter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone have a technique for cleaning out the fuel tank breather pipe?

Also, which diameter pipe can I buy for fitting to the breather for runoff? I'm assuming fuel pipe is measured in diameter.
For cleaning out the breather pipe, put the little straw on the spray nozzle of a bottle of carb cleaner and spray it down through the pipe. Spray through the open end under the fuel cap and let it drip down. I think piece of stainless steel wire could be use to flush through there but I can't imagine that's needed unless a serious blockage is present.

As stated above, normally a piece of hose is connected on to the pipe, which leads to a tip over valve (aka roll over valve), which leads to another length of tubing with its open end just below the frame. I don't remember the diameter of the hose but I know its still available from Triumph, although I'm sure non-OEM hose is fine is you can figure out the diameter.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oil and filter changed, magnetic sump plug fitted, spark plugs changed, air filter cleaned and oiled, air filter drain cleaned out of water and mould, air filter box cleaned of oil and front brake master cylinder screws replaced.

View attachment 764320
View attachment 764321
View attachment 764322
View attachment 764323
View attachment 764324
View attachment 764325
View attachment 764326
View attachment 764327
View attachment 764328
View attachment 764329
Really liking your post. Great reference photos for future repairs. The Haynes manual photos are tiny, black and white and oft from angles that are hard to replicate. I find myself with a magnifying glass over the book at times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really liking your post. Great reference photos for future repairs. The Haynes manual photos are tiny, black and white and oft from angles that are hard to replicate. I find myself with a magnifying glass over the book at times.
I know what you mean, I'd definitely pay a bit more for a colour Haynes with bigger and more photos.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know what you mean, I'd definitely pay a bit more for a colour Haynes with bigger and more photos.
There's a video section somewhere on here that's cool--it's just the labeling of us (making a title that will get us to the great video is hit or miss) so many really helpful repair and update videos (and normal posts) here are not always intuitively searched. Forchetto-beloved member here, most of his posts for repairs / fixes etc are great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re the brown stain on your crankcase. It's from a fuel leak. I have the exact same stain on my 2005 Bonnie. Previous owner allowed a fuel leak to develop from the tap and it sat in a shed for a couple of years. As for getting it off - good luck with that. I have tried various cleaners but no luck plus I don't want to get too aggressive with trying different cleaners as the stain is actually into the paintwork. Oh well, when I clock up some serious miles, I'll remove the engine and vapour blast it for a full repaint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers jjanz, I'll let it be then. I don't need it to look mint condition, it's a commuter.

A proper blast and clean in time l sounds like a good idea though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts