Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a 2003 ST with only 6500 miles. It unfortunately had a low speed drop which scraped up the fairing some (no cracks), also needs tires and a new seat (orig. owner had it recovered and I don't like it all!!) Even with these 'challenges' I feel as though I got it for a good price. All in all a well maintained, adult owned bike. Now I need to sell my '96 Sprint (hate to see it go :( ) and the seat off this one! :)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Looks nice. (except for the seat ;))
A little TLC and it will be like a new bike.......only better, since it's the previous generation.
Did the previous owner keep up the maintenance?

---Charlie

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Mask the seat off and paint or stain some black 'welts' on it.

Ride the bike for a couple hundred miles, and see if you like the way the seat feels. If you like it, have it re-re-covered. That'll cost a lot less than a new seat.

I'm a Sargent guy, myself. I am not a fan of the Triumph Gel Seat, especially when it is used in an area with bright sunshine and high temps.

Otherwise, nice bike!

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I like the "concept" of the color-matched seat, but the execution needs a little piping or a contrasting stripe to set it off. Also, I would suggest getting the carbon fiber guard for the tank so you don't scratch it up.

Nice bike (looks just like mine)!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Nice bike Welcome to our side of the pond!:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found another used, but great condition black seat, so hopefully it will show up at the door soon. I'm not sure if the seat on there now is gel or not. I guess I didn't really look at it closely or think about it. I appreciate the tip on the tank guard and probably a very good idea.

I just had new Dunlop Roadsmart tires put on, so look forward to getting out and seeing the difference.

As for maintenance records, the guy I bought it from didn't have any. It sure looks well maintained, though I'm changing the oil and going over things myself to see what I can find. I will go in and have the ECU checked or whatever it is they do at 6K.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If the oil looks good, leave it. The recommended change interval is something like 6000 miles. I do mine at 5000, just because it's easier to remember.

Not to start another oil thread, but you can use any full synthetic, non-energy conserving oil. I use the Mobil 1 extended performance, 15W-50 that I buy at WalMart.

The oil filters you can use are listed in Panther's Dens' wonderful parts page. I use a Purolator PureOne.

Your bike has both a base tune in the ECM, plus a tuneable fuel map. The '99 - '01 years had an 'open loop' EFI. So when you go in for the service, they should not only check your ECM for the proper tune and for any stored codes, but also check it for CO with an Exhaust Gas Analyzer.

Your seat is not a gel. The gel pads are incorporated in the upholstery material.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Sorry for the threadjack, but pushr0d- If you're buying your oil at Wal-Mart, you may as well buy your filters there too. They're $3 a pop and also on the preferred list on the CalSci xref page.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts