Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just removed my rear fender and installed a new brake light. I also removed all turn signals. My tail light works but I'm not sure if the brake light is always on or not working. Front and rear brake application produces the same response, nothing. I plugged in the red to yellow, black to black and yelow to green/pink. I'm not really sure where to start to figure out if it's the switch or something else. I also added an axel mount license plate holder to the right side. Could over tightening the axel nut cause the problem? The bike is a 06 T100. Thanks, Zac

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you think over tightening the axle bolt could influence the electrics, you might want someone else to look at bike :D

If you want help with the colored wires I think you at least need to tell us what tail light you goy on right now??

Might just wanna check the fuses first. Right side of the bike under the cover :)

good luck

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I just removed my rear fender and installed a new brake light. I also removed all turn signals. My tail light works but I'm not sure if the brake light is always on or not working. I plugged in the red to yellow, black to black and yelow to green/pink. I'm not really sure where to start to figure out if it's the switch or something else. I also added an axel mount license plate holder to the right side. Could over tightening the axel nut cause the problem? The bike is a 06 T100. Thanks, Zac
Main harness:
The green/pink is the brake light wire
The yellow is tail light
Black is ground.

The corresponding wiring colours on the light unit depend on what light unit you have bought. You could check by removing the light unit and touching the wires across your battery. After that, if the lamp is wired back in correctly and fails to work, start checking the fuses. Fuse #7 controlls brake light, horn and signals, fuse 10 controlls tail/parking lights.

You should be able to tell if the brake light is working simply by applying the brake. If you can't see it then stand a mirror behind the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed a 2-1/4" Classic Round Taillight from Dime City. I'm looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual and it appears that I have it wired correctly. I guess I could try yellow to yellow and red to green/pink in the morning but that doesn't seem right. I can't go honk the horn at the moment to check the fuse due to time and proximity of neighbors. They're on the same fuse (horn, indicators, brake light). As far as the spindle nut I just cranked it down since it was so hard to get off in the first place. I don't have a torque wrench to get the 85Nm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give those steps a shot tomorrow and get back on if they're a no go. Otherwise assume solved and thanks for helping a nub.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Those solutions did not work, any other ideas?
Check the bulb and check the ground for continuity. How did you check the fuses - visually? I use the 'glow as they blow' type. They have a LED in them that lights up only when the fuse is blown. Other than that they should be checked with a multimeter because you can't always see the break. I know you've checked fuse#7 by honking the horn but what about fuse#10?

Does the bulb holder in the light fitting have removeable terminals, on a little circular fiber board? If so, these can be put in the wrong way around so that the brake light comes on permanently.

Did you test the light unit across your battery? Did it all work? You need to do this test to eliminate the light unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuse 10 and 7 were both blown so I replaced them. The running light is on and both fuses are still intact. I hooked the lighting unit directly to the battery and it works but I'm not sure what you mean by "does it all work?". I'm not sure if those bulbs have two elements and the braking element is blown or what. I'm going to just reconnect the stock taillight and see if the brake light works. If it works then it's how I have it wired or the bulb. I think that's where I'll start tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Fuse 10 and 7 were both blown so I replaced them. The running light is on and both fuses are still intact. I hooked the lighting unit directly to the battery and it works but I'm not sure what you mean by "does it all work?". I'm not sure if those bulbs have two elements and the braking element is blown or what. I'm going to just reconnect the stock taillight and see if the brake light works. If it works then it's how I have it wired or the bulb. I think that's where I'll start tomorrow.
I meant did it all work when you tested it on the battery. The bulbs do have two elements. Holding the black wire to the battery negative terminal, touch the other wires, one at a time, to the other battery terminal. One should light brighter than the other, and that's your brake light. That test also confirms that the light unit is okay so you would look elsewhere for the fault. If during the test, one element fails to light its usually a blown bulb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, thanks. I found the problem. I had the wiring wrong. On my bike the brake light is green and purple (connected to white or yellow depending on the light) not green and pink as indicated in my manual. The running light is yellow connected to red. Black is black and the remaining two are turn signals. Now I just need to figure out this damn Kaoko cruise control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts