Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentlemen, just wanted to say hi. I'm comin over from the Club Cafe. I had a 2006 Thruxton which was a fun bike. I purchased a 2006 Sprint ST this week, and WOW, the ST is awesome! It came with the bags, double bubble windscreen, comfort seat, and Race Tech suspension and fork springs.

Also, want to give a shout out to Team Triumph in Janesville, WI. They are really great to deal with!

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
I did the same thing a few months ago, traded in my 08 Cafe'd Bonnie for a 09 Sprint ST.
I love the new bike, but at times I miss the Bonnie :(
The biggest difference is the feeling at higher speeds, you just need to watch out for flashing lights a little bit more, LOL.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking about investing in a good radar/laser detector. The power just rolls on so smooth, quiet, and fast!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, just wanted to say hi.
Same week:
You: Thruxton => Sprint ST
Me: Bonnie => Sprint ST.

Quite a difference, huh?

I though the Bonnie was a nice little bike, but the Sprint is so much better in every way.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I have the Adaptiv unit as well. Don't understand how people can ride without one! The whole setup cost less than the speeding ticket I got the day I left it in my saddlebag. :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
I've thought of getting a "fuzzbuster", but I'd have to remove it every time I go to Virginia...

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
How about when they are illegal:rolleyes:

DaveM:AustralianFlag
Depends how illegal they are compared to speeding... :eek:

I've thought of getting a "fuzzbuster", but I'd have to remove it every time I go to Virginia...

Sent from my iPhone;)
It's dead easy to remove the Adaptiv at the border. Seriously.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Kit if you got caught with one here you would be in very deep doo doo.

Our speeding laws in most states here are very heavy fines and loss of points, if caught with an illegal device whilst doing high speed you would be toast.

I don't personally know anyone in Oz who uses them.

They are available though, but I have never met anyone in this country that uses one.

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Keep in mind that detectors are useless if the operator is using it in passive mode and then targets your vehicle directly. In such a case, by the time your device alarms, you start to react...it's to late. You are locked in the other end.

Detectors do work when they pick up stray signals from someone operating the equip around the bend, improperly, etc. and you get a trace emission. That may be enough to alarm the detector and warn you before you were to come into the enforcement area.

Around here, they are using lasers a lot more. See the car/bike, target, laze and lock it in. Apprehension is always a factor too but in most cases, a separate chase vehicle is used.

I would be wary about claims of many of the detectors i see. I can see though, in these days of increased revenue generation by certain locales, that the ads for such gear tempting.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The penalties in VA are bad enough that I stash mine in the saddlebags before I cross the state line, so I guess I wouldn't use one in Oz either. Luckily, they're legal in almost all of the rest of the US.

My Adaptiv has saved me from radar on multiple occasions, and from lidar once. It's hard to get a bike on laser, and I think that's about all that saved me that time. I do get some false alerts with the Adaptiv, but also quite a few verified positives. I don't know how much a Texas speeding ticket costs <knock wood>, but I know the one ticket I got in NY cost more than the detector.

Some of the best money I ever spent, but they're legal here and I have a bit of a problem with my right wrist... :D

Edit: For laser protection, jammers are probably the best bet. They're illegal in more places than radar detectors, though, and not cheap! They integrate into the Adaptiv setup, but more than double the price. You'd have to get out of two NYS >20MPH over speeding tickets to pay for it.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts