Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Tangerine 100. I fittedthe triumph extenders on my 2004 Tiger and found they helped both with visibility and wind turbulence, so I will be looking for some when my new 1050 arrives. Am wondering if my existing will fit before I part x it. Might take them off on the off chance and try.

· Registered
50 Posts
Rode to the dealer today to see the yellow/gold Tiger.
Got to sit on it since it was sold. Felt great and lighter.

The only thing that jumped out at me was.
weld seams on side between tank seat were really
noticable. Ugly imho. Like they had not finished the grinding smooth process. Why would they do that?

anyway, I'd still like to ride one and then consider.

· Registered
4 Posts
Chilly day, but couldn't resist a ride when the dealer called to say he'd just prepped his first Tiger. First impressions much like everyone else's:
-- It is a beautiful bike [this one was white - looked great with the blue trim and logo]
-- Tranny was very smooth-shifting despite what some reviewers have written
-- Throttle reponse is immediate! No flat spots in power band at all
-- Levers and brake pedal all felt out of place, but adjustments are there
-- Windscreen does a good job of keeping turbulence off
-- Muffler will make it hard to mount aftermarket panniers. Anyone know about aftermarket dual pipes that would allow mounting panniers tighter in?

· Registered
159 Posts
How quickly do these new Tigers start up in the morning? I have read they have a new injector system that make for immediate start ups. Is it a simple press of the starter switch and VROOOM or do you have to crack the throttle partially etc. etc. etc. as you do on the older Sprints?

· Registered
576 Posts
For a better view in your mirrors somone may want to check the ZRX web site(www.ZRXOA.org.) The mirror blocks they sell for the ZRX mirrors fit really good on the last generation Tigers. They are aluminum blocks that make the mirrors fit about 3" further out. This way you do not need longer stalks.
Jamboa

· Registered
521 Posts
On 2007-01-27 14:39, bareyb wrote:
How quickly do these new Tigers start up in the morning? I have read they have a new injector system that make for immediate start ups. Is it a simple press of the starter switch and VROOOM or do you have to crack the throttle partially etc. etc. etc. as you do on the older Sprints?
Yep, just tap the starter and vrooom starts right up unlike the '06 S3 I had. I did notice a time or two, when fully warmed up and starting the bike there was a bit of delay on start up like the S3. But maybe not quite as long. Over all it starts much faster and comes into idle much smoother than my S3.

· Registered
159 Posts
On 2007-01-29 20:10, playinthestreet wrote:
+1 on quicker starting. Have only put 50 mi or so on in the rain, but I'm NOT missing the Sprint. Sitting up straight and seeing better goes a long way for this old guy.
I'm really thinking very hard about trading in my Sprint too. My local dealer doesn't have any new Tigers yet, but I'm sure looking forward to a test ride. I really like the Sprint, but the Tiger is exactly what I've been waiting for.

[ This message was edited by: bareyb on 2007-01-31 01:44 ]

· Registered
145 Posts
nice looking bike. i'm 5'9" and i don't think i'm all that vertically challenged. the bike didn't seem any lower that the old bike . the seat didn't look good for a second rider. it doesn't come with the bags. for the same money you can buy the ST and it seems more suited for distance and two up ridding. the ST has more HP and the same engine? again, it is a very nice looking bike and looks better than the old tiger. joe

G

·
Hello Folks,

I have just registered on this forum after taking a new Tiger out for a test ride yesterday.

Here's a report I posted about the experience on the V-Strom forum where I am UK moderator.

Ok. Here's my quick report: (please forgive nay typos )

The bike I got to test ride was blue, non-ABS with the taller ‘touring’ screen fitted and luggage racks (but no cases). It had about 1200 miles on the clock. I was out for about an hour and did about 50 miles on a range of roads.

ENGINE

I really loved the engine. It felt like having the best of both worlds to me with the smoothness of the DL650 with KLV1000 power .. and then some! At first I thought it was not quite as quick accelerating as the big Strom, but soon realised it was, it was just smoother and did not seem as exciting. Or at least that was what I did think until I approached a tight bend I am quite familiar with and usually take about 50 mph on the Stroms, only to realise I was actually doing 78 mph but the Tiger coped fine!!!

One thing I missed a lot was the engine braking. This nearly caught me out a few times.

GEARS

The gear change is very smooth and quiet. The cable clutch is really light like the 650. The gearing seems rather low to me after the KLV1000. I kept finding myself in 6th and trying to change up like I do on 650. An O/D or some other top gear indicator would be useful.

It felt like you could ride this bike all day in top gear unless you encounter serious traffic or hair pin bends.

BRAKES

The brakes are a bit better than the 1000s and much better than the 650s. I am still tempted by the ABS option.

SUSPENSION

This was also very good and coped with all sorts of road surfaces.

RIDING POSITION

I felt like I was sitting a little lower but generally in the same sort of up right position as the V-Strom. There will be a taller seat option next month and I will definitely need that.

I would need to adjust the angles of the brake and clutch lever and the rear brake pedal to suit me, but I had to do this on the Stroms.

FITTINGS

There were a number of disappointments for me here:

1. The mirrors are useless – too low down and too narrow for me. I could only see behind me when I was leaned over. I guess this will be easily solved with some stalk extensions?
2. I hate digital speedos. If you are accelerating/decelerating then its just a blur of 888s. Having said that I focus more on the revs meter on the Strom and generally know my approx speed from that so should be able to learn the signs on the Tiger;
3. If there was a clock, I could not find it? There was a timer but no clock from what I could see? Unless I missed it, this is a stupid omission.
4. The cooling fan seemed to come on very easily when in moderate traffic. It was showing six bars on the temp gauge but I am not sure how many this was out of?
5. I really missed the handguards and heated grips as it was a freezing cold day. Obviously these can be added.
6. The sidestand and spring felt very fragile.

PERFORMANCE

In town the bike was very easy to ride. It seemed happy at low speeds in almost any gear. I performed a few U-turns on the roads I used to train on and it felt as easy as it used to on a little GS500.

On fast sweeping roads in was great. It corners very well and overtakes easily. You just put it in top gear and forget about it .. rather like the 650 but with double the power.

On the motorway it was very stable. I took it up to an indicated 126 mph. There was not buffeting but the wind blast at that speed did put quite a strain on my neck. I thought my helmet was going to blow off!!! At normal motorway speeds of about 95 mph it was very comfortable.

On tighter countries roads with rough surfaces and lose gravel it was very reassuring. On roundabouts I was more confident on this bike than either of my own.

SUMMARY

I really like this bike and am 75% sold.

I am still unsure about the luggage options and want to solve the mirrors issue before I commit.

G

·
Si, just read your post on your first ride. having been out on a 7 mile old demo bike today i'd agree with all you say. Great engine, great riding position and looks good. Small gripes are the clocks need a definite look down to see the speed (there was a clock on my speedo). The gearbox on the new bike was a bit clunky, but I'm sure that would get smoother given some more miles, the mirrors are ***** - but an easy fix with some mirror extenders. All in all a great bike with more than enough power to have fun. Having ridden a BMW 1200GS, K1200S (an absolute rocket) a Multistrada and a Sprint ST (last year), this is the best I've tried soooo I've firmed up my order for a Blue ABS version which should be here (USA) in March so they say. Ordered a centre stand and fender extender to start with as extras

Cheers

Sprocket (Blackburn Rovers Fan !)

· Registered
25 Posts
On 2006-12-02 11:01, 12004 wrote:
Very interesting post from Bonnylad. I'll wait on the spring test rides here in the states before I make a move.
Scheduled maintaince is something I keep in mind.
A Duc?... Big$
A Beemer?... they are having some final drive problems and they are over priced.
A Guzzi?... Weak dealer network in the states.
A Tiger?... Strong possiblity.

Ducs aren't that bad now. Reasonable price and all new ones have 7000 mile service intervals.

The cost of owning Ducs has always been grossly overstated. I do my Supersport once a year, but do change the oil every 2000.

If you want a Tiger my 2005 might be for sale soon.
:-g

G

·
I haven't demoed the new Tiger yet, but i just put a $500 deposit down on my dealer's first Fusion White Tiger. It should be in withing the month. I'll get my demo ride in at Daytona in a couple of weeks.

I just sold my 2004 V-Strom on Ebay. In 31000 miles, I only had it off road for about 100 miles. I think the new Tiger will fit my needs and be much more nimble than the V-Strom.

I also own a 2002 Bonneville, so now I'll have two Triumpns in the stable!

· Registered
43 Posts
I just put a deposit on a 2007 White Tiger yesterday, hopefully take delivery week after next. I am trading in an '04 Tiger, Black with 13,000 miles. All maintenance is up to date(done by me, not the dealer). I have the following accessories for the '04; panniers, Touratech engine guard, Marsee tank bag, Triumph gel seat. Located in Salt Lake City, Utah.
If anyone is interested, please PM me.....

G

·
Hello all. I have purchased the only (so far) example of the new '07 Tiger in Idaho and I absolutely love it. I must admit it is the first Triumph that I have ever owned. I will say that the bike is well balanced. Engine is strong. Although I have only about 70 miles on her now so I technically cant exceed 3500 RPM. I will say the bike seems to operate better as the revs come up. Comfort is first rate. Very comfortable riding position (6'1") and little wind to speak of. Overall I'd say excellent handling, superior comfort and great performance. I love it!

Andy

· Registered
662 Posts
How did it happen, how come they are selling the new tiger without a centre stand or an accessory socket, ( amongst other things). Answer I got was that no one uses them. So how come they are std on the sprint.??? Silence.

RIP OFF TRIUMPH

And how come we are asked to pay more for a bike with less weather protection.

And how come Ive just bought one. DOHHHHH! :???: :???: :???:

G

·
My local dealer has two Tigers on the floor and my ABS tiger should be there in the next two weeks. This is worse than Christmas ever was as a kid! I have read with jealousy the posts by the riders that all ready have their new bikes. I too will soon be astride my Tiger!

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.