Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1101 - 1113 of 1113 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just tried on my T120.. bike shuts down instantly with key, also with kill switch. Only difference I can see is that the lights stay on if I use the kill switch. The needles, fuel pump, all noises shut off the same way either method.

For reference, I never use the kill switch in normal operation- not for any particular reason, I just grab the key because it's what I do.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Anyone been able to easily and quickly adjust the rear suspension?
The stock kyb just has preload afjustment. From the pictures, it looks like the adjustment is on the bottom, blocked by the mufflers. The dealer should have given you an adjustment spanner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While cars do not have a kill switch to stop the engine they also don't have a start button. Okay newer cars do but traditionally you use the key to start the car and the key to stop the car. Every bike I have ever owned uses a key to prime the system and a button to start the engine. It kind of makes sense you would do the reverse. Turn key to "on" position. Press starter button. Ride bike. Press stop button. Turn key to "off" position.

Devil's advocate is now through.

NC

You haven’t had only opinions. I wasn’t stating an opinion, and it’s not just me. Why would you assume I was?

You should be asking yourself on what basis do you believe it is OK to use it. Exactly where did you gain that piece of information? From a salesman? From someone riding a Ninja 300? One of you pals? Or is it habit from the old days?

Go into any workshop or factory and you’ll see a big red stop button on the wall. That is the emergency stop button. They don’t use it to shut down the machines each night. Your kill switch is for emergency stops. If a kill switch was a good way to stop an engine they’d be in cars. There is one on a motorcycle because motorcycles can fall over plus ignitions are located in different places on different bikes so not always easy to find or get to.

Kill switches have been on bikes for ever. ECUs haven’t. I bet you always shut down your computer correctly, or stop a thumb drive before removing it. Why wouldn’t you do the same with your bike’s computer?

Use it. I really don’t care, and there’s a chance it won’t cause you problems. But is turning the key really all that difficult?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
While cars do not have a kill switch to stop the engine they also don't have a start button. Okay newer cars do but traditionally you use the key to start the car and the key to stop the car. Every bike I have ever owned uses a key to prime the system and a button to start the engine. It kind of makes sense you would do the reverse. Turn key to "on" position. Press starter button. Ride bike. Press stop button. Turn key to "off" position.

Devil's advocate is now through.

NC
We're not starting this up again are we :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
You haven’t had only opinions. I wasn’t stating an opinion, and it’s not just me. Why would you assume I was?

You should be asking yourself on what basis do you believe it is OK to use it. Exactly where did you gain that piece of information? From a salesman? From someone riding a Ninja 300? One of you pals? Or is it habit from the old days?

Go into any workshop or factory and you’ll see a big red stop button on the wall. That is the emergency stop button. They don’t use it to shut down the machines each night. Your kill switch is for emergency stops. If a kill switch was a good way to stop an engine they’d be in cars. There is one on a motorcycle because motorcycles can fall over plus ignitions are located in different places on different bikes so not always easy to find or get to.

Kill switches have been on bikes for ever. ECUs haven’t. I bet you always shut down your computer correctly, or stop a thumb drive before removing it. Why wouldn’t you do the same with your bike’s computer?

Use it. I really don’t care, and there’s a chance it won’t cause you problems. But is turning the key really all that difficult?
I’ve virtually never used the kill switch. The 2020 Rocket is a teaser. First there is the keyless ignition fob. Then there is an on-off switch on the left side of the bike. There is a red up/down switch on the right side of the bars. I was told to toggle it up to cycle the electronics, then down to start. I think the up is the kill switch when the engine is on. When I returned from my test ride, I got off the bike and turned the switch on the left side off. The engine stopped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone been able to easily and quickly adjust the rear suspension?
Assuming you are talking about preload adjustment, Triumph includes an allen key under the right-hand side panel for this purpose, but it's way too long and interferes with the exhaust.

I took a spare allen key, and used a Dremel to trim a few mm from the short end. After some trial and error, I got it just short enough to fully rotate the shock collar without removing the exhaust, while still being long enough to get a solid lock on the collar bung.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I hope all is well and everyone including your Family is healthy. I have a 2019 Triumph SpeedTwin 1200 with 600 miles for sale. Asking $12,000, it has loads of mods and accessories on the bike. Due to COVID, unfortunately I have to let the girl go. I will upload photos shortly. I’m not expecting anything until the photos are uploaded. I’m in Baytown, Tx. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guys, I hope all is well and everyone including your Family is healthy. I have a 2019 Triumph SpeedTwin 1200 with 600 miles for sale. Asking $12,000, it has loads of mods and accessories on the bike. Due to COVID, unfortunately I have to let the girl go. I will upload photos shortly. I’m not expecting anything until the photos are uploaded. I’m in Baytown, Tx. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear that but hope everything else is well and that you and your family are healthy.

1101 - 1113 of 1113 Posts