Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new Sprint owner here. (Sysops, I've read the stickies.)

Picked up a used 2004 Sprint ST over the weekend and rode it home to Florida from North Carolina, via the Blue Ridge, Deals Gap and other highlights. About 1100 miles. (7300 on the bike)

I have encountered the dreaded hard cold start problem. I've read the threads on this topic and plan to start with changing the plugs. Is the fuel pressure tweak known to be effective? I'd be willing to try. Second item: front brakes are pulsing. I'm gonna clean the bobbins, but after that, I guess it's new rotors.

Impressions: I bought the Sprint to replace the BMW R1150RS that my wife and I use for long tours. I want something sportier, faster and that won't drag its butt and lower parts in the twisties.

So far, so good. Quite impressed with the acceleration and torque band of the engine. Nicely responsive. What impressed me most, however, was the neutral handling, maybe with a little tendency to oversteer. The BMW has a wont to go wide and has to forced to hold the line. The Sprint seems to do this without coaxing.

Like the bags. They did well in the wet, along with the rest of machine. I'm liking it a lot.

Comments welcome.

--Paul

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Howdy Paul, and Welcome,

I'm a long time BMW rider. I too love the Sprint. I have an '06. Some of the more experienced guys will dive in and give you some advise with your concerns.

Gotta luv that triple!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome.

The hard starting issues are mostly with the 05-06 bikes and not the 04. I believe the 04 has a different ecu all together. Plugs and air filter is the place to start.

Front rotor pulsing, as you said check the bobbins and make sure they are all clean.

·
Premium Member
24,382 Posts
Welcome Paul

Hi and welcome Paul

geez lots a new peeps today I'm getting tired!:Happy:

Ok if you havent Donski and I would like you to read the forum stickies.

I am glad you like your '04 I have one too and also an '04 Daytona.
Love em both to bits.:InLove4:

Enjoy the forum Paul:)

cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the if-I-didn't-see-it-I wouldn't-believe-it department comes this: Last night I attacked my front brake pulsing problem by cleaning up the bobbins with brake cleaner and, while at it, I worked the disc surfaces with some aggressive crocus cloth.

After that, I scrubbed the disc surfaces with brake cleaner and blew everything out with shop air.

Surprise! It worked. The pulsing is gone and the brake feel is much improved.

To smooth things out and keep the discs from rusting, I coated them liberally with chain lube. Although this increased stopping distance, the brakes are very smooth now. (Hey, just kidding...little brake shop humor there...)

Now, on the plugs.

--Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts