Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without the benefit of experience, Triumph appear to have done a good job with the new Tiger 900. Great though it may appear, I prefer shaft drive and an electric screen and am considering the 1200 tiger. Early photographs show that the new tiger is looking relatively mature in design and could be ready for release in months. Does anyone have any idea when Triumph may bring this to the showrooms?

On another note, even if the new tiger sheds perhaps 15Kg, I am beginning to wonder what the real advantage would be to owners that never go off road and accept that the current iteration is heavy to move manually, but once on the road handles well?

The above is perhaps 'crystal ball' stuff, but I am genuinely interested if anyone can shed any light on it?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
If Triumph follows the same rules for the last run of bike announcements, you'll see something official from them in the fall. Then, during the winter they'll ship a bunch of bikes to some
warm southern hemisphere location for the media to ride. You should start seeing them in the dealerships around mid-late March of next year. Considering that the last "update" to the
1200 was nothing more than a paint job - Desert and Alpine editions, that bike is due for a major engineering change/update.

My guess is you'll see the same TFT screen as the 900, along with the bluetooth connectivity. Other than that and lightening the bike up a bit, I can't see where they would make too many
other changes. The 1200 already has the TSAS, Hill Hold Control (which is what I really wanted on the 900), and a host of other goodies, so what's left?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Perhaps I have been lucky, but I have had 2 FJR1300s with shaft drive and there has never been any problems. In fact, the Yamaha has proven to be bullet proof - just a shame that it is now too heavy. Having had a 1200GS in the past that needed a new battery, software updates, new screen, complete exhaust system - all in less than 10,000 miles, I am not sure I would want to go to BMW again. BTW, is it me, or is the boxer motor particularly noisy? Triumph triple is much better IMHO.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the 1200 Tiger, and its been great, but I don't know if I'd bother with shaft drive again. Very heavy, and I've heard of them breaking (they're not re-buildable) My last bike was a 955 Tiger, and I put a Scotoiler on it from day#1-I sold it at 63500 miles and it was only on its second chain. It meant the back wheel got covered in oily clag, but I never washed it so that didn't bother me. Chain adjustment was needed only every 1500 miles or so

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum :),

I've had modern Tigers' in various guises sine they were introduced in 1993, and have just sold my 2007 955i. You don't mention what type of riding you do, or whether you do it two up ??

For me, the 955 was almost the perfect bike.....great fuel range, plenty of power (but not quite enough for me), great two up, nimble and chuckable on the back roads, great on motorways and you could load it up with plenty of luggage.

If you're looking for a low maintenance (shaft drive, long service intervals) big powerful two up tourer that you can still have fun with on the back roads, I would say the 1200 is almost the perfect choice. Personally, for me, it doesn't have the fuel range I think a "Big Trailie" should have, but the things it does have swing the balance. Although I've never ridden the 900, I know it wouldn't have the "legs" for me, it would be too light, too small, etc.

I'm on the lookout for a 2018 1200 XRT, as it's the natural progression from the 955 for me. I can't justify £16K for a brand new one. In my opinion that's a ridiculous amount of money for a bike, and not the way manufacturers should be going. The weight isn't an issue for me either, as I'm tall enough, strong enough and skilled enough as a rider to handle it. If you've had FJ's and GS's, it shouldn't be a problem for you ?? I don't think the adjustable screen should be a deal breaker either.....once you have a screen set in the perfect position for you, then you never need to move it again. That can be achieved with any bike without an adjustable screen, we proved that on here by solving the 955 head buffeting issue. Took us a while to get there, but we did it ;)

So it's down to personal choice. Do you want the 900 which would be lighter, cheaper and chain drive, or do you want the 1200 which would be heavier, more expensive but much more versatile ??

Good luck with your choices mate, and keep us posted as to what you do :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks lobout and Tiger-G. The point regarding chain adjustment is something I had forgotten about when using something like a Scotoiler. Relatively recently retired so hoping to do a bit more than the current 4,000 or so miles a year. So 1500 mile adjustment would not be onerous.

Regarding my riding, it will be one-up long day trips of perhaps 150-200 miles a day using motorway to get to interesting A-roads and B-roads with some a few unclassified roads. FJR is great on Motorways and long sweeping A-roads, everything else has been a challenge. Nearly dropped it paddling around an unclassified - damaged my wrist instead!

Some B-roads and unclassified roads mean cambered junctions and the occasional need to turn the bike around (who said Sat navs were infallible?). Apart from that there will be runs to biker cafes etc to escape the DIY. I am about 5'9" with an inside leg of 31" so I guess I am at the limit on the 1200. We mostly ride at leisurely speeds or near the legal maximum. There is usually need for a good turn of speed to get around slower cars etc. The wider bars on the Tiger (set higher up) and reduced weight from the FJR should help.

I am very impressed that just about everyone says how comfortable the Tiger is, this is important to me because currently I can just about manage rides of about 1 to 1.5 hours before I take a break. That is with the alleged Yamaha comfort seat - I guess we are all different.

Looking forward to a test ride so will keep you posted. Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm guessing they will give the 1200, the 900 make over. More displacement, different firing order, lower center of gravity, the new TFT display and crappy bluetooth app, shave a few pounds here and there, but probably still a 600 lb bike. Guessing they will also drop all the "X" stuff and move to the GT/Rally names for continuity.

I recently had a 2018 Tiger 1200 XCa then bought a Tiger 900 Rally Pro. After a very short time on the Rally Pro I realized I don't need the Tiger 1200 anymore, so I sold it. Based on how much I enjoy the Tiger 900, I doubt I will be looking at the new 1200.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If Triumph follows the same rules for the last run of bike announcements, you'll see something official from them in the fall. Then, during the winter they'll ship a bunch of bikes to some
warm southern hemisphere location for the media to ride. You should start seeing them in the dealerships around mid-late March of next year. Considering that the last "update" to the
1200 was nothing more than a paint job - Desert and Alpine editions, that bike is due for a major engineering change/update.

My guess is you'll see the same TFT screen as the 900, along with the bluetooth connectivity. Other than that and lightening the bike up a bit, I can't see where they would make too many
other changes. The 1200 already has the TSAS, Hill Hold Control (which is what I really wanted on the 900), and a host of other goodies, so what's left?
I could go for a slick integrated GPS, either via the TFT or mounted above it with locking capabilities similar to the BMW GSA. And another 1 to 2 gallons of fuel capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts