Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a resprayed petrol tank for my 99 Adventurer and plan to use all the existing hardware, but never having done this I was wondering about spacers and washers. Are they reusable or am I looking at replacing them before I start?

·
Registered
472 Posts
As long as your existing hardware is in good condition, you should not have any issue using it. All of the tanks were interchangeable along with the hardware.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that. It's little bits of info like that that make this site so good for the novice wrenchers like myself:D

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Another trick I discovered is using a pair of vise grips to help keep the holes aligned so the bolts don't strip. My tank seems to sit onto the two rubber cylinders really tight, so I use a punch to line up the holes, then snap the vise grips on to the flat frame area behind the bracket on the tank to keep it from pushing rearward, and then the bolts go in finger tight without stripping. Only takes a second to do, and makes the bolting go alot easier on my bike. Not sure if it is unique to my bike?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Thanks for that. It's little bits of info like that that make this site so good for the novice wrenchers like myself:D
Yeah, no problem. I blew it out down from the hole at the gas cap with compressed air - you wouldn't believe the crud that came out of an NOS tank... :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts