Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I like the new T'bird is that my wife would be more comfortable, and there would be more power for those iffy moments in traffic.

However, with the
k&Q seat, high sissy bar (about $600)
39mm carbs (about $1000)
head work ($1000)
big bore kit ($1200)

(probably 80 rwhp and a couple of hundred pounds lighter)

total $3800

My bonnie might be as powerful and as comfortable as the T'bird. Whaddya think? Opinions please.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The old saying is true....theres no replacement for displacement. The Tbird as all triumph cruisers is mildly tuned. Do that to the bonnie and 1)-it's going to be less reliable in the long run compared to the water cooled mildly tuned Tbird 2)-it will not pass if they ever start emissions testing on bikes, 3)-the bonnie will never be nearly as stable as the Tbird 2 up, 4)-the Tbird will have gobs more torque no matter what you do to the bonnie

IMO you'd be trying to make something out of the bonnie that it is not. You can do it, and it will indeed help, but it's not nearly as ideal as the Tbird would be 2 up. the torque alone would make 2 far better. The bonnies torque will never be remotely close, especially with mods. The BB kit is 15 HP and i think 10 Lbs of torque. Pipes and filter would probably get you 5-8 more HP, and when cat bypass becomes available either via triumph like with the RIII, or via 3rd party, you'll probably get 10-12 from that. (the RIII gains 18 HP with cat bypass) It's way more up to that task than the bonnie would ever be no matter what you did to it, and with mods it's going to approach a stock RIII. But it's just a matter of what satisfies you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
overweight

I don't care how much power the t bird makes, it is still way over weight for a machine expected to handle the turns. The Bonnie is heavy too in my opinion, but it is modern. The best thing you can do to the bonnie for riding 2 up is improve the suspension and seat. After that if you want more power go for it, it will handle way better than the bird. If touring is your bag, go for the bird.

Good luck choosing!

Hoopla

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
For what you want out of it the above mentioned mods are a waste of money to me. Now, if you wanted to strip it down and make more of a cafe out of it then I'd be all behind the performance mods. The stock tbird is going to do a better job than even the most modified bonnie on long range cruising and nearly any two up riding situation.

Two different bikes, two different jobs.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Not only that, but according to the reviews so far it handles a lot better than it should for what it is. So you may not be giving up as much as you may think in that department. In fact the handling has so far been raved about by every review i've seen. One said best in class in every category let alone handling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts