Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here! My 2012 T100 is in the exact same colors as the one shown in the attached Triumph promotional photo. I'd like a set of saddlebags, and silencers that give a soft, low rumble rather than the infamous sewing machine sound. Soooo...

1) Any suggestions on saddlebags?
2) Will I need any sort of attachments or supporting structure to mount them?
3) I'm not going to remove the baffles from my existing mufflers - that idea is out. Does anyone sell aftermarket silencers that give a nice, low toned rumble? (No super loud pipes!! I'd rather walk than sound like a Harley).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Bonnevilles don't "rumble". Look for some used TORS (Triumph Off-Road) on eBay. They get nicer with age and aren't offensive.

OEM bags and supports show up on eBay too. Be patient.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have Norman Hyde Togas on my T100 2013. Very nice improvement over stock and not overly loud (I live/ride in an urban environment).

For a side bags, I have a Iron & Resin Terrain Pannier which mounts via simple seat-belt material straps & "D"-rings to the frame rails.

See my lame-a$$ videos showing the bike, the side bag and the Toga sounds:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the saddlebags in your photo and am very happy with them. With pipes I suggest seek out bikes with different pipes for a comparison. Opinions differ as far as what is loud and too loud so you be the judge yourself. I tries TORS but took them off after 5,000km. I swapped them out for Norman Hyde Toga Classics. They are not loud but do sound great. (opinion of course)

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had TORs on my 2012 T100 from nearly new and they did get better with age (keep forgetting to sell the damn things), and put Togas on last fall and love the sound. Louder, and for me just a great tone…way fun. A note about loudness: I was recently at a stoplight right behind a classic Harley large twin that had the typical straight pipe setup, and when he took off I realized my Togas, relative to the usual thumpfest HD pipes anyway, aren't loud at all (rendered instantly inaudible by the hog)…they're sort of just right. They do set the downshift backfire pops free so be ready for that.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I've had the TOR's for about five years now, they work fine for me and my ears, though I do respect others wanting to go a bit louder. They do appear to get a little louder as they age, still sound really nice (again, at least to me).

I bought a used pair of Triumph City Bags from a forum member. New, they are heinously expensive, so was happy to pounce on a set. They are not exactly high-capacity, but perfect for my commuting duty. That, and I love the way they look.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the OEM "classic leather saddlebags" as shown in your photo. They do require mounting equipment (which comes with them if purchased thru triumph). Pros: quite sizable, fit nicely. Cons: cumbersome to remove (have to take off the seat and undo multiple hard-to-access straps), leather seems of poor quality for the price (started to crack at a bend point within 1 season). I wouldn't recommend unless you intend to leave them on all the time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you want a decent compromise between looks and functionality (although weighing more on the side of style), I couldn't recommend the Iron & Resin Pannier enough. Roomy enough for day-to-day and water resistant (not waterproof, though). I have one on each side and they hold everything I need for camping trips, with the rest lashed to the back of the bike:

As for pipes, I also love the NH Togas. Really great burbling/growling at idle, and can howl if you want them to. Here's a comparison video between the stock pipes and the Togas that I did recently:

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Togas are too loud for long rides and will become tiring. YMMV... When you ride by with "seasoned" TORS, people look up but smile. :) Most of the sound is behind the rider, BTW.

If you only ride to the 7/11..., Togas with baffles might be ~ OK. :D If you have tinnitus though..., be wary...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't have a t100 mine is a Mag wheel but I got the TORS on it from new. Sometimes I wish they were a little louder when ripping around town but on long rides I appreciate them the way they are! Made my own rack's and saddlebags you can check out my thread if your interested here on the .rat

Psy.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I would say in terms of sound quality, the Arrows pipes are the best, but $$$ ($1500+). Next would be the BC Predators ($600-700) and louder than Togas. Togas ($550) are fine around town and long rides...at speed you can't really hear them as wind noise easily exceeds them. There is also the TecBike Parts Arrows knock-off setup which sounds just like the original Arrows but are hugely cheaper ($300?)!

Oh, for most of these exhausts you will need to remove (or otherwise disable as described elsewhere on the forum) the SAI system to avoid the big pops and backfires...doing so will essentially eliminate those. ECU remapping is also helpful with aftermarket exhausts...dealer can perform this for about $50 or you can do it yourself with a $20 cable the free TuneECU software.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HA! I knew I came to the right place. I'm learning a ton just reading this discussion. Many thanks. I'm shopping around for many of the things listed here. And the videos are mega helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have Norman Hyde Togas on my T100 2013. Very nice improvement over stock and not overly loud (I live/ride in an urban environment).

For a side bags, I have a Iron & Resin Terrain Pannier which mounts via simple seat-belt material straps & "D"-rings to the frame rails.

See my lame-a$$ videos showing the bike, the side bag and the Toga sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t89eQQpOWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONFQKNaI1b4
BTW, your bike is most noble and righteous. I salute you. Is that one of the fabled Steve McQueen editions? Heard of them but never saw one.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
BTW, your bike is most noble and righteous. I salute you. Is that one of the fabled Steve McQueen editions? Heard of them but never saw one.
Yessum! Steve McQueen SE. Lovin' It!

Reactions: sopwith21

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the pea shooters that will give you some sound but nothing to crazy. It would be good to have the bike tuned when you change it out. I also have the big leather saddle bag kit. Part numbers below. I will ship them to you for $400 for the exhaust and $409 for the bags "with hardware" including shipping inside the lower 48. Dave Zink (813) 523-4693
A9528028
A9608104

·
Registered
313 Posts
BC Sleepers. No regrets

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Guys please stay away from the over seas tune. We get allot of bad computers after 6 months to a year! Please with sugar on top!
Please explain "over seas tune"?

Thx.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As a full service store. We have had problems with people who reprogram the stock computer through internet channels.
When you say "overseas tune", are you referring to uploading a tune specifying fuel up to E25 (not designed for USA bikes) on an up to E10 bike?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts