Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 06 yellow Speedy today that I posted about this week from a local Yamaha dealer. Bike has 452 miles on it. Naturally the dealer did not have the owners manual and only 1 key.

Here are my questions, please help!

1. How do you check the oil. (procedure)
2. Beside the manual what else comes with the bike?
3. Where is the battery and how do you get to it?
4. My low fuel light came on, during my trip home, how do I see the ***** fuel gauge? I can't believe the dealer did not give me some gas!
5. What are the series of lights on the right side of the Tach?. I noticed that when I decelerated the lights glowed faintly and then when out. Something does not seem right.
6. Where can you get an extra key?
7. The temp gauge was about half way up sometimes 1 bar more, is this normal?
8. Noticed the fueling seemed a little rich at idle, is this normal?

I made an appointment at the local Triumph dealer to have the 500 mile servicec done next week.

I think I am better off not riding the bike until they check it out. The Yamaha dealer didn't know ***** about the bike. I does seem to run OK, no strange noises so far.

Man this thing has some B**LS!

Hope to post some pics soon.

Thanks to all!

:razz:

·
Registered
242 Posts
do a search on here for the manual, someone recently, maybe only a few pages in posted a link to a free pdf version to download. the lights are normal, they "tell" you when to shift. i ignore them, but they kinda helped for a week when i went from bonnie to triple.

all these things sound normal and just get that file and figure it all out.

·
Registered
Speed Triple, 2006
251 Posts
Cheers, GJNOCKIE; good luck with your new toy.
Yes, the answer to most of your questions is in the owner's manual - but that doesn't help much if you don't have the manual, does it? Mine didn't know either, but you'll probably find the manual under the seat. There's a keyhole under the left side of the seat. Insert ignition key, twist - harder than you might think, try not to break it - to the left. Pushing down on the rear of the seat while turning the key will help.
quick answers:
1) dipstick on rt side of engine, hold bike vertically while checking
2) not much - 2 keys, if I remember
3) battery is under seat - very obvious once seat is off
4) no gauge - light says about 3 quarts left, I think - there are a couple of trip odometers on the panel, once you get the manual you can see how to use them to judge when you're due for fuel - most of us get about 125 +/- miles before the light come on. And yeah, it might have been nice for dealer to spring for a $10 tank of gas...
5) lights indicate RPM limits - user can set them, marginally useful if you follow Triumph's break in procedure, pretty useless otherwise. Cute light show, though...
6) easiest to get keys or at least blanks from Triumph, but there are threads indicating some other blanks may work
7) temp will be a little high - this is normal. Fan should cycle on and off in stop and go, even in mid-winter
8) sorry, haven't noticed that, can't help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Vinnyf for the reply..

I never thought to look under the seat for the manual. My bike has the rear seat cowl on it. I assume I have to remove that first before lifting the seat, right?

I know its a stupid question, but... this bike does have a fuel gauge? If so, How Do I Display it??

·
Registered
Speed Triple, 2006
251 Posts
Nope, no gauge. And I may have been a bit optimistic on the amount of fuel left when the light comes on.
Sorry, don't know how the cowl mounts, so can't help on that one either. Lot of good I am... :hammer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts