Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
As above its a later head and two different PRTs. Haven't actually decided if I should get a matching set (in which case which of my two current ones should I aim to match? :D) or leave as is.

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 · (Edited)
"So in an effort to prevent push rod tubes from leaking we have examined all the parts to make sure they are all from the same style. Tappet guide blocks, push rod tubes and cylinder head must be all the same style."

Seems like pretty sound advice!

Can anyone comment on whether this site is accuate with regards to the seals on the rocker shaft? Even my limited experience of these bikes tells me diagrams cannot always be believed!

Specifically, I'm planing on finding a set of T140 71-3549 spiral grooved shafts and I of course need the o-ring seal which goes around the end of it that seals against the box at the 'not feed' end. Is 60-3548 correct? It seems like the right sort of thing.

Search results

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi,
Regrettably, gives a 404 Error (webpage not found). If you simply copy the whole of a given line from your browser's address bar and paste it in your post, the Forum software adds the HTML tags, the address should then display in a different colour when you either Preview or Post; that it hasn't in your post #223 suggests a copying error?

71-3549
shafts
need the o-ring
that seals against the box at the 'not feed' end. Is 60-3548 correct?
'69 or e.g. '71 use 70-3253. Absent clarity in a subsequent post, seek advice from a more-experienced Triumph spares dealer than Draganfly? E.g. TMS or Hawkshaw?

Also be aware there are different-quality O-rings under the same part number; order from an experienced dealer to ensure getting the best quality?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
565 Posts
Draganfly have used the Triumph parts books as a starting point for their parts references, so they are only as good (at best) as the Triumph parts books, not that great. They are very helpful, but not particularly knowledgeable on Triumph, though good on returns if (when?) needed. Some sellers sell both of those part numbers as the same part, but I note that Feked actually specify different dimensions, and it would appear that the late (scrolled?) spindles 71-3459 use the later 60-3548 rings. If I get a chance (and I can find the parts!), I'll have a look later today at my workshop.

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
Having all the small parts the same is ALMOST everything you need.

THEN, you need decent measuring tools to check whether or not someone has modified the head!

The reason I say this is because early in my Triumph wrenching career, I had one modified because all the new and different o-rings in the world wouldn't allow it to seat. I had a machinist deepen the exhaust pushrod tube seat 1/16" to accommodate a fatter/taller rubber washer. THAT fixed it. I noted it on the build sheet, for the new owner.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
The draganfly link goes to this exploded diagram (previous post had a rogue space in the URL).

Which lists part 45 as 71-3549 and part 46 as 60-3548 for 1973-83 "Not TSS", which would seem to tally with what Mick is saying. However I've since found this website which sells the scrolly shafts, the seal and the different thread acorn nut I need all as one purchase....

GENUINE TRIUMPH ROCKER SPINDLE 71-3549 1973-83 T120V TR7 TIGER T140.

Shafts are made by LF Harris, which is a name I've heard before. However for the life of me I can't remember if I heard it in a good or bad context!

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
Shafts are made by LF Harris, which is a name I've heard before. However for the life of me I can't remember if I heard it in a good or bad context!
L.F. Harris was the "missing link" between the original Triumph Meriden factory that closed after the 1983 models were produced, and the new Triumph Hinkley factory that came later (1991?). He built bikes to '83 spec and was a parts distributor under license from John Bloor (new Triumph owner).

I believe Harris still distribute to reseller/dealers...

I cannot definitively say whether that man and his organization were/are overall good or bad, I just know the above (and that, from memory which isn't perfect)

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Hi,
L.F. Harris was the "missing link" between the original Triumph Meriden factory that closed after the 1983 models were produced, and the new Triumph Hinkley factory that came later (1991?).
Les Harris is a bit more than that ...

Reason John Bloor licenced Les's company to produce twins after Meriden closed while he (Bloor) got the new Triumph company producing bikes is Les had been making and sourcing Triumph spares since the early 1970's, when Triumph parent BSA was first unable to make enough spares and then gave up making them for any discontinued model/version, which left many owners of these up the proverbial ... creek paddling with their hands. :(

By pure coincidence and "what are the chances?", the first engineer I used to make special parts for my triples had made Les's earliest parts a decade earlier. I met the engineer because he was at the end of the road where I lived, I'd broken a Rita reluctor bolt in one of my T160's camshafts, needed it extracted and asked the workshop manager of the Honda dealer also at the end of the road. The engineer had made Les's earliest parts because the dealership was where Les worked as a mechanic when he started his spares business, on the side initially ...

believe Harris still distribute to reseller/dealers...
cannot definitively say whether that man and his organization were/are overall good or bad,
Les the man died many years ago. :( The L.F. Harris company is one of the big four wholesalers that supply the vast majority of Triumph and BSA spares (the others are Aerco, Wassell and Emgo).

Some twenty-odd years ago, when Les was still in charge, he did try to improve spares quality, by instigating a policy of "making to the drawings", as he'd acquired the vast majority of drawings when Meriden closed ... Regrettably, the policy foundered on two realities - Meriden hadn't made many parts "to the drawings" :rolleyes: ... and they were/are competing with the Evil Empire on quality/price ...

E.g. John Healy rates the Harris stainless steel master cylinders as the best of the patterns, but Harris's inspections still miss faults like burrs nicking seals ... :(

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
565 Posts
The draganfly link goes to this exploded diagram (previous post had a rogue space in the URL).

Which lists part 45 as 71-3549 and part 46 as 60-3548 for 1973-83 "Not TSS", which would seem to tally with what Mick is saying. However I've since found this website which sells the scrolly shafts, the seal and the different thread acorn nut I need all as one purchase....

GENUINE TRIUMPH ROCKER SPINDLE 71-3549 1973-83 T120V TR7 TIGER T140.

I have measured a bunch of end caps removed from spindles (can't tell which spindles), and all of them have the same O ring groove dimensions. The O/D of the spindle is approx 15.9mm (5/8") , O/D of the groove is 14.1mm, with a groove width of 1.7mm. I have scrolled spindles, but they are all built into refurbed rocker boxes, maybe Don will measure his, as he is at that stage of rebuild? At least we'll know any difference in O ring required!

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
Les Harris is a bit more than that ... The L.F. Harris company is one of the big four wholesalers that supply the vast majority of Triumph and BSA spares (the others are Aerco, Wassell and Emgo).
Excellent historical information, thanx.

I'm a smarter man today. (at least for as long as I can remember these details)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 · (Edited)
I believe my list is complete. You know how you can't help but feel you've forgotten something though right?

Gotta love these simple engines, no triple layer steel reinforced composite head gaskets here. All these parts cost less than one head gasket for my modern diesel car!

So from top to bottom I've got:

• 4x Rocker inspection cover red fibre washers, 70-3751
  • 2x Scrolled spindle 71-3549 plus seal O-ring and 3/8" UNF nut
  • 6x Rocker spindle thrust washer 70-1575 (gotta have spares for when I drop one into an alternative dimension never to be seen again)
  • 3x Thackery washer 70-1574 (ditto)
  • 2x Rocker box gasket 70-9348
  • 1x 9-bolt copper head gasket 70-4547
  • 5x Push rod top seal 71-1283
  • 2x PRT square silicone seal 70-4752
  • 2x PRT square silicone seal 70-3547 (which may or may not be used in place of 4752 depending on crush)
  • 2x PRT wedding bands 71-1707
  • 2x Tappet block O-ring 70-8782
  • 1x Cylinder base gasket 70-6309

Rocker banjo seals should just be copper washers which I've got loads of. Curiously I can't actually find them on the exploded diagram for the cylinder head like everything else.

That's all ordered ^^^...last remaining thing to consider is tappet adjusters. At the moment I've got a mix of male 'square drive' ones and female allen ones, I assume the former are OE Triumph and the latter are pattern/newer? Any thoughts on which is superior?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Any thoughts on which is superior?
Subjective really, as long as they're both manufactured properly there shouldn't be any difference in performance. I've got the OEM style square drive ones fitted now and with the more limited access on the 500 engine my bulky adjuster and locknut spanners get in each other's way. I prefer the allen type which I previously had, with the feeler guage inserted I could twiddle a 3/32 " driver bit or allen key with my fingers to adjust the gap and then tighten the locknut. Probably not an issue on your 650 which looks to have better access to the adjusters (and more potential to drop the allen bit in).

Chris
Adjuster.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
221 - 235 of 235 Posts