Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my '09 Speedmaster on Wednesday. 350 miles later - as I'm shifting into 2nd - the shift linkage fell off! Needless to say, I was more than a little disappointed.

Once I figured out what had happened, I screwed the linkage back together, and it held until I got home.

I was surprised that there wasn't even a drop of Loctite on either end of the rod. Is this normal? Can't Triumph afford a drop of Loctite, or at least a star washer?

This incident aside, I really like my bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 08 Thruxton , it has come loose a few times . It is in the process of being replaced under warranty. i would do the same as you may find ( as was the case with mine) that the thread had been stripped from the linkage and so the problem will only re-occur.

cheers michael

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Can't Triumph afford a drop of Loctite, or at least a star washer?
As it's their custom nowadays, it's probably an optional extra together with other essential items like tool kits, centre stands, locking fuel caps, rev counters...:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As it's their custom nowadays, it's probably an optional extra together with other essential items like tool kits, centre stands, locking fuel caps, rev counters...:)
Speaking of tool kits...

Is there a "standard" place to stash them on the Speedmaster?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Shifter

Now you can put that suicide shifter you always wanted on it!! Quality control seems to be slipping a bit these days? Always a good idea to go over all the N&B on the bike when you get it! They left the axle nut looose on mine when I got it! I think someone was doing a chain adjust @ lunch time & forgot? Coulda been a VERY costly lunch for them!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts