Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hey and how much I love this bike. This is my first Triumph and I can't wait to rack up the miles. I had less then 200km on it when the snow hit here in Toronto and the city threw down about 1,000,000 tons of salt. Can't wait till the spring. I'm sure I will have lots of questions for upgrades over this long dull winter.

Here is some pics with my stable mates.
2009 Speed Triple Matt Black
2008 Aprilia Shiver
1987 Honda Super Magna

Enjoy Cheers Skid

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys.

If I may ask, what made you get the speed triple and the shiver?
I picked up the shiver on an impulse buy. The Aprilia dealer is two blocks away from my work so I stopped in one night when they were pulling out the new Shiver. I am 6'1" and when I sat on the Shiver it fit perfect. I signed the contract and had a blast over the summer completely forgetting the bike I really wanted, the Speed Triple. I got a great deal on the Triumph with the scare of the economy so I am selling the Shiver in the spring. The after market for the Triumph is a lot bigger and parts are easier to get then Aprilia here in Canada

and how do the triple and shiver compare?
The first reaction when I got on the Triumph was this a very well balanced bike. The center of gravity is very low compared to the Shiver. The Shiver is more comfortable then the S3 for the long trips not to say the S3 is uncomfortable. But when it comes down to power there is no comparison the Triumph all the way. Keep in mind I only have 200km on the bike. The Shiver would be best compared against the Street Triple but at my hight the Street triple feels like a toy bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there much leg room difference between Speedy and the Shiver? I'm 6'3", and one major problem I have with the Triple is that I physically can't bend my left leg enough to get my toes all the way up on the peg. This was never a problem on the street, but was a very bad thing at the track (the hole in my left boot can attest to this fact).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey skid,
Fellow Torontonian here (white 08 S3) and all I have to say is that you'll love this bike. I had initially shortlisted the Shiver and the S3 but when I rode the Shiver, I think that they had a demo version which was locked on Rain mode. Needless to say, the power was completely crap.

I like the positioning of the Shiver, and it handled pretty good, but after owning an Aprilia SR50 scooter, and dealing with the (lack of) parts available, I'm glad I went with the S3.

This S3 is my favourite bike so far. Man, every time I hit the highway and punch the throttle, I can't get that sh*t eating grin off my face :)

I've so far resisted the mod urge (except for sliders) and am just enjoying this bike.

I'm jealous of all you guys in warm climates - I just spent an hour shovelling my driveway this morning. We had about 3 inches of snow everywhere....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KungFooJimmy Out of curiosity, is there much leg room difference between Speedy and the Shiver?
There is a noticeable difference in leg room but how much I'm not sure. I will try to take a measurement this weekend. The leg room is the one thing I enjoy on the Shiver.

kenbong I had initially shortlisted the Shiver and the S3 but when I rode the Shiver, I think that they had a demo version which was locked on Rain mode. Needless to say, the power was completely crap.
The rain mode on the Shiver is completlly useless even in the rain. If you can't hold a steady throttle without breaking the back tire loose then you shouldn't be on the road.The sport and touring maps are good though. I would use touring when I was 2 up or the long halls on the freeway. 90% of the time it was in sport mode downtown and blasting through traffic.

kenbong I've so far resisted the mod urge (except for sliders) and am just enjoying this bike.
I would like to say the same but I am guilty of the mods (not installed yet). I picked up sliders all round, A Chain Reaction low mount exhaust with passenger peg block off plates and the Mad Doctor fender kit. I know I'm going to here about how **** the Mad Doctor is but they are the only kit I personally think look good. Its just a shame that the lovely stock exhaust is going to sit in the garage collecting dust.

Thanks again for the welcome guys. Looking very forward to the spring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts