Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a newbie that would greatly appreciate some advice. First, a little about my Tiger. It's a '95 carb model with just under 18k miles. I got it 2 weeks ago. I stumbled across this bike, did a little research, rode it, and did the deal. Everything seems to be in great condition for a 14 year old bike. I've already put a little over 500 miles on it without any issues. After riding a while, I do have some questions. First, riding at highway speed seems OK until I get to 75-80 mph. At this point I'm turning ~5000rpm and get some decent vibrations from the engine. From everything I've found on various forums, I think I need to adjust my sprocket size so I don't have to turn high rpms at highway speed. Does this sound like the right solution? Or should I be concerned about the engine vibrations at high rpm (i.e. is the vibration normal)? Can anyone recommend sprocket sizes for front and rear? Should I only change the front or rear? Also, what is the OEM sprocket size for this bike, I can't seem to find that info anywhere. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi adventurerider54 and Welcome to the forum !! a couple of things to check 1 is the chain to tight, Tiggers like it loose !! 2 hows the tyres, if they`re old and out of balance it could give you vibration !!

hope this helps !!

KK

ps what side of the pond, its good to know where owners are from ( not addresses ) :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KuzzinKenny:

Thanks for the info. The chain is loose but within spec. Tires look new, in fact they still had the "chicken strips" on them when I got the bike. They are Metzler Tourances. I've been doing some more research on various forums and I've read about riders wishing for a 7th gear. That appears to be my issue. I'm considering going to a 19t front sprocket. Bike runs great, but seems to need a higher gear to stretch it's legs comfortably on the highway.

I'm in the US, East TN to be exact (lots of great roads for riding:) ) If anyone would like to meet up for a weekend ride just let me know!

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
The chain is loose but within spec. ...snip..... I'm considering going to a 19t front sprocket. Bike runs great, but seems to need a higher gear to stretch it's legs comfortably on the highway.
Welcome Adventure54. Hope you enjoy your new (to you) Tiger!

One thing, forget about the chain tension specs, all Tiger owners now realise they're completely incorrect. The best way to get the correct tension is to sit on the bike, and sit someone else on with you. Check the freeplay in the middle of the run between the sprockets and it should be about 1/2 inch. If it's any less, you are way too tight. Any more, and it's too loose. The book says 40mm or there abouts on the side stand, they actually need about 60mm on the side stand.

Do this, then see if you still have the vibrations.

Some people go to 19 tooth front sprocket to reduce high speed RPM, but at 70 mph it will only give you 500rpm. Worth it, unless you go off the beaten track as well, where you will need a little lower gearing.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miker,

Tired you advice and the chain is not too tight. I really believe it's vibration from the engine at high RPM (5000+). I don't have any point of reference for Triumph's as this is my first. I rode a KLR prior to the Tiger and it would vibrate some at high RPM but it was in 6th gear and going 80+. My Tiger feels normal until the higher RPM (so much so that I think if I rode it at 75-80 mph for a few hours it would vibrate my feet and hands until they were numb). If I stay around 70 everything is fine. That's why I'm thinking I need the 19t sprocket to keep the RPM's below 5000. Anyone have experience with an 885 and engine vibration at high RPM? What's normal? Should a dealer check it out? If so, for what? Hopefully I don't have a problem and I'm just being paranoid :confused:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have a bit newer model, I'm not sure what your stock gearing is. Mine was 18X48 in stock form, and I thought the rpm's at cruise was a bit buzzy. I went to a 19T front for about 10K miles and did experience less buzzing. Since stump-pulling at home is done with my NX650, I decided to go one better and replace the rear - it needed to be replaced - with a 46T. I'm very happy now, the cruise is comfortable, and Maggie has enough low-end grunt to still be very rideable, even in off-road (well, semi-off road) situations. It also results in a bit better mileage on long trips!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the reply TusconBill. I think I'll start out with the 19t on the front and then consider your suggestion on the rear. I'm taking the bike in for a valve check, carb sync, and to have the front sprocket changed (turns out it's quite a job to get at he sprocket on this bike). After that I'll hopefully put a few thousand miles on it this summer/fall :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts