Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I just got a new Tiger 1200 XCa this week, and my expedition panniers and top box were put on yesterday at the dealer.

When I got home, however, the right pannier would not open with they key. So, I went back to the dealer and they couldn't get it open either (even though they had it working just fine when they installed it).

So, right now they're thinking something happened with the tumbler in the lock. Because I need the use of the pannier for a trip I'm leaving for tomorrow, the plan from the dealer is to drill out the tumbler and I'll have one pannier that simply won't lock but will still function properly (and I'll just plan accordingly throughout the trip).

Now, here's my question for you all... It seemed like the dealer is saying that there will be no way to order a new tumbler that is keyed to my original OEM key. Instead I would have two keys: one for the new pannier tumbler, and one for everything else. Does this seem right? The more I think about it, I find it amazing that Triumph wouldn't be able to do this. Like, what if someone needed a gas tank cap replaced? Or what if an entire pannier was stolen?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Same applies. You could buy a whole new matched lock set for gas cap/ignition etc, but that would be the only way to keep it as one key system

·
Registered
169 Posts
They may not have to drill it out. You can shave down an allen wrench to remove the lock barrel. I made the tool and successfully removed the lock barrels from a set of used panniers I bought. I already had the matching barrels for my ignition.

Post 92 and below have some good pics of the tool that you can make with some specs, but there is some good info through out the thread.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,7896.0.html

Good set of videos on what is happening.
https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php?topic=12240.0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts