Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who is going to bite the bullet and buy the thunderbird? i looking at the touring model. will be in daytona to take a peek.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the extra cubes and the belt drive, hate the exhaust and too much chrome for this climate, i live in flat and my bike is parked outside and used every day of the year.
Speedmaster has held up quite well so far, but i dont think all that chrome would last long to be honest :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
probably be my next bike

I'll probably buy one in a couple years when I am a little closer to retirement and can travel more. They need to produce the touring model in cardinal red though, like my old Legend was, i think that would look a lot better than the blue or gray does.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My orders in!!

I have ordered the new Thunderbird and I'm number nine on the list at my local dealer here in Auckland New Zealand.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I won't do the deposit thing because i want to be 100% sure it's going to meet my expectations first. But i plan on replacing my speedmaster with the Tbird assuming it's everything it seems to be. Only wish i could afford the highly accessorized blue one we've seen a lot of pics of. But i'd estimate that one would run close to $20k due to probably 20 or more items being triumph chrome accessories including the fork legs and wheels, which right alone there will probably account for $2.5k. Guess i will likely add on to it over time little by little.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Could someone please post a few of the better photos of the T-Bird that might be available? What does it look like (that everyone is complaining about)?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it. People who want that style of bike also want a V-twin. Replace the parallell with a V-twin and you'd have a clone of every other V-twin cruiser on the road. Even the America and Speedmaster still retain some distinctive Triumph styling cues, this one throws them all away.

What a pity. Triumph chose to resurrect the greatest name a motorcycle ever had and they put it on this? My 2001 Thunderbird was a great bike, unique, powerful and a hoot to ride.

This thing? Meh. Another tired Harley clone.

One can hope that they might eventually use this engine in a bike that, you know, looks like a British motorcycle, but I'm not holding my breath.

They should have just named this thing the "Thunder-Glide" and been done with it. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it. People who want that style of bike also want a V-twin. Replace the parallell with a V-twin and you'd have a clone of every other V-twin cruiser on the road. Even the America and Speedmaster still retain some distinctive Triumph styling cues, this one throws them all away.

What a pity. Triumph chose to resurrect the greatest name a motorcycle ever had and they put it on this? My 2001 Thunderbird was a great bike, unique, powerful and a hoot to ride.

This thing? Meh. Another tired Harley clone.

One can hope that they might eventually use this engine in a bike that, you know, looks like a British motorcycle, but I'm not holding my breath.

They should have just named this thing the "Thunder-Glide" and been done with it. :D
It's not EVEN a H-D clone. It's a clone of a Japanese H-D clone. It looks like a Honda from the late 80s or something. It's the new Triumph Virago or Vulcan. I don't get it at all. Then again, I don't remember being given the job of being in charge of what people like. Apparently there are several people on this board who love this thing.

In fairness, though, I don't really get the Speedmaster/America, either -- but apparently a lot of people do.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I like it alot..Just wonder why they didn't call it the "New Speedmaster" or something. They should have left the Thunderbird name for an x-large Thrux looking bike...and sold a sh*t load of both.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Because a bike has modern cruiser styling doesn't mean it's a Harley "clone". HD doesn't own a monopoly on cruiser styling.
I think the Thunderbird looks great and with a few changes it will look terrific!
Just because Harley Davidson produces slow, outdated motorcycles doesn't mean you have to buy one if you want cruiser styling.
I also don't see why people bash Japanese cruisers. There's nothing wrong with well made, reliable motorcycles, no matter where the company is owned or located.
This is the 21st century!
Every manufacturer imports parts from around the world and often has bikes assembled in factories outside their borders.
Harley has parts and bikes made in freakin' Mexico! People still buy them.
Triumph has them made in Taiwan and that doesn't appear to be slowing down sales.
If Triumph was to restrict all manufacturing to the UK it would be doomed to repeat it's earlier failures.
Most buyers judge products by the quality and reliability of the items sold, not by where they were made. This is 2009 and that's just how things are now.
You can always just continue to maintain and rebuild the old bikes you already own but if you want modern machinery, you'll have to get over it.
I appreciate new bikes and also appreciate old bikes.
I just bought a beautiful 1969 T120R but that doesn't mean I appreciate my 2009 Taiwanese assembled T100 any less.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Cruisers look like cruisers. I would have preferred a Bonneville, or a Bonneville America, but I don't thin it looks that bad. I like it. You have to remember, it will look different in the flesh.

That's a heck of a nice looking 1600 cc parrallel twin you've got there. And I ain't talk'n about your jugs.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Has anyone actually got a realistic estimate as to the price? I would guess somewhere they will start around $12K to $13K. There is way too much guesswork at this point. Other than Pictures, there really isn't much info out there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Because a bike has modern cruiser styling doesn't mean it's a Harley "clone". HD doesn't own a monopoly on cruiser styling.

I also don't see why people bash Japanese cruisers. There's nothing wrong with well made, reliable motorcycles, no matter where the company is owned or located.
Point one:
You have no monopoly on marrying a woman with name she has -- and you have no monopoly on naming your kids what you named them -- and you have no monopoly on getting the kind of pet you have -- and you have monopoly on dressing the way you do -- and you have no monopoly on painting your house the color you did. But if I moved in next door to you and did all five, you'd still think I was pretty lame.

Point two:
If I bash Viragos or Vulcans, it's certainly not for their superior engineering. It's because there are precious few things in this world or any other that have ever approached the sheer hideousness of a late 1980's Japanese cruiser. Fine bikes. Hideous bikes, but fine bikes. Entire religions have been built worshipping the absolute perfection of their hideousness. Far off distant planets thousands of millenia in the future will still use the word "Virago" to describe something that is completely poisonous to the eyes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cruisers look like cruisers. I would have preferred a Bonneville, or a Bonneville America,...
I agree a larger version Bonneville with the same engine would be a cool bike but I'd like to see both bikes available rather than just one or the other. Who knows? Maybe Triumph will produce something like that in the future ;)
For Triumph to grow and prosper, they must compete with other manufacturers on a larger scale than they have in the past. They have moved in that direction already with their sport bikes while retaining their classics and producing the Rocket III. Adding cruisers was another very good idea. I think Triumph is on a good path!
The reason Honda grew as large as they are was by providing bikes for everyone from little dirt bikes to large touring motorcycles, and everything in between. I own and ride Hondas. I like many of them but that doesn't mean I like or want all of them.
Triumph has the right idea to provide variety and I think it will allow them to grow. They're already doing a damn fine job! :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Point one:
You have no monopoly on marrying a woman with name she has -- and you have no monopoly on naming your kids what you named them -- and you have no monopoly on getting the kind of pet you have -- and you have monopoly on dressing the way you do -- and you have no monopoly on painting your house the color you did. But if I moved in next door to you and did all five, you'd still think I was pretty lame.

Point two:
If I bash Viragos or Vulcans, it's certainly not for their superior engineering. It's because there are precious few things in this world or any other that have ever approached the sheer hideousness of a late 1980's Japanese cruiser. Fine bikes. Hideous bikes, but fine bikes. Entire religions have been built worshipping the absolute perfection of their hideousness. Far off distant planets thousands of millenia in the future will still use the word "Virago" to describe something that is completely poisonous to the eyes.
?? :confused: ??
whatever, to each, his own ;)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Don't forget....when the twins arrived they arrived as a retro looking bonneville affair with the same name, but within a year morped into a couple cruisers too. So we could well see a 1600 bonnie-ish affair soon after the cruiser version. Triumph does seem to like using thier engines in more than one bike.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Could someone please post a few of the better photos of the T-Bird that might be available? What does it look like (that everyone is complaining about)?
heres one, tho remember that this is a accessorized version with a boatload of chrome. Probably about $5k worth.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts