Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the plunge and bought another (1996) tbird today........It came with 26K miles and a winter screen................it also has a knackered sprag..........
I've just stripped a load of bits off, and when I get moving, will post some pictures and updates.........

Rob

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thinking out loud...................I presume that a TBS engine would drop straight in?........would it require the ignition control box, carbs, exhaust, alternator, starter motor etc, or would I get away with using all my tbird parts?.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Just thinking out loud...................I presume that a TBS engine would drop straight in?........would it require the ignition control box, carbs, exhaust, alternator, starter motor etc, or would I get away with using all my tbird parts?.

Rob
Yes it would, you would not need to swap anything else from the engine / electrical side of things - not even the ECU.

However, you will find that the shift pattern will be reversed (1 down 5 up) unless you put the TBS rearsets on as well. They wont fit without modification unless you fit the TBS exhaust - which wont fit without mods unless you fit the rear subframe and also wont work with the TBird centerstand.

fun huh? ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mick, thanks for the usual comprehensive answer.

I have just found out the bike is actually an early '95 model. Serial number is in the 24,000 range. I presume that this means that the sprag can be fitted with the engine in situ?. I'm just in the process of taking off all the chrome bits and bodywork. The coolant overflow tank is punctured, ans so will need replacing. I also cannot believe the price of the MC service kit, and the caliper service kit.....nearly £100 together.........!!!!

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I presume that this means that the sprag can be fitted with the engine in situ?.
That really comes down to if it has the access cover on the top casting or not - IIRC there was no specific cutoff date / number for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.