Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:)hi all im just wondering ive been out today with the wife onboard and the front end seemed a bit wobbly and there was a notchy feel to the front end and a scraping sound can anyone help im totaly new to biking and the tiger 955i is my first bike so im not sure what to do ive got a 3 month warranty with the bike from my local garage ive only had it for 4 weeks now:(

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi mate,

On a bike as new as yours I wouldn't expect the steering bearings to be worn, but that's what it sounds like to me.

With all that weight on the back of the bike (not insinuating anything !! ;)) the front end becomes very light. If the steering bearings are tight or worn it would show up as a "notchyness" as the bearings rub over each other.

Remember what your CBT Instructor taught you in element B of your training ??

To check the steering bearings, put the bike on the centre stand and put some weight on the back to lift the front wheel completely off the ground. Do a lock to lock check and the steering should move nice and smoothly without any notchyness, pinching of cables or rubbing on fixed and moving parts.

Then do a 60 degree check. Because the bike travels in a straight line most of it's life the steering bearings usually wear within 60 degrees of straight ahead. That's where any notchyness will show up.

If all that's ok the steering should be fine. If it's stiff or notchy the bearings are too tight or worn.

As for the scraping noise, I'm not sure what that could be :confused:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If its still under warranty, get it back to the shop and let them find out whats up !!

i take it your bike`s an 06 ( blue ) Tigger !! might be warped discs !!

keep us posted !!

KK

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks guys i phoned the garage today going to take the bike up this afternoon will let you know whats up with it and yes i an 06 tiger in blue:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
nothing wrong really

its o.k the bike just needed some adjustments that's all the chain was rubbing on the guard and needed lubing up we get a lot of sand blowing in from the beaches here in guernsey so the mechanic said keep the chain well lubed also had a lot of crud and sand behind the break pads so i need to clean it a bit more is all as i said i'm new to biking and the garage where really helpful and said if i had any questions or needed advice just to give him a call he's got a green tiger 04 they where brilliant very helpful thanks for all your advice and sorry to trouble you all have a great christmas and happy riding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts