Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
12,500 miles on the stock Metzeler Lasertec (on left):New ME880 (on right)

Unfortunately, rust seems to be a problem on the Triumph steel rims. There was no rubber rim strip on the wheel. Also, the mushroom nut on one of the spokes was within a couple of threads from falling off inside the tire.

New Metzler ME880 tire.

Ready to ride:

jb

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
12,500 miles?? thats incredible - I got barely 2000 miles on my Sport Demon rear. That's the difference between touring and sport compounds. I am giving Bridgestone BT45's a go to see if I can get more mileage yet still handle the curves with confidence.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got 12,500 miles on my tires before I switched them out just now. While the rear had a flat spot with no thread, the front was fine, but I wanted to try out some different tires.

I slapped on the Avon Roadriders that I got for a good price from JC Whitney. (enter SAVENOW for free shipping for those that are in the market for a new set of tires).

Man, changing the tires (especially the rear) is a total PITA...I'm writing myself a how-to because it took me two days to put the rear on whereas it takes me 2 minutes to put the rear wheel on my Daytona 675

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
how the heck do you keep from sliding off the bike with that beaded seat?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how the heck do you keep from sliding off the bike with that beaded seat?!
Surprising enough, the beads are not slippery. They also allow air to circulate under my butt... no monkey butt.

I used the Bead Rider on a trip from NC to AZ and back last Oct... was able to ride all day long without a sore rear end.

jb

·
30,533 Posts
I like your tyre changing tool - is that the Harbor Frieght one or did you get that somewhere else?

I'm getting about 10000 miles out of the front lasertec. 5000 on the rear.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Changed my LaserTech at about 11 thousand. Looked like yours, only slightly better. I bought new LaserTechs. My rims, however, had the spoke band. Yours look pretty rusty. I'd be annoyed that this is so!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like your tyre changing tool - is that the Harbor Frieght one or did you get that somewhere else?

I'm getting about 10000 miles out of the front lasertec. 5000 on the rear.
The tire changer is from Cycle Hill. Made by No-Mar, I believe.

My stock rear tire made it to 7,500 miles, then 5,000 miles more on a Chinese tire I purchased while on a trip (was the only one available).

I'm glad to now have the ME880's on the front and rear.

...My rims, however, had the spoke band. Yours look pretty rusty. I'd be annoyed that this is so!
I wasn't too happy about the rim. It took quite a while with a brass wire brush to remove the rust. Then I put some heavy duty duct tape on the rim before mounting the tire.

I purchased the bike used about a year ago with 1,500 miles on the odometer, so no recourse as to warranty.

jb

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just changed the rear tire at 12,100. It had a flat center stripe with no tread remaining in the middle...maybe I could have pushed it further but... better safer than sorry. My front tire looks almost exactly the same as the one pictured here, perhaps worn a little bit more with the wear bars just starting to show through. I am also going to replace with a new ME 880 which is on order which should arrive today. I guess I'll find out the condition of the front rim this weekend. My rear wheel had no rust whatsoever and had the rim strip in place and in very good shape. Perhaps I'm lucky... the rust was the first thing I looked for having read a bunch of posts from folks who had it. If I have rim rust on the front I'll probably remove it and apply rustoleum paint before re-mounting...

Changing the rear tire and remounting did not seem that difficult and I used only 9 inch long levers. I was a little afraid to pump too much pressure to get the beads to pop back into place. Windex as a lubricant just did not seem slick enough. Dish soap & water did the trick, they popped into place somewhere around 50 PSI or maybe a little less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts