Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new Tbird Storm owner here. I've owned Honda, Yamaha and HD motorcycles. I bought a Storm a month or so ago and need to learn a bit more about it. I'm having some buyers remorse with this one. I sold my HD Fatboy of 11 years to get something newer with lower miles and came across this bike online. It is such a pretty bike that was set up pretty much the way I like it. Nice hard bags, windscreen, removable backrest and rear seat and he also promised to ship the rider backrest when he finds it in the cluttered garage. It also has the Hog Slayer pipes and the Triumph high flow air cleaner and the guy also let the RAM mount cell holder go with the deal. It's a 2011 model with a little over 12k miles on it at this point.

Here is were the remorse comes in.

1. I learn I didn't get the bracket for the rear seat. No big deal right. I can buy one for about $6. That brings me to #2
2. Next I learn that the stock rear pillion won't work with the Long Haul rider seat. My wife does not know about this yet, can't wait to tell her, fun fun. She loved the Fatboy by the way. But hey I can buy a long haul seat for about $75 I think. Now we move on to #3
3. The guy must have added the HardStreet bags after the fact and neglected to include the bushings to install the backrest. So I have a backrest I can't install. I send him a text, no reply.... Not cool. OK OK. It looks like I can buy the hardware for that, I think. Yet to confirm. About $80 or so. now we move to #4

4. The clack in the engine, also called a piston sleeve slap or something like that. I'm still learning and looking into that. That does sound to me like a manufacturer defect and should be a recall. I'm going to reread some of the posts about this issue and see what I need to do. But before I responded to any posts I guess I had to make an introductory post. So here it is. I'm Andy, I'm a Triumph owner and thinking I should have bought another Harley. I sure would appreciate any info about getting the engine clack fixed. Again, I'm Andy, Virginia, USA. Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The Thunderbird Cruiser Chat forum is where you can connect with other Thunderbird riders. The folks there will best be able to assist you. Introduce yourself there, post photos of your Thunderbird, and engage the members.

http://www.triumphrat.net/thunderbird-cruiser-chat/

Connect with local riders in the RAT forums. If you do not see a thread for your area, please start one.

https://www.triumphrat.net/rat-south-east/

You may also find local riders and local events in the Rides and Events forum.

http://www.triumphrat.net/rides-and-events/

Please share your rides with us by posting photos of your rides in the Ride and Trip Reports forum.

http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-reports/

Enjoy some off-topic and often humorous conversations in the Biker Hang Out forum.

http://www.triumphrat.net/biker-hang-out/

There is much to our forum, so please make yourself at home, browse the forums, and join the conversation where ever it may interest you. We are happy to have you here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome from NC. You’ll love the Storm, just give it a little time. A gently used stock rider seat would not be hard to source but the dual long haul seat is better. A lot of folks like the Mustang set up but it pushes you closer to the tank. After a min number of posts, you can reach out in the Classifieds for things you need.

Regarding the infamous “clack”......there is plenty of reading material and opinions on the forum regarding it. I’ve had two Storms and the 14 was prolly a little noisier than my current 15. But I just ride it and don’t worry about it. FF helmet plus SENA mitigates, ha!

I’ve yet to hear of the Storm 1700 engine imploding due to the “clack”. It’s a strong engine with lots of torque. Eats rear tires but I don’t baby it.

Good luck getting it setup as desired!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,403 Posts
Congratulations on the new Storm, I think you'll grow to love it. I've had several Harley's and Yamaha's and was looking for a Storm when I ran across a good deal on a Fat Boy. I had serious buyers remorse, but after making a few changes, I love it. But, I would still love to have a Thunderbird, and will get one when I have room in the garage for a 4th bike.
Triumphs sound a lot different than Harley's and Yamaha's. After logging some miles, you'll get used to the sound, and have confidence that all is okay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man. It looks like you can still get a long haul passenger seat new from a few places, thinking my wife might like that more and I do like the solo seat set up with the little cool looking rack on the fender. It looks pretty cool, I think.

Can you confirm I can't use the standard rear pillion with the long haul rider seat?

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The LH rider seat is VERY similar in shape to the stock rider seat so I think the OEM pillion will fit.

Here’s mine with fender rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
standard pillion

I'm hoping it does. The guy I bought it from is sending some stuff to me, hopefully the bracket to attach the pillion to the bike is included. I have the same seat and rack.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts