Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I were out on a day ride around the finger lakes in NY a few weeks ago and stopped in the local Triumph dealer. Killed some time and shot the breeze with the owner. Asked about the new Tbird.....seems this bike has now been delayed for production and he was told that they are delaying introduction indefinitely because of the soft economy.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I'd pretty much wager thats BS. Either 1)-he's assuming this, 2)-he got this info from a source with no credibility, or 3)-the most likely reason is that dealers HATE when the manufacturer shows a new bike that will likely stop current prospective buyers from buying NOW. Put yourself in his position....you you think he wants you to wait for this bike instead of buying something else that he has in stock now? Of course not. if this were the case he'd be out of business because many of his cruisers would sit on the floor unsold for the next 6-8 months. dealers don't like manufacturers to announce any bike long before it's arrival for this reason. Further, do you really thing triumph would announce the bike and give it a big push then delay it? They officially announced it at the show with several beautiful examples of it and on thier website. trust me... this bike will be on the floors in '09. They have no reason not to. If the economy were a reason to do this then why would they build ANY bikes? the bike is already here, it only needs to be ordered and shipped. And by the way, if you want to believe what dealers say, someone else said their dealer told him they have taken orders already to the point where most every one that will ship is accounted for and that there will be a waiting list ! Choose who you wish to believe, or like me just use your own common sense to figure out the likely scenario.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well I managed to throw my leg over a new T Bird on weds 3 dec on the triumph stand at the national motorcycle show in birmingham UK. I have to say its a nice bike, and would have prefered the chance to test ride it at my local dealers.
However as someone who is 5`6" tall I got the feeling that I may be an inch or 2 short for this bike. My legs felt like I was stretching some, and likewise the same with my arms. though if I leaned into the bike, I may have been ok. But without the benefit of a test ride I`ll never know

Rumor is that it will hit the shops around june 09

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes perfect sense to me.....He had a rocket sitting on the floor (new) that he was willing to sell for 13K. If I really wanted to get down to brass tacks with him my guess is he would have gone even lower. Me thinks you lads are correct! Have to wait and see.

·
Banned
243 Posts
The dealer here in Central Texas has told me that they have not even received the formal letter from Triumph yet that are accepting orders and told me to check back with them after February. Interesting how some dealers are taking deposits and others refuse to take your money. I doubt VERY seriously that the production will be delayed and I think I have to go with Dazco when he says the dealer was trying to sell you something off the floor.

·
Banned
243 Posts
I just spoke with the dealer here again. He is saying that they would be happy to take a deposit now but has no word from Triumph on when or what they will get. He also mentioned that his dealer rep told him to expect delivery around October as opposed to early Summer.

He also mentioned that when the R3 came out, they had taken plenty of deposits, but only received two bikes from Triumph. Took them better of 6 months to fill all the orders. I'd be curious to hear what other dealers are saying around the country.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My local dealer says the way it works is they will be notified by Triumph when they can place an order. The dealers are given a list of colors and options available so they can specify what color and options they want to order. This way we can get exactly what we want, not just whatever shows up. Your dealer will take your deposit and deliver your bike in the order they received your deposit. I made the first deposit on a new T'Bird at my local dealer so I will get the first bike that comes in. :D Hopefully it will be in the color I ordered... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
243 Posts
Can you call him and see if their Rep has told them anything about delivery dates? The Triumph site(s) are still saying June. I'll be curious to hear what your dealer comes back with. Are you basing your color choice on the three I have seen? (Blue/Black/Silver)? Any chance of them sticking with these?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Seems to me an inquisitive and ambitious dealer would make it a point to be in the know about his own livelihood. And then there are those that are destined to go belly up.

I don't car much for the line of thought in the naming.
I wouldn't guess Buick would someday name a new model a Corvette.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not to go off topic but what has everyone's experience been with 1st year Triumph models? Quality on my 96 Adventurer (I believe it was the first year) is great. Just thought I would ask what others have experienced.

Sounds like even if I put a deposit in now that I would be way back in the line. With enough deposits in they would be crazy to delay production. Hope this model breaks all sales records for Triumph!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Not to go off topic but what has everyone's experience been with 1st year Triumph models? Quality on my 96 Adventurer (I believe it was the first year) is great. Just thought I would ask what others have experienced.

Sounds like even if I put a deposit in now that I would be way back in the line. With enough deposits in they would be crazy to delay production. Hope this model breaks all sales records for Triumph!

Dave
I bought a Rocket III a few months after it was introduced in 2004. It was of exceptional quality and I only got rid of it because of a job change that took away most of my riding time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts