Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the flesh the new Tbird was very impressive. I'm not a fan of cruisers and as I own a 95 Tbird,which I'm very attached to,I had expected not to like the new model. However I have changed my mind. The proportions of the bike are 'just right' and so it looks 'like a real bike' rather than a clone. The ony off putting part for me is the forward footpeg position and I'm sure this can be addressed. I've been trying to decide what to replace my 955 Tiger with for touring,and wanting to stay with Triumph. The 1050 Tiger is a great bike but I'm not convinced about the luggage. The leather panniers on the new Tbird looked capacious. Anyway the important bits talking to the Triumph employee are that the bike will make 85bhp and 100N torque and there will be an official factory big bore engine option available. As I said I'm no cruiser fan and in fact my fave Hinckley is the Speed Triple,but the new Tbird looks good and a test ride is definitely on the cards. Pity it's not a triple but I can understand the marketing advantages,and in the flesh the engine is handsome and the radiator unobtrusive. So if the bike goes well then Triumph will have hit the spot again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Anyway the important bits talking to the Triumph employee are that the bike will make 85bhp and 100N torque and there will be an official factory big bore engine option available.
Now we're talkin'!!! A factory big bore option? Sweet. Sure would be nice if they offered that as a factory option for the 865cc bikes as well!!! That would kick a$$!!! Glad to hear you dig the bike in person. For your situation, it may just be the bike you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is NEC? and how do I get there?
Go to the end of your drive, turn right and head east. When u reach the Atlantic, start paddling.
Watch out for Ireland, but when you get to the English coast, head for the centre...Birmingham, West Midlands.

It's signposted from there but bring money, 'cos the National Exhibition Centre charges about $25 for parking....Oh and it's finished but there is a nice clothes show on now!!:):D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm on my way sucka! By "clothes show" I assume you mean Ace Cafe t-shirts etc. :D
Sadly just expensive dresses, shoes and my wife and daughter with my credit card!! On the bright side my local Triumph dealer has a late night sale with discounts on 2008 clothes (must be better than the t-shirts I bought in the 80s:D)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go to the end of your drive, turn right and head east. When u reach the Atlantic, start paddling.
Watch out for Ireland, but when you get to the English coast, head for the centre...Birmingham, West Midlands.

It's signposted from there but bring money, 'cos the National Exhibition Centre charges about $25 for parking....Oh and it's finished but there is a nice clothes show on now!!:):D
Good advice but the indoor heated bike parking was free, and very welcome as i rode there in the snow on tuesday!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
It IS impressive just from what i have seen and read so far except for power. specs are average, not great. But still on par with other similar bikes i suppose. The impressive thing to me is that the bike is the same size as a speedy only wider. Wheelbase and seat height are actually about an inch shorter than the speedy !!! This som'biotch is gonna handle like no other big cruiser can dream of to be sure.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
T Bird

I loved it when I 1st saw it!! A large parralel twin!! Then I saw 270 deg timing, FWD controls (potato potato potato) & said- a parralel twin HD! If they had 360'ed it & left center controls, it would be a twisty monster!! Now- its just a different HD. I love my Bonne because of the handling! Its no slouch on perf either! I had (originally) envisioned myself doing twisties on the T-Bird. W/ FWD controls- uhuh. Maybe they will change their minds somewhere in production & put mids on her & make her a true "handling" machine?
They could lose the 270 deg timing as well. I really was looking for the sound outa a big machine like that!! O well ?

·
Registered
866 Posts
"Capacious" triple word points for Triple3John (all puns intended)!

Johnny - you're gonna make the rest of us look bad donchaknow....

The only thing I understand about the Triumph cruiser is that "cruiser" is the largest segment of the US market and you need to fish where the fish are. If this is what Mr. Bloor needs to continue producing gems like the bonnie, the S3 and everything else that leads each segment, I'm all for it. Doesn't mean I have slightest intention of every buying the cruiser, but I'm all for it.

Hard to argue against Mr. Bloor. I wonder is John Bloor ever gets triple word points???

P

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cap'tDon,
I'm no pro rider but I spent 3 seasons on a Bonnie and one on an America-20,000 miles on the Bonnie (04) and 10000 on the America (07). I honestly felt no real difference in the 360 vs 270 and I've had 4 H-D's so I have a point of reference. I also never felt one bike handled better than the other-I have several reference roads where I wring out bikes and both Triumph's perfromed so close to each other as to not be an issue. The America will drag before the Bonnie but-hey-the pegs fold up!

I would not discount the T-Bird in the twisties.
Now-I just share this as a point of info. Not trying to make anybody's mide up-just one rider's experience.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Had a sit and play,like you do.Nice,very nice.Comfy,controls fall to hand and feet.Liked it alot,nice to look at also.Wandered around the rest of the show.Returned for a last look at the Thunderbird.Wow that does look nice,another sit and play.Must say it feels great,good enough to get me to consider buying a cruiser,something I have never done before.I would recomend anyone and everyone to get a look at this bike in the flesh,pictures do not do it justice.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The pics look good, and I'm anxious to see it in the flesh. But only 85 hp from 1600 cc???? Triumph ought to be able to do better than that.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
A couple things.....first, they say the 270 is so they sound like a harley with that uneven pulse. Well, i have a 270 speedy and it not only sounds nothing like a harley, but the pulses sound and feel totally even like a 360. Don't know why, don't care. But the only advantage of a 360 that i can see is that they have aftermarket ignitors for them that allows higher RPM limits. The 270 cannot go higher even if they had them for 270's because they will cut out naturally when the revs get much higher even with no limiter. They supposedly also have an advantage in traction over a 360 which is why dirt trakers are generally 270 engines. Don't know the extent of the truth that, but thats what they say.

Second, i always hear the forward peg argument against handling. But having ridden the twisties with a couple bonnie guys who ride like madmen, i can tell you theres very little truth to that, and they'll tell you the same after riding with me. In fact, while all my other bikes in the past were older 70's and early 80's, for what it's worth the speedmaster slaughters them all in the twisties dept, including my '78 hinkley.

I fully expect the new bird to handle like crazy. I'd bet the farm it will easily out handle any other cruiser on the planet with the possible exception of a 900 cruiser.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Now we're talkin'!!! A factory big bore option? Sweet. Sure would be nice if they offered that as a factory option for the 865cc bikes as well!!! That would kick a$$!!! Glad to hear you dig the bike in person. For your situation, it may just be the bike you're looking for.
This is the news I've been waiting to hear as well. I had heard rumors they may offer a 1700cc version and that should push the total output close to 100hp and probably 120lbs tq. Man, this thing is going to kick some major a$$. I can't wait!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I read the 1700cc option will be a kit you can have installed, after purchasing the standard 1600cc version. Hopefully they have reconsidered that idea 'cause I want a 1700 from the start. I really think they should have made it 2000cc and kick butt.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Anyway the important bits talking to the Triumph employee are that the bike will make 85bhp and 100N torque
ok, let's see here, my 904cc bonnie makes 75 real rear wheel hp and just over 58ft lbs of torque.

If you take their claimed 85hp, and knock off say 15% for driveline loss, that puts it around 72-73hp. Not so great.

If you take 100nm of torque and convert it to ft-lbs at the rear wheel, it comes to about 62-63 ft lbs. Not so great either, but I assume that's at a pretty low rpm.

So, a 904cc bonnie with big flatslides can compare almost exactly to Triumph's new 1600cc cruiser? Does anyone else think that is, I dunno, crappy?

PS: I don't have the big ugly radiator on my bike :D

They had better step it up in the power dept if they want to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
648 Posts
ok, let's see here, my 904cc bonnie makes 75 real rear wheel hp and just over 58ft lbs of torque.

If you take their claimed 85hp, and knock off say 15% for driveline loss, that puts it around 72-73hp. Not so great.

If you take 100nm of torque and convert it to ft-lbs at the rear wheel, it comes to about 62-63 ft lbs. Not so great either, but I assume that's at a pretty low rpm.

So, a 904cc bonnie with big flatslides can compare almost exactly to Triumph's new 1600cc cruiser? Does anyone else think that is, I dunno, crappy?

PS: I don't have the big ugly radiator on my bike :D

They had better step it up in the power dept if they want to be taken seriously.
Are you really interested in the new Thunderbird? If you are satisfied with your hot rodded Bonnie why concern yourself about the new Thunderbird with it's "ugly radiator"?
It sounds as if you already have the perfect motorcycle, for you.

I have read many more estimates of 100 HP than 85 and I'm not accepting any estimate until it formally comes from Triumph anyway. 85 HP sounds pretty low from a 1600 cc Triumph with fuel injection and liquid cooling but we'll have to wait and see. What really counts in the real world anyway is torque and the estimates for torque have been much higher, even in the most pessimistic reports.
It will be very forthcoming to hear what Triumph themselves has to say. Everything up until then is pure speculation and rather pointless...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sad, but true (for some). I read the limited specs they had available on the T.bird at the show and can confirm that it said

"The new Thunderbird will produce 80bhp in standard form."

Theres loads of extra's that Triumph have already thought up for it, im sure BHP will be on the list. This bike is going to be an easel for imaginative bikers to design their own bike around!

Ben

1 - 20 of 90 Posts