Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd introduce myself to the group. I'm Charlie, a 52 y/o mechanic from St. Louis.
I've been riding a Sprint ST since Dec of 08.
I just got back (friday) from picking up a 99 TBS from Tucson, AZ with 14K miles on it. After riding up the Coronado Trail, checking out the Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, and Painted Desert, I put about 2200 miles on here getting her home. She's no cherry. I picked her up on a salvage title. She has quite a few niggles, but she rides straight (for the most part), and she got me home. It will be fun to fix all the shortcomings and get her in some new paint. I've been drooling over bikes in the classic triples pics section for over a year now, so I have some ideas of what I want to do. I've also been reading the threads here for the last few months. I can't wait to get started fixing this one up.
Here's a few pics me and her...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Congrats! She is a beauty and sounds like you had a fun ride home!:)

·
Registered
694 Posts
tbs

Congrats on the find! Looks like a winner, expecially if it got you back to Missouri without a hitch. How'd you like the Coronado Trail? The Dragons Tail ain't got nothin on it! Be sure you bring your TBS to the Ozark Rat Raid in the spring. Tommyturbo2

·
Registered
187 Posts
You beat me to it too. I had talked to the guy a few days before, and then I was out in Mesa from the 2nd to the 10th of Sept. with cash in hand and he wouldn't sell it to me because he'd promised to hold it for you! great buy!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Great find and welcome to the Hinckley Tripple addicts club. Enjoy the ride.

Sent from my LGL55C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did the previous owner give you the tank pads? I think they would go nice with those gaiters.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Congratulations Charlie,

Good looking bike and the right color too. Tons of info on the forum and a bunch of good folks willing to share tips. Enjoy the new toy..

George

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Looks great!

I'm guessing with that salvage title you've got yourself a bargain ;)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You beat me to it too. I had talked to the guy a few days before, and then I was out in Mesa from the 2nd to the 10th of Sept. with cash in hand and he wouldn't sell it to me because he'd promised to hold it for you! great buy!!
Sorry about that Cyclepath... but not really:D I talked to him like around Aug 20. He posted the bike, then took it down because he left town. I talked to him when he got back and made the commitment.

Charlie,

Congrats, and I really like the look of those gaiters!
Yeah, I like the gaiters, too.

Did the previous owner give you the tank pads? I think they would go nice with those gaiters.

No, he didn't have the tank pads. I'm also waiting to see if he has a horn and the tool kit. But for now, I don't have those things.

Looks great!

I'm guessing with that salvage title you've got yourself a bargain ;)
Yeah, I think so. $2400 with 14K miles :D

The shifter and rear brake lever were bent, and I straightened them yesterday. The tank was loose up front, and the brackets were spread a bit. I tightened them up, but need to tighten them up a little more. There's a bad paint scuff on the right side of the tank from a strap buckle. New paint will fix that. She's a good bike.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charlie: I have a stock horn with chrome cover if you're interested, no spare toolkit though. Tom
Thanks Tom. I'll let you know. I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller. If he doesn't have it, I'll buy it! Thanks. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got a full set of tank pads. Also half of what my bike used to be in a box next to the full stock exhaust...:D

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the previous owner said he found the horn and was going to ship it to me. I'll see what it looks like when it gets here. No luck on the tool kit.
Coronado Trail was absolutely awesome. I hope, someday, to be able to ride it again.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Tbs

Congratulations Charlie,

Good looking bike and the right color too. Tons of info on the forum and a bunch of good folks willing to share tips. Enjoy the new toy..

George
It's a well known fact that red coloured T' Bird Sports are faster but, they are both brilliant machines. Well done on the purchas.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I beg to differ kind Sir.....

It's a well known fact that red coloured T' Bird Sports are faster but, they are both brilliant machines. Well done on the purchas.
LC,

There have been numerous scientific studies conducted that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the yellow TBS is indeed the fastest of all. Unfortunately most these tests involve a great deal of classified information that just can't be released to the general public. However, general synopsis of the collected data is that the lighter color TBS's are more affected by the gravitational pull of the sun causing less friction and increased speed. Since the sun is yellow, you can damn sure believe that yellow TBS is going to be leaving it's darker siblings well behind. One piece of documentation has leaked concerning this phenomenon and I just happen to have access to a copy which I have attached. Sorry you just can't argue with the truth......

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Red v Yellow

Well done GBC, just love that! But sadly, Oh so sadly your hypothesis is incorrect. All owners of red TBS's know in their hearts that yellow one's are slower (only by a tad though). The heart rules when it comes to our machines.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts