Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!

To ride or Replace?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i bought shinko 705s and had them installed on my 18 t120 today. Didn't feel like it was handling the best and was a little sluggish. I thought maybe just new tires im not used to it etc. Get home and gf says that textured center on the front tire is weird. I went to look and you guessed it, the front tire rubbed on the fender all the way home. I've ordered the fender lift kit from bc and i feel like i know the answer, but would yall ride this tire or call it an expensive lesson and buy a new one? Obviously the bike is sitting until i get the lift installed at the minimum, but dammit it does look good with these tires馃檮

Registered
If the heat from rubbing the fender didn't cook the tire, I would try to some wear out of it.
But not if you think it overheated the tire.

Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
Agree. Ride and inspect frequently. It you see white cord/belt material below the tread get a new tire ASAP. It not you will probably wear the rough surface down and have an acceptable tire for around town use for another thousand miles at least. BUT ABSOLUTELY NO CANYON CARVING!!!!!

Registered
It is too bad that you can't lift the fender up a 1/2" or so to provide enough space for that tire to clear. The BC kit will lift the fender very high like the bike is going to go through heavy mud and mounted that way will provide little protection should you ever ride through any water or rain - should it ever rain out your way ever again. No hardware store solution to this issue? I'd get rid of the tire, we only have two of them to ride on,

Registered
2009 Bonneville T100
That tire is absolutely unsafe, no way should you ride on it. Not to mention when you lean left and throw it down the road your insurance company will decline the claim.

Registered
When I was looking around at that type of tyre for my T120 I discounted the Shinko because the only 18鈥 size (available here at least) was 120/80, compared to the 100/90 OEM size. It鈥檚 also a front/rear rather than a purpose build front. While that size gives only something like 2% notional increase in diameter, it has almost 9% taller sidewall, which means it has a flatter cross section. Put that on a rim that鈥檚 a bit narrow for it and the tread probably gets pushed into more of a dome with consequent increase in circumference. So while on paper it looks like it shouldn鈥檛 cause a problem it looks like putting it on the Bonneville rim has. Even if you can clear the guard I鈥檇 be concerned about the handling.
For what it鈥檚 worth, I opted for Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR which comes in 110/80 and has no clearance issues.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was looking around at that type of tyre for my T120 I discounted the Shinko because the only 18鈥 size (available here at least) was 120/80, compared to the 100/90 OEM size. It鈥檚 also a front/rear rather than a purpose build front. While that size gives only something like 2% notional increase in diameter, it has almost 9% taller sidewall, which means it has a flatter cross section. Put that on a rim that鈥檚 a bit narrow for it and the tread probably gets pushed into more of a dome with consequent increase in circumference. So while on paper it looks like it shouldn鈥檛 cause a problem it looks like putting it on the Bonneville rim has. Even if you can clear the guard I鈥檇 be concerned about the handling.
For what it鈥檚 worth, I opted for Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR which comes in 110/80 and has no clearance issues.
Well now that's a very informed and well thought out response. I'm waiting on a fork stabilizer before i try riding it. So I'll report back on handling. I'm doing high fender with motone fork brace which will actually be under the fender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts