Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts
G

·
Just purchased a 1050 (1st March) and have to say that I am very pleased with the bike. About 700 miles on the clock and building the revs up in line with the recommendations - no point in doing anything else really !!

I've read all about the grabby clutch and notchy gearbox, but it's not anywhere near as bad as some of the press make out, and the gearbox should improve through time.

Only observation (sic) I would make is the suspension seemed to be a bit hard on what should have been on factory settings (16 clicks out) when checked the screw was fully in - no bloody wonder it was a firmer than expected ride!!

Not good from Triumph or dealer :mad: (if this is part of the PDI).

Checked all the other settings and they were all as should be. Proves it's worth double checking the settings before setting off, and not just assuming because it's new it will be set as standard.

Anyhow since playing around with the settings the bike is sorted and a lot more comfortable than it was !!

Bike stomps along tho' and in high winds it doesn't get as much buffeting as I would have thought. Handles really well in all aspect - and is firmly planted when committed through corners. Cannot wait for more than the one dry day I've had it out............

Out in the cold and wet I dropped a gear to overtake a couple of cars and ended up with the rear wheels spinning and stepping out slightly, no real drama - but the Tiger does not need as many gearchanges as other bikes I've ridden due to the torquey motor. Part of the learning curve with a new bike!

I bought the ABS model (extras being centre stand alarm & heated grips - must be getting old man syndrome!) and when practicing with it's stopping power, I have to say I am very impressed with the anchors - really hard braking before ABS kicks in - well done Triumph :)

That's about it - stomping bike, handles well, is sure footed, loads of torque, comfy seat, warm hands in the cold..........what else is needed to increase the grin factor?

[ This message was edited by: Fiferat on 2007-03-09 10:32 ]

· Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Attended the Triumph open house at Atlanta Triumph, "The Daytona for the rest of us", this past weekend and had a chance to ride the new Tiger. First let me say I've never ridden the old Tiger so I really can't make any comparisons (but I have sat on a few) between them.

The riding position is spot on perfect. The bars seem a little wide but I ride a Daytona so I expected that. The engine is flawless!!! I was really impressed with the smooth tourquey delivery from any rpm - truly amazing. My '96 Daytona would be hard pressed to keep up with the new Tiger on a twisty back road. I'd leave it in the straights but who cares this Tiger is all about handling and corner carving. The brakes... OMG they're so awesome! Triumph has put together a really nice package here, great smooth engine with plenty of power, great suspension and brakes, comfy if a bit tall even for my 6'-0" frame.

As far as taking it off road I'd say it could be done maybe not as easily as the old Tiger but I take my Daytona down forest service roads, through shallow creeks and steep gravel roads on occasion and I know the new Tiger could deal with anything I'd ever want to do with it.

Things I'd have to change (or wish Triumph would change): an underseat exhaust, the one off the Sprint ST would do just fine and that would give you more luggage space, adjustable ride height, taller shield, luggage rack, that's it. Great bike!

dc

[ This message was edited by: daytonacharlie on 2007-03-12 20:39 ]

· Registered
962 Posts
I made it up to one of the Triumph Open House events this past Saturday. I rode up to Capital Area Triumph near Harrisburg, PA. There weren't many riders there, but that was fine by me cause no lines for the demo bikes. They had a nice blue demo Tiger 1050 available, and another black one inside (which was gorgeous).

I was very impressed with the 1050 Tiger. It felt very precise and the design is very modern and minimalistic. The seat is very wide and supportive. The front end gets light when you get on the throttle. It's got a nice bit of hooligan in it. It felt very comfortable and natural.

Here are some pics. I saw the Star Barn (local landmark) while I was out on the demo run, so I thought it would make a fine backdrop.

I also tested a Sprint 1050, which was great, but I liked the Tiger better. If I ever scrape enough money together, I may have to buy one someday. You people that have one are quite lucky as the Tiger 1050 was once of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden.

:drool:

G

·
I was also able to ride a new Tiger this last weekend here in Central snowy Wisconsin. Only about 3 miles, but very impressed. Like the high riding position over my Thruxton. I think I got over my mid life crisis last year with the Thruxton and will go to a Tiger. Mirrors have been talked about a lot on these. Has anyone talked or is it viable to mount bar end mirrors on the new Tiger???? That is what I would like!!! Will go back to test ride again soon. What kind of $$$ can a guy get these dealers down to??? My 06 Blue Thruxton is for sale, now!! [email protected]

G

·
I finally dragged myself away from work and test rode the new tiger. First impressions:

-Just a tad taller then my Honda ST1100
-Feels like you are sitting on a big dirt bike
-the bags look like they are really high quality and they are BIG!
-Seat's really hard (but thats not a negative)
-WS seems small

After A quick ride (10 min maybe) here are my impressions:

-The small shield really works! We were on the interstate on a REALLY windy day. MY ST was being blown around pretty good going to the dealer, but the Tiger handled the cross wind much better. It was nice to really see over the WS, unlike my ST

It dives quite a bit on hard breaking, but I guess that's to be expected with so much fork travel.

Bike seemed much lighter then my ST....Becasue it is! LOL.

Didn't really get a chance to lean it over much but it seemed pretty good at the roads we hit.

So, all in all a very positive ride. I saw a blue one they were prepping and it's really nice. Now to just convince the SO that I REALLY need a newer bike.

G

·
hello all from New Zealand,
Well, I came to this amazing country 9 months ago , leaving my Kawasaki ZZR1200 in UK. I bought a new speed triple here and loved it. However just a short 2300kMs later I took a new Tiger for a 300km test ride- that was 3 weeks ago- My new gold Tiger is being picked up tomorrow morning. :-D

The Tiger is soooo much more comfortable on a 3 hour ride- roads here are long and gentle curves but can be a bit uneven. It is a tall bike for me at 5ft 9ins and a bustard to get on, with its high ass end. However, it is fabulous once aboard, and I am looking forward to the roar of the tors pipe which will be arriving shortly. I will let you guys know about this pipe as I have been unable to find any user info anywhere. Roll on tomorrow :razz:

G

·
I picked up today a new 2007 Tiger ( black) and traded in a 2007 Kawasaki KLR 650. The first few miles show the bike to be a future classic. I'm 6'5' and 265 lbs. The seat is amazingly comfortable but the pegs could be positioned more comfortably for me. The handling and balance was great as some gusting winds tested the stability of the bike. Since the recommended break-in is 3500 rpm for the first 100 miles I haven't tried to put it through any challenges but it was more than willing to accelerate. Best feature I appreciate so far though is the brakes. I haven't increased the preload from the dealer setup but there was no significant nose diving on the few harder test stops I tried.

· Registered
69 Posts
I saw the Scorched Yellow at the dealer in Fort Worth, and it made me think of adding another bike to the stable! I want to test ride one, but then I don't because I'll want it. Congrats to everyone that has one already, it's a beautiful bike!

· Registered
576 Posts
I am getting alot of helmet wind buffeting from my 07 Tiger. When I lift my my butt off the seat about 4" I am in still air. I am getting the lowering brackets installed soon.That may help or hurt I do not know. It seems to me since the clean air is just about 4" above my head a taller windscreen will be worse. I am thinking a smaller windscreen or a reshaped same size screen. Any ideas?

G

·
this is my first post. I went and rode the new tiger after first riding a BMW R12GS and I have to say i am impressed, I will most likely get one soon, but did anyone else notice the rear brake lever as hard to reach? is this adjustable? i forgot to ask the dealer.

love this site!

· Registered
172 Posts
You may have seen my rant on the 07 Tigger in the F800/07 Tigger thread.

I've had a good nights sleep and a ride on my '02 now to reflect on and these are my impressions:

Engine/transmission: Spins up much more quickly than the 955 and feels to have less flywheel. This may be the source of those complaints about the gearchange. I struggled to make smooth changes but this was my fault. The shift is lighter and more precise than the 955 and with time and experience would shift well. Great power, feel and sound. Top marks!

Handling/brakes. A little dive under heavy braking but this is a long travel suspension compromise you can live with. This thing is a hoot to ride and throw over on its side, but IMHO its all happening a little more slowly and less surefootedly then if you were on the Sprint. I think the only way you'd choose this over a Sprint is if you needed the extra comfort the brillient riding position offers. Me? I'm still flexible enough to ride the Sprint all day so that's what I'd choose, keeping my '02 for adventure riding of course!

General. The screen still sucks. Its a lot better and it doesn't buffet much but is still too noisy. I'm 6"3" and 'she' is 5"11". The seat doesn't work for us. 'She's' helmet sits about 4" higher than mine and she doesn't like the wind pressure or the way she feels like she is sliding forward into the rider. If I really wanted the bike a seat remodel would be in order. Comparing this machine's fit and finish with Ducati and BMW products I tried last week showed Triumph can take a bow. They really are making quality stuff now.

So a fun, interesting bike, but not for me. The free bags and centerstand that come with the Sprint just add weight to the argument. I'll buy a silver one with ABS when we move from Darwin at the end of the year.

G

·
I have been researching this bike for about 6 months and have finally purchased a Fusion White ABS Tiger. WOW! What can I say that has not already been said. It is beautiful, smooth and Fast as HELL! I am still on the break-in schedule, and will report later after 500 miles. I'm very impressed with the fit, form, and function of the entire bike. I am very happy!! :cool:

G

·
60 minute test on Thursday - beautiful - pretty much perfect (or "Purrfect," as the sign at the dealer said). Put down a deposit on the spot, and am picking up my new Tiger next Friday. The demonstrator had the optional touring screen fitted - I did not experience the buffeting some people have mentioned at legal speeds.

G

·
Hi,

Test rode the new gold 2007, great looks great power, wife loved it pillion, only dissapointing thing was the transmission.

I'm afraid it was a real let down for me, I've never been a fan of chunky changes but this particular bike was shocking.

Try as I might over an hours test ride with various different techniques of shifting, but I couldnt budge the horrendous clunk shift!

Dealer tells me just a Triumph characteristic, but on here it would seem not?
Says it will settle in??

Personally I think the chain may have been a bit slack, and only had 1200km on it, and being a demo would have had a hiding!

Said needed a service..... I'm hoping its not a bad box, I'd hate to buy one and get a ***** gbox.

I'm considering the sprint, but see on here a few trading in sprints for tigers so maybe I'm on right track.

Like the gold, although told not available here in Oz anymore??

I will be buying one but finances dictate waiting till Jan 08, not too long, hopefully 08 model may have some nice extras standard.

Has to be one of smartest looking bikes in a long while though.

Would turn heads over almost anything parked near it.

G

·
Hi,
Just joined this site and thought I would add my two penny'th.....

I picked up my Tiger on March 1 and now, 2500 miles later is 'nicely' run in and a fantastic bike.

Things of note... as I'm a bit of a short arse I ordered the low seat, but it doesn't make much difference. I think I may have spent the money better by putting it towards a Hagon / Maxton shock with a lower overall height... anyone got a veiw on this?

And the gearbox. I was really disappointed with the notchiness, but at 1000 miles it suddenly became sweet. So stick with it if you've just bought one!

And as someone else has mentioned, the rear brake lever is a long way down.

I had the front brake recall / ammendment done.... made a huge difference.

PS.. anyone going to Tridays?

· Registered
28 Posts
I've only had mine for a day, and about 250 miles. Very pleased, thus far. Great engine: power delivery, smoothness, torquey, responsive, revs quickly enough, and sounds very nice (TOR). The handling is also very good. It's a bit top-heavy, but there's no real way around that w/the long travel suspension. Rolls through turns very nice and smoothly. Brakes are great, and the seat is comfy. I also found the windshield very acceptable, but not perfect. No real complaint, though. The shifting is also very slick on upshifts, a little notchy on downshifts. I found "prepping" the shifter properly and shifting as the clutch is pulled in (and revs are still up), makes the shifts more than acceptable. Heck, it's downright slick on upshifts.

Did I mention I liked the engine? A lot. Very pleased...

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.