Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just took delivery of a bright red '08 Thruxton. Any advice on first mods? I am thinking fork gaitors, bar end mirrors, and those dumb-but-cheap fluid reservoir caps (in red of course). Also some of those cool rubber tank pads. I figured that would get the easy stuff out of the way. The next steps would be airbox removal kit, new pipes, and replace the fork springs with something better. Ideas? Advice? Recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Psulick, congraluations on your new bike. Ride safe, often and fast.
Regarding mods, I would suggest first off...do nothing. Ride the thing. Ride it long and often. Learn what it does right and wrong to YOU.You will then appreciate whatever mods you do much more.

Then start to think about how you want to mod it to make it yours. Once you figure out what you want to do, this forum can be a great resourse to you.

The list of mods is long and never ends.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm with Mar on this one, wait a while, except that the pipes will blue terribly if the AI is left on, so you might want to pull it off ASAP.
Redhawk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congrats On new Ride!!

I agree with both, if you ride a little then you will realize all the more power when you add pipes, ect. on her. Call me or PM if you need anything or want some pics I have of some thruxtons with mods installed
enjoy...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi Psulick
Congrats on the new bike - you sound the same as me! I'd take the advice of these guys though and ride around a while and get used to the bike. At the same time cruise this forum because there are a ton of ideas on here and surf all the websites of all the various vendors. This will give you an appreciation of what is out there When the time comes to mod, you'll have all the help you need - take a look at all the photos - lots of great ideas out there
Good luck & be safe!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Yes, ride it a while, except for removing the AI. Then do the suspension.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi psulick3
Congrats on the new bike. As far as mods, these guys have the right idea. Ride it for a while and you will appreciate and know exactly which way you want to go.
For me i did remove the AI at the 5oo mile service to stop the blueing. Now the pipes have a nice gold color. Also one thing i did was to upgrade the instrument lights to LED. I was dissapointed at the illumination at night especially the speedo. It was very dull and uneven. Baltobonneville used the blue LED'S. I got the same thing.
It was the best $20 i have spent so far. They are nice and bright now and even. It makes you want to ride at night just to look at them, very cool and cheap mod!
Here is the link to the thread.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/96655-speedometer-lights-out.html
Ride safe and enjoy the bike.
All the best John.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everybody

I really appreciate the advice. The site is an amazing resource.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Hope You're Where the Weather is Still Good

Congrats on the new bike!

I agree. Ride, ride, ride (just hope the weather holds) and then figure out what you really want.

I got my '04 Thrux used with a bunch of mods the 1st owner put on, pipes, mirrors, etc. The initial owner did a nice job except for the suspension (mentioned above). So after a few months I realized I really needed rear shocks and what a difference that made.

More recently (and having ridden for over 30 years you'd think this would be 2nd nature) but what a difference good, new rubber makes. Not sure what the stock '08 comes with but I love my Pirelli Sport Demons (yes, a Triumphrat recommendation). So as you ride, ride, ride, consider what your next set of tires should be.

Ride On,
Shep

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are going to replace the fork springs, you should add emulators to the forks. It has been my best mod on my Thruxton.

+1 on the led upgrade. I did the indicator bulbs and went blue on the gauges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts