Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am making this topic 'Sticky' so that it stays at the top of the forum page.

If you test ride the new Tiger, or you are in line for one of the first production models, please take a few moments to share your experiences with us. I am sure that there are more than a few of us waiting to hear what you reckon ????

Thanks

Jim - Bigstripey

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well ive done it. Test road today allbeit only a 30 minute ride but was suitably impressed. Bevans of Cardiff have 2 in stock, black and yellow, the yellow is the test machine. Less than 100 miles on the clock so had to go easy and I am not technically knowledeable but here are my thoughts.
1 Loved the look of it.
2 The difference in weight was really noticeable
3 Engine suberb
4 Gearchange smooth. I kept waiting for the clunk to know id hit the gear, but it never came.
5 Steering vastly improved feel and feedback
6 Suspension felt a bit firmer.
7 Loved the riding position. Little change.
8 Feet were firmly planted so could tell it was slighly lower.
9 Mirrors good. No vibes and plenty of adjustment so could avoid shoulders.
10 Wind was hitting shoulders but no turbulence (5 foot 11")
11 This machine has no pretence for going off road. If ou want a trailie dont buy it.
Me. I have ordered an ABS model due March. So if anyone is looking for extras I will soon be selling MRA screen, blue flame exhaust, gel seat and lucifer top box. If anyone is looking to spend their Chrismas money in the New Year let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sounds like a great bike and congratulations on the new acquisition.

On 2006-12-01 09:47, RGCH wrote:
Well ive done it. Test road today allbeit only a 30 minute ride but was suitably impressed. Bevans of Cardiff have 2 in stock, black and yellow, the yellow is the test machine. Less than 100 miles on the clock so had to go easy and I am not technically knowledeable but here are my thoughts.
1 Loved the look of it.
2 The difference in weight was really noticeable
3 Engine suberb
4 Gearchange smooth. I kept waiting for the clunk to know id hit the gear, but it never came.
5 Steering vastly improved feel and feedback
6 Suspension felt a bit firmer.
7 Loved the riding position. Little change.
8 Feet were firmly planted so could tell it was slighly lower.
9 Mirrors good. No vibes and plenty of adjustment so could avoid shoulders.
10 Wind was hitting shoulders but no turbulence (5 foot 11")
11 This machine has no pretence for going off road. If ou want a trailie dont buy it.
Me. I have ordered an ABS model due March. So if anyone is looking for extras I will soon be selling MRA screen, blue flame exhaust, gel seat and lucifer top box. If anyone is looking to spend their Chrismas money in the New Year let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just completed a 55 mile test ride on the new Tiger from Eddies of Leeds. My 05 Tiger had several problems which over 12000 miles became issues. Height and weight were the main concerns, both reduced on the new Tiger. It handled well, braked well, and was comfortable yet I did not feel involved in the riding. I currently have a Bonneville and just love to ride, snow rain or hail. It lacks power,brakes and wind protection yet is always fun, The Tiger is a bit bland in comparrison, justy very efficient.
The instruments give all sorts of information, very impressive on a test ride but I imagine not much use in the longrun. You can see the time, trip distance, average fuel consumption etc but only one at once. I would prefer a clock and two trip meters.
The seat gave no problems once I was aboard. Im 6'1 and had to clime on from the left, with the bike on its side stand. I could not get my leg over the pillion grab rails from the right
The engine was smooth enough, pulled well from 2000 provided you were moving. The gearbox was stiff and difficult to engage neutral and the clutch pull was heavy.
Fuel consumption 19mpg while accelerating up hill, 85 while driving down hill (see how much use a fuel consumption meter is) with an indicated overall of 52 mpg. Not bad for a tight engine.
So have I bought one,
No, I would not be dissapointed to own one, and once I was used to it could grow to love its nimble feel, yet I think I would always be look for something else.
Ill try a new 1100 Multistarada and BMW 1200gs next. Its time to change and my money is burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked at the multistrada,I cannot imagine it looking clean for long, and how can i sell a 18000 mile old Ducati in two years time? The BMW was just too expensive.
I ended up trying a Kawasaki Versys 650 twin, and was surprised how good it felt. Solid but light steering. good brakes, a superbly tractable engine and all for £4800. It felt better than the Tiger. I know this should not be, so I think its best to wait for warmer weather when both bikes are fully run in and try them again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Very interesting post from Bonnylad. I'll wait on the spring test rides here in the states before I make a move.
Scheduled maintaince is something I keep in mind.
A Duc?... Big$
A Beemer?... they are having some final drive problems and they are over priced.
A Guzzi?... Weak dealer network in the states.
A Tiger?... Strong possiblity.

Cheer's,

Tom.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just had an hour on the new Tiger and I can honestly say that it is a fabulous bike. Great engine is a given but it pulls from nowhere and will cruise at 110+ no problem with no hunting for 7th gear, add to that superb handling, road holding, gearbox, decent wind protection - no buffeting, though wind was directed to my chest - being 6'3". Decent instruments with trip computer, comfy seat (well fine for the 60 mins I had..) Negatives are all easily fixable (but should be there already IMHO..) - no centre stand, panniers, heated grips, rear rack, hand guards or fairing stowage though there is underseat stowage, enough for waterproofs . Didn't try the pillion seat but I never carry one though it'll be a consideration for many. Is it a real Tiger? not if what you want is a mock trially with a modicum of off road potential, but it does feel as familiar as the bike I rode to the showroom just a good bit better. So in my opinion it is; I just wish I could justify trading in my 05 but I still love it so I'll wait for a couple of years until they add the extras that I want. To those about to take delivery of one - you won't be disappointed - gits...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't test ridden one yet, but put down $500 to reserve one. (Black). It will be here in January. I have researced quite a few bikes: FJR, St 1300, FZ1 etc. I have a Bonneville now but want one I can do a little longer distance riding on. After all the the reading I have done, I narrowed it down to the Tiger. Lots of good information here to help in my choice. Wish me well, I will report my ride when I get it. jack

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey Bthumper,

I too have one ordered and believe it will be a great well rounded machine. If you get yours before me let me know what to look forward to. :wink:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got a call from BMW of Salt Lake and mine will be here in about one week. I guess I'll have to take it south to ride it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
On 2006-12-07 10:39, playinthestreet wrote:
Got an email from Triumph this morning, mine's been shipped from GA.
Gosh, when did you guys order your bikes? I ordered one just over a month ago.

·
Registered
518 Posts
On 2006-12-07 18:20, BTHUMPER wrote:
I orderd mine 2 weeks ago.
That's great, looks like Triumph is a head of schedule in production. Maybe they told the dealers they would receive shipments in late January to February to give themselves some leeway. Hopefully mine will be shipped with yours. :-D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, just put another 140 miles on our demo in and around Cornwall & Devon and I have to say I'm seriously thinking of p/x'ing my faithfull rex for one. The only thing I found was that in traffic on a cold Friday afternoon in December in the centre of Plymouth my left hand really started hurting with all the extra clutch operations required, but this can easily be fixed by adjusting the clutch assy clamp on the handlebar to suit my riding position.
Seat is very comfy, sat in the saddle for nearly 3 hours in total and no numbness.
Engine performance is superb, handling awesome even on cold wet roads.
If I do get one I might have to wait until 2008 when no doubt Triumph will have heated grips, centre stand & panniers as standard :-D

·
Registered
57 Posts
On 2006-12-01 09:47, RGCH wrote:
When is soon (Top Box) and £?

Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also took the new Tiger out for a test run from Bevan's (think I spoke to RGCH after the ride).
I have never tried the Tiger before (I own a Trophy 900) so I was looking forward to the ride.
Only worry I had before the test ride was the bike's height (I'm 5'8, short legs, long body!) but I managed to touch the floor ok(ish!).I did ask if the seat could be lowered....the answer is no :( but they are bringing out an aftermarket seat soon (no doubt big bucks!).
So here's my impression of the Tiger:
what a nice bike!! Handling was superb and the engine has lots of torque. Looking down to the instrument panel while riding, they are easy to read and well laid out. The mirrors being so close to your arms concerned me at first (compared to the Trophy mirrors) but I soon got used to them and they give a good view.
Loved the riding position and the seat. I could of ridden that bike all day. Just wondering what the pillion seating position is like? will it be as comfortable as the riders?
I took the bike up to 80 mph at one point and expected to be hit quite a bit by the wind but the only wind pressure I really felt was on my exposed legs and even that wasn't too bad. For my riding position (upper body), the screen kept the wind pressure off me (on the Trophy it hits my shoulders and head with the stock screen).
The bikes handling (the roads were wet that day) put a grin on my face that only dropped when I had to hand back the bike :(
I was told the old Tigers fuel tank wasn't metal but the new one has a metal tank (handy for that tank bag!).
Only negative point, the rear brake pedal is set quite low down (others noticed this too) so you would have to push your right foot well down to brake (I used the front brake 95% of the time). Not much room either for adjustment.
Would I buy one? the answer has to be yes but with a lowered seat. What's stopping me from buying one? the wife :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
yet again - the single life gleams triumphant over wifey syndrome! And i can drink a beer for that and not get yelled at or made to sleep on the couch either :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts