Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new thruxton the other day, great bike! However I notice a vibration when Im around 3 to 4 K on the tach and 45 to 55 mph, mostly on the decel. Feels like the front end but Im not sure, bike has 230 miles, anyone?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My new T100 is doing something similar with only a little over 200 miles on it. When I am cruising around 40-45 mph the front end seems to pulsate every other second or so. This also seems to happen on decel. Not sure what to make of it and thought it may be road conditions at first but now I am thinking it may be the bike

·
Registered
371 Posts
I vote for tire pressure as well.
These bikes need proper pressure to feel good. When getting off the throttle the weight is transferred to the front wheel some what and a lower than recommended pressure would be noticeable. I check my tire pressure very often.
Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about :D

I doubt it is anything serious, at least let's hope not.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My new T100 is doing something similar with only a little over 200 miles on it. When I am cruising around 40-45 mph the front end seems to pulsate every other second or so. This also seems to happen on decel. Not sure what to make of it and thought it may be road conditions at first but now I am thinking it may be the bike
y

Yep, sounds like the same thing. I just assumed since I just drove home from the dealer with 1 mile on it the tires would be properly inflated. Ill check the pressure tomorrow, I was thinking balance maybe?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Air pressure is fine, so I assume the balance is out slightly. Guess I'll have to run it by the dealer or wait till the 500 mile checkup.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Air pressure is fine, so I assume the balance is out slightly. Guess I'll have to run it by the dealer or wait till the 500 mile checkup.
Besides checking air pressure and balance, make sure the rim is round. My first Bonneville didn't get 500 feet from the dealership when I tried to ride it home, due to severe vibrations. Turns out, the rim has welded incorrectly and the dealership swapped my rim and tire for another off a Bonneville T100 for sale.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey jeiser, if you get your wheels balances, let me know if that did it for you.

my thruxton does the same thing, vibrates a little bit in between 40 and 55 mph. I dont recall it doing this before and I did have the rims painted. So i had the spokes and wheels remounted after the paint job and that is when I first noticed it.

Its not too bad so im living with it now but if the wheel balancing fixes it, ill take them in to get rebalanced. could be the wheel wasnt trued properly too i guess but i specifically asked the people who did it and they said they trued it properly so who knows.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey jeiser, if you get your wheels balances, let me know if that did it for you.

my thruxton does the same thing, vibrates a little bit in between 40 and 55 mph. I dont recall it doing this before and I did have the rims painted. So i had the spokes and wheels remounted after the paint job and that is when I first noticed it.

Its not too bad so im living with it now but if the wheel balancing fixes it, ill take them in to get rebalanced. could be the wheel wasnt trued properly too i guess but i specifically asked the people who did it and they said they trued it properly so who knows.
Will do. I hope to take it to the dealer this Saturday, but I haven't heard back yet for confirmation. Hopefully it is a quick fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya, checked my tire pressure, all is good. Sounds like Im not the only one who has this, hoping its just a tire balance issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got a new post in the Twin Talk section called "calling all 2012 T100's"

So get this I took mine to the dealer today to identify the problem and as I am sitting there another guy comes in with the exact same problem to a T.
The dealer is contacting Triumph to see if this is a known issue. They rebalanced my front wheel but it is still doing the same thing, so it could be a bad batch of tires or a truing problem in the front wheel. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a used 2004 and have put about 1000 miles on it . I have also noticed the exact problem ,front tire starts bouncing at about 45 mph up through 55 , then it smooths back out . I was sure it was just out of balance , but maybe not . wonder if all these bikes are still running oem metzlers ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
This may not help, but that happened to me and the cause was scalloped/cupped front tire. It was literally wavy to the touch, as I ran my fingers across the threads. This was due to inconsistent tire pressure/ just being worn. Replaced both tires, as they were both worn, and the problem went away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm running the stock metzlers and it does happen to me. Tires have about 3k on them I believe.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have stock M's, 500 miles on them, 500 miles on the bike. Taking it up for its first service this week, Ill keep you all posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
stock suspension on my bike which is a 2009 thruxton. I'm going to say that this isn't normal. it sounds as if the spokes might be done incorrectly. I get a slight buzzing in the handlebars but other than that close to 0 vibrations. definitely no wheel wobbles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got my bike back from the 500 mile first service. I told the dealer about the problem and they took it for a test ride and verified the vibration/hop. They put the wheel on a spindle and said the rim was fine but you could visually see the tire out of round. They gave me a new metz and I rode it home. I still feel it a bit but now Im thinking its just the maybe not so great front suspension. The roads around here are pretty rough and I mostly noticed it on smooth roads, will have to ride a bit more to be sure.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
When I bought my 2006 T100 Bonne, and rode it the first 1/2 mile, I had to immediately return to the dealership due to incredible front wheel vibration. The dealer looked at the front tire and found that the Italian-made chrome spoked rim was not welded correctly end to end. Fortunately, the dealer had another new T100 for sale, so they gave me its front tire and rim, and replaced my defective rim. That said, I think the stock tires cup quickly and that is probably the cause of most vibrations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update, after taking it out on some smooth roads the hop is still there. So I checked the front suspension settings and saw there were 3 lines showing, I moved it to 4 lines as per the solo setting in the manual, took it out for a spin and Id say 90% of that hop went away. Im thinking of springing (HA!) for some new front springs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Front rim or tire?

Similar problems on my 2007 T100. a few months back I recall catching a pot hole pretty hard on the front, didnt think much of it at the time. As time passed, I started to notice a bit of a "wobble" not so much a vibration, at the 40-50-mph range. I had the OEM tires (metz) and was at 11,000 miles so figured Id treat myself to two new tires. On the way home, expecting a smooth ride, i was pretty shocked at how bad the wobble became, in fact it was more of a bounce now. So I took it back to the dealership and we checked balance, it was spot on, and he then checked the rim. It was out a bit, but did not cure it 100%, now we think that the new Metz front tire may just be out. So Im going in for a new tire (dealers treat) and see if this is the problem. Otherwise Ill have to stick it out and hope it smooths out, or buy a new rim??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts