Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have been riding on and off since 1974. I recommend to everyone to get a very used smaller bike like a Honda Shadow to ride for their first season and build skills and confidence. Then at the end of the season if you still want to continue riding a motorcycle trade on a left over 2012 Tbird. The Thunderbird is a big bike to start on IMO. But that is just me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Older than dirt started back on the Thunderbird as well. I was glad not to have to buy another bike by using an intermediate bike. The thing that surprised me is the range of heights of riders that this one bike will accommodate. Comfortable, plenty of power, good brakes, smooth shifts, if you needed any more, you would probably want egg in your beer too. :) Go with the Thunderbird and take your safety course, ride within your abilities and maintain your bike. In my experience, anything this much fun is probably illegal. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the comments everyone. All of you guys make some great points and have tons more experience then I do. I'm not buying anything till after my safety course. That way I will be able to make a little bit more informed decision. Thanks to everyone for your help and keep the comments coming please.

Mutt

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Can't really comment on the experience thing having ridden a bike for the last 30 years on and off... but I have to say that the Tbird is easier to ride and handle than almost every other large metric cruiser I've ridden. For some reason it feels lighter and more nimble compared to the Kawi Nomad, Yamaha V-Star lineup or Suzuki M series (all of which I've ridden extensively) it is just an easier bike for me to manage.

I'm also a taller dude (6'2", 210) and the Tbird just fits me perfectly.

Look.... if you were on the Ninja 600 forum right now I would tell you to get a smaller bike. There are plenty of 600's with 125+hp that would be way too much for a beginner to handle, even though they are 'smaller'.

Cruisers are just different - the power band is much smoother and you work more in the low end torque range. They are simply easier to ride overall - hence all the middle aged dudes and dudettes on cruisers.

My prediction: If you buy a Tbird you will not regret it. If you buy an America (even though its a great bike in its own right) by the time you hit August you'll be longing for an upgrade and you'll lose $5000 on the trade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just passed 4000 KM (Almost 2500 Miles)on my storm, I had a gap of 30 years between bikes. Had a 650 Bonneville and a few 650 Yamahas.
after a demo around the block at the dealers I had a 150 km(93M) trip home and got used to the bike on the way 2 up. by the time I got home I was relaxed and felt I had made a great buy. If you exercise a bit of caution. (need to scrub the tyres in for a bit before the grip is great.)
Go for it. This is the best thing I have done for years. No regrets at all.(Maybe only that I did not do this a long time ago.)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Many people have not ridden a bicycle for 30 years, and I doubt they will have forgotten how. Main thing is have the bike fit and take it easy. My son told me many people need about 4500 miles under their belt before they are reasonably comfortable with a bike. Don't know what hat he pulled that number out of, but it is not a bad idea on the surface of it. I think he was talking of the notion that proportionally, many accidents occur on bikes with new or inexperienced riders and in the initial miles. Some riders can wrap around a pole on a moped, so try to use that squishy stuff between your ears, take your safety course and ride smart, and enjoy your Thunderbird.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar view to BMK, per my earlier post. When I was getting advice on this same question last summer, most of my friends with 30+ years experience riding strongly encouraged me to go mid-size with the first bike, even though at the same time they suggested I could likely handle something larger. Looking back, it was the right advice.

For a meager investment (4k or so), you can get a solid used (e.g., 2008) starter bike in the 750-900 cc range. Then you can get a feel for riding, get a better handle on what you like in a bike, and then upgrade when you're ready. And only lose 1k or less when you sell the starter bike. It's like a prolonged rental.

We're not talking about driving SUVs. It's motorcycling, and IMO it's prudent to proceed a little cautiously out of the gate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Started on an America in 2008 after a 30 year period of little riding. I'm 5' 9" so the America felt about right as a bike to get my skills back up to par on. Practiced a lot in the school parking lot before going to take the skills test at the BMV, and passed it with flying colors. Only had the America for 9 months when the new TBird came out... sat on one at the dealer and that was it, traded and never looked back. I have to say in comparing the two bikes, the Thunderbird is a much better handling bike in the corners, and in the parking lots. Although a heavier bike, the low center of gravity makes a very pleasant bike to handle at low speeds. I have wondered if the TBird were available when I purchased the America, whether I would have gone for the bigger bike to start with? I think for me the America was a good confidence builder, so I agree with others here. Find an inexpensive, used starter bike for a few months and get your confidence and balance back up to par, and you will lose very little when it's time to upgrade to the TBird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had many bikes since 1967 and rhe last was a 1996 Kawasaki 1500c with the dual carbs and 4 speed. The 1700 Thunderbird is stable and has the power to pass when you need it, I got the touring seat and crash bars. The first Triumph, before the Kawasaki was a 1976 Bonnie 750 and it was a great bike. The new Triumph WILL BY-PASS the HDs. The Thunderbird is a bike I will keep for a while since I am now 62 and ride to work every day, {But down to only 18 F degrees and no snow} Get it .................... Brent 6'0 195

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, guys. I just posted my intro in the welcome thread but I want to introduce myself in this forum too since this is where I will be hanging out most of the time.

I am 26, 6'1", 175lbs, and just getting my first bike this spring. I have only ridden mopeds back in the day and I was looking at getting a 600cc somethin or nother but destiny has chosen my bike for me and I will be getting a 2011 Thunderbird Storm probably around the first week of May.

It's a lot more than what I wanted to spend but a friend has it sitting in the garage and hasn't been touched for a year. So I am going to help out and start making the payments. It's got about 3k miles on it and fully loaded.

I am taking my temps test this week and signing up for MOBC classes right after I pass. Can't wait to be on the road and adventuring with this bike!:cool:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey, guys. I just posted my intro in the welcome thread but I want to introduce myself in this forum too since this is where I will be hanging out most of the time.

I am 26, 6'1", 175lbs, and just getting my first bike this spring. I have only ridden mopeds back in the day and I was looking at getting a 600cc somethin or nother but destiny has chosen my bike for me and I will be getting a 2010 Thunderbird Storm probably around the first week of May.

It's a lot more than what I wanted to spend but a friend has it sitting in the garage and hasn't been touched for a year. So I am going to help out and start making the payments. It's got about 3k miles on it and fully loaded.

I am taking my temps test this week and signing up for MOBC classes right after I pass. Can't wait to be on the road and adventuring with this bike!:cool:
Welcome and bike chice Must be a 2011 Storm since they were first introduced then.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good luck with the class. I am biased when I say like your choice as its the bike I have.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct. It's a 2011. It was pretty late last night when I typed that up.....
I must admit; my intentions were to start with something smaller. I have read the arguments back and forth on beginner bikes, but this bike is just too cool to pass up. It's exactly the style/image I had in mind of the bike I wanted before I even knew what a Triumph Thunderbird Storm even was. Like I said, it is destiny.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Charlie,
Welcome to the wonderful world of Triumphs. By all accounts, professional and hobbyists, the TBird is a wonderful bike. I neither own one nor am planning on purchasing one since I'm very happy with my Bonnie. Prior to purchasing my Bonnie, I had no experience riding a bike. I took the MSF course before purchasing the Bonnie. And for the first two thousand miles, I took it easy. Every time I was tempted to push the limits, I pulled over and took a break. After the first 2k, I started experimenting and started expanding my skill set. My point is, the better you learn your bike and how it behaves, the safer you're going to be on it. Everyone here who's suggested that the first bike should be a small displacement, light and easy to maneuver is right. However, it seems that is not an option for you. Just be careful and take your time.
I'd sure you're going to enjoy the TBird.

Sent from my mobile communications device.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My question is would the ThunderBird be too much bike for me and my novice skills (I'm going to take a safety course, btw). So what do you guys think. Get the T-Bird or look for another 800-900 cc bike?

Thanks
Mutt
For your back ground and built, no brainer. T-bird is the right answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys. i got my temps today. still havent been on the storm. im going to borrow a friends 600 for a few weeks. the storm is in a garage on a hill and theres no way im riding the thing down the hill with 0 experience.

i signed up for the MSF class right after i got my temps but the first available class isnt until the end of June! so many people learning to ride this summer!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts