Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a red Thruxton R yesterday. It had just been delivered to the dealership so it won't be ready until Saturday.

I've been riding for over 25 years and have owned Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW, and now a Triumph. My current bikes are a Honda GL1800 and a BMW F650GS single.

The Thruxton is the first bike I've bought because I wanted that specific bike. Previously, I've always looked for a category of bike, then researched the decision into the ground and bought what I felt was the best of the category for me. This time, after seeing the reviews and owner impressions, I just had to have a Thruxton R. I did look at alternatives, but they all left me cold. I wasn't even aware of the Thruxton R until Sunday, and bought one 3 days later.

I had called the closest dealership yesterday at lunch to see if they had one, and was told they did not. 5 hours later, I got a text of one just delivered, and the right color. A couple of hours after that, I owned it. This is actually the first time I've ever gotten the color I wanted out of 19 vehicles I've owned in my lifetime.

I feel as excited to own this bike as I was for my first bike.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I sat on one of these at the Bonneville Reborn Tour stop in Nashville earlier this year. Man, it was love! What a stunning motorcycle! If only I could afford a third new Triumph in the budget...

The Water Cooled Twins Talk forum is where you can connect with other new Bonneville riders. Introduce yourself there, post photos of your Thruxton, and join the conversation.

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I've ordered the same colour, looks cool. Can you let me know how you get on please? Interested in your thoughts...

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
508 Posts
Congratulations! I pick my silver R up this Friday. Went to check it out on Saturday and went with the silver over the black.

Can't wait to put some miles on her.

Which dealer did you get your from?

Jeff

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased it from Ace Motorsports in Concord. It was the first one they had come in. I had called at lunch and they had none. At 5pm they called and said one had just been delivered, and it was the color I wanted. I felt like it was fate. Lol. They said that there were others willing to buy it, so they were not willing to take a deposit to hold for a test ride. Based on all the demand I'm seeing here, I had no reason to doubt them. So I bought it that evening, without a test ride. Talk about nervous, as there is no cooling off period in Cali... There was a problem with the throttle quadrant that required them to order a part, so I did not take delivery until a week later.

It's funny, but a few weeks ago I had not planned to get another bike. My local motorcycle mechanic let me borrow his Sportster to go home while he worked on my BMW. Suddenly I was craving a completely naked bike with low end power, but I also wanted one that would not run out of above 5k and would handle and stop. Then I discovered the new Thruxton R. I debated with myself endlessly, and then decided to check it out. I've done this sort of thing with bikes and cars many times, and I always wind up deciding not to buy. This time was different. The Thruxton R checked off all the boxes, including the passion one...

I took my first ride after the mechanic familiarized me with the bike. The ride was in the city with heavy traffic, so no chance of really opening it up, even within the 4k limit, but it was enough to put a big grin on my face, though the reach to the bars also concerned me.

The salesman delivered the bike to me at home that night, as arranging transportation is difficult for me. I immediately took it for a ride on the freeway, up to 70 or so, then on some back roads. I took it for another ride the next morning, sampling some more technical twisties, and haven't been able to ride it since. I will take it out again tonight after work.

Still in <300 mile break-in so I'm trying to keep it under 4k rpm, but it pulls hard from 2,500 so that is not as much of a sacrifice as it might be.

The reach to the bars is a bit long for me, but the sportiest bike I've ever owned was a Ninja 500, and that was 10 years ago. I feel like 2" further back, would be about perfect for me, but I'm going to try and get used to it as is. I'm 6' and I feel my arms are a bit short compared to average. I'm used to relaxed bikes, so I'm having to strengthen my core to get comfortable and take pressure off my wrists. Having a reason to strengthen my core is not a bad thing though...

I'm in love with the looks and the engine's power delivery and sound. The handling is confidence inspiring. The brakes are the strongest I've experienced, but are not overly sensitive or grabby, though they are not fully bedded in yet.

So far, the seat and leg comfort is fine and I don't feel cramped, which I had worried about. I have a 32" inseam and that seems to be perfect for this bike. My legs fit perfectly into the tank indents and do not hit the heads or the wider part of the tank as some have reported. My longest ride has only been 30 minutes, so I can't be sure my legs and bottom won't protest, but I figure if I'm good for an hour then I'm good, as I like to stop every hour to stretch my legs anyway, no matter what the bike.

The controls are different from my other bikes, so that is taking some getting used to, but the brake levers, throttle, and shifter are all perfect. The clutch is good too, but I keep hitting the high beam switch when shifting.

The transmission is not as easy to use as I had expected from the reviews, but I'm hoping it will break-in and improve. The only trouble I have is when downshifting multiple times at low speed. I just need to pay more attention to my downshifts when coming to a stop...

I've ordered the accessory outlet and heated grips. I'm probably going to order the dual seat and passenger pegs. Thinking about cruise control as I use that all the time on the Wing, but maybe I should just try a throttle lock first. Also thinking about the nylon panniers, but I feel the mounts detract from the looks of the bike. I think I will just try a backpack first for overnights.

I definitely plan on putting a set of TechSpec Snakeskin pads on, but I may have to make my own as they don't make a set for the new Thruxtons.

I feel my ideal bike would be a T120 with the Thruxton R's engine, suspension and brake upgrades, but I figure I can either adapt to the Thruxton R or figure out a way to move the bars up and back. Considering that I bought this bike to play with local roads that are 5 minutes away, it should work out just fine. If I want to go further, I have a F650GS Single and a GL1800 Gold Wing. There are some distant roads I'd like to travel to on the Thruxton though. We'll see...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sounds like a good fit !

My current 2014 Thruxton is very comfortable for me now and the R bars are up and back even more so comfort should be better. My wrists do get a little sore after about 3 hours, but that's if I don't take breaks :) I really like my 2014, but it just lacks power and the suspension is poor on hard cornering. Looked at doing an upgrade on the suspension to what the R has and the cost would be more than a new bike (when added to my bikes' value) so it just made sense to get a new R.

The transmission will get better so don't worry about that. I also have a Tiger 800 xcx and love the cruise control ! I don't think I will need one of the R and might just get a palm rest type control for cruising.

Hoping to put lots of miles on her this weekend!

Jeff

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took her out on a 60 mile ride around my favorite local loop. This is the longest I've ridden it so far, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the riding position became more natural as the ride progressed, and that I did not get fatigued. Near the very end of the ride, I noticed the seat just barely starting to get uncomfortable, but my legs were still fine.

Just before the ride, I had set the suspension damping to the standard values in the manual. The as-delivered settings were inconsistent between each side, but were more compliant overall. I'm going to dial the settings back to the comfort ones in the manual as I felt the damping was too stiff for the bumpy roads I ride on.

The fuel warning light came on and the miles remaining was around 30 by the time I filled up with 118.6 miles on the trip, but it only took 2.35 gallons. So almost 50 mpg and the warning light and miles remaining is pretty conservative. The fuel gauge did not return to full in the half mile to get back to my house, but was slowly coming back up.

One thing I found was that the manual says to turn the shock rebound adjuster clockwise to get to full firm, but that must be when looking up at the shock rather than down, as I had to turn it counterclockwise to get to full firm.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sounds good, it's what you get use to. I test rode one today and I felt a little bit of weight through my hands in traffic, but once I was at 100km/h the buffering on the chest removed the weight. I'm 6'2 and long in the legs and arms and fitted better than I thought. They do pull well of the mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts