Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

New Tiger 1200 XRT or 900 GT PRO?

5K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  BigAl_Tiger1200 
#1 ·
Ok, getting a little tired of talking to internet guys at these dealers that don't seem to know their models and the differences between them. I believe my new dream bike to be a 1200 XRT, however the Alpine SE has caught my eye but the dealer is a little loose with explaining the differences and even on the website it's not absolutely clear. You lose the Fog lights, ($745 to add) and a few other bits I'm not sure I need. Not completely clear on what those bits are either? I would love to hear from someone that knows the differences. I thought my new bike could be the 900 GT PRO but only because the 1200 would feel to big. I'm 6' 210, and rode a '18 1200 XRx at a dealer yesterday, and guess what...it's NOT too big and I fell in love. But I'm coming off a 2011 V-Strom 650, so what's not to love? I didn't like fiddling with cleaning and lubing the V-stroms chain so shaft drive is very attractive. If someone can tell me What the XRT has that the Alpine doesn't that would be great and weigh in on anything else pro's and cons about these bikes. As a sidenote I thought my upgrade would be a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, a different thread on here convinced me that is not the way to go, and after riding the 1200 I don't feel I need nor want a smaller bike. And in case it helps my experience other than the V-Strom is a 2010 Thunderbird 1600 I've had since new, so I'm used to a heavy bike.

#3 ·
Those Eurocycle advertised prices are not legitimate. The amount of fees they add to those prices is thousands of dollars, not including sales tax. I live in Las Vegas, and I get those ads from them all the time. I've talked to them a couple times. The fees are usually somewhere around the $3,000 range.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I bought my last Triumph (a T120) from Freedom Cycle before they retired and sold out to Eurocycle. I can’t say enough good about the Yuill Bros. Fortunately, my interaction with Eurocycle was limited.

I came close to buying a new Rocket at the Reno dealership in March but decided against another huge bike. I know there are issues with Eurocycle but trying to sell a damaged bike as new is pretty bad. I probably would have bought a new GT Pro last spring if they had had one in stock. Got a BMW instead.

#7 ·
Eurocycle Sonoma is about 8 miles from my house, the GM there, is a guy I knew from a Lithia dealer here in town where I bought my RAM 4 years ago...he remembered me and we hit it off...invited me in his office and started pulling up bikes from all the stores and telling me what they had into them and the wiggle room to sell. I'll get a good deal, I'm confident of that, but I'm just curious if the Alpine is much of a step down from the XRT. Thanks for the replies, I always value the actual riders voices.

#8 ·
I think these features are on the XRT but not the Alpine. The Alpine has special paint.
  • LED adaptive corning lighting
  • Five riding modes: Road, Rain, Off-Road, Sport and Rider programmable
  • Hill hold control
  • Heated seats
  • Unique-in-class electrically adjustable touring screen
  • LED auxiliary lighting
  • Additional 3x TFT styles

#12 ·
I have an Alpine Edition, it's basically the XRx model in a fancy frock. It gets the Alpine graphics & paint, an Arrow titanium silencer and a quickshifter. I got mine as an end of season deal and got three box ally luggage, engine bars, sump guard & fog lights thrown in which swung it for me. You get the TFT dash (which is very nice), electrically adjustable screen, electrically adjustable suspension, all manner of riding modes & electronics and cruise control. Mine came with heated grips too. I don't think the spec varies wildly from the UK to US. It's a lot of bike for the money and the 'Snowdonia' metallic white paintwork is very smart, but if you don't like the colour just get an XRx.

As a footnote I've also had a 650 V-Strom and two 1000 V-Stroms and the riding position is quite similar although this is a lot heavier. I'm 6'2" and a bit and I have the seat in the high position and can flat-foot it easily. I have some 2" risers too which makes a whole world of difference.

#15 ·
Sooooo not impressed with my dealer...so when you look at the bike you can clearly see that it looks like the seat is made to go higher...yet when I asked the guy fiddled and fiddled and then went and asked and came back and said, this model's ('18 XRX) seat doesn't change height...huh? My biggest complaint with long riding is cramped riding position, and a raised seat height with my long legs is something I wanted to feel. I did test ride an '18 XRX last week and decided that the 1200 is the bike for me...heavy? The V-Strom 650 is too light for me. I'm not an off-roader, and it gets blown around too much on the highway and the front tire chattered too much in rough corners and the ABS kicked in when I thought it ought not. I also think the 2" risers will be a must for me. Thanks for your input.

#14 · (Edited)
They all have the electrically adjustable screen, the Alpine just has the standard one and the XRt has a slightly taller type. It is really plain to see what the differences are on these two page, I can't see why your dealer doesn't point you there, it is very straightforward?

Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.co.uk)

Triumph Tiger 1200 XRt | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.co.uk)

The cornering lights are rubbish, they do nothing, I have them so don't worry about not having those. The Alpine is the best value model in the whole range though. If you like the Tiger 1200 go for that. I have an XCa and just rode the 900GT Pro. The 900 is a superb bike but the 1200 is something else. I would not buy the 1200 unless you can totally flat foot it though. Make sure you get the free luggage sets, the 1200 is likelyy to be replaced with a completely new version soon, ~ 6-12 months??

#16 ·
Thank you - that helps. So basically heated seat $400, and Auxilliary lights $750, both can be added, an additional ride mode...and a few more different looks on the TFT...I think I could be happy on the Alpine...helps my shopping choices! Now...if someone could tell me how to raise the rider seat, that would be great. Then I can show my dealer 🤣🤣

#19 ·
So it looks like it is going to happen, I have come to a price agreement with a gentleman here about 1.5 hours drive from the house, A white 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT, 2,500 mi, with touring windshield, the large black expedition boxes on back, engine guards added and a 3 year (5 total) extended warranty.

On my 650 Strom I put on a front fork brace, and was ready for the gold valve emulator kit with stiffer springs, ohlins rear shock, it needed it's 15K valve check and spark plugs, oil change and what not, I was approaching $3K service bill on a bike only worth $5K, so I ened up selling it this week for $4,800 and that added enough to put me in the buy game for the new to me Tiger. Never thought the day would come I would end up with 2 Triumphs in my garage, but turns out it's not a bad feeling at all. 😀

Reactions: Teamduh
#21 ·
I've agreed on a price with a private party. I woke up at 4:00 and too excited to sleep. Going to get the bike this morning and then meeting a couple friends for a day ride to enjoy it the long way home. 2018 1200 XRT, the white model, with black hard cases, just under 3,000 miles.

#24 ·

I got it!!!! 2018, XRT with 2700 miles. Question, and in case you fella's don't know I will start a new thread. The rear top case, it's mount "floats", is this normal? It doesn't move forward and back but it seems to move back and forth side to side at least 1/2 inch? What's that all about?

#25 ·
Congrats! Yes the rear box support plate is supposed to move left to right. I was surprised also. I was told it was to allow some movement of the case without affecting the bike's stability. I've had hard fixed rear cases on big bikes and it never affected the bike but its part of the triumph design. Enjoy!

#27 ·
I did, and I already moved it UP...love it up for my legs. But I think I need the ROX risers now as well, I think I'm a bit too leaned forward.

#29 ·
I'll check those out as well, I saw a thread with the ROX and no wiring was necessary either, I'm not brand loyal so I guess it will come down to looks and price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.