Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this 01 speed triple. Its got 20,000 on it and its VERY clean. Never been down, no oil leaks, new pilot powers, new front pads, custom paint, matched cowl, corbin seat, black widow undertail exhaust, tag fat bars. I love the bike but im just curious if there are any common problems with this i should be worried about. Im a maintainence freak and i like to keep up on everything i own. I heard about the charging problems some people have had but thats about it. How often should i be doing valve checks? Oil changes? And HOW MANY MILES do these motors usually go when well taken care of? Thanks in advance for your help!

Here it is, check it out and let me know if you like it!
http://www.triumphrat.net/attachmen...ics-no-comments-please-just-pics-37b4f5de.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just picked up this 01 speed triple. Its got 20,000 on it and its VERY clean. Never been down, no oil leaks, new pilot powers, new front pads, custom paint, matched cowl, corbin seat, black widow undertail exhaust, tag fat bars. I love the bike but im just curious if there are any common problems with this i should be worried about. Im a maintainence freak and i like to keep up on everything i own. I heard about the charging problems some people have had but thats about it. How often should i be doing valve checks? Oil changes? And HOW MANY MILES do these motors usually go when well taken care of? Thanks in advance for your help!

Here it is, check it out and let me know if you like it!
http://www.triumphrat.net/attachmen...ics-no-comments-please-just-pics-37b4f5de.jpg
Luke,

Congratulations on the bike.

I just responded to your post in the Welcome Center.

That was my friend Tim's bike. Sweet, isn't it.

a few items you may find interesting.

1. save this event for next year - http://www.armchaircommando.org/bennington/BenningtonTriumphBash/Home.html

2. try this local forum - www.ctriders.org
3. or this one - www.bandofriders.net

Tim's on both as am I.

Hope to see you on the bike soon.

Regards,

GerryP

·
Registered
500 Posts
May have to start a "how many kms has your speedy done" thread to see what people are getting out of them,i have an 08 model so can't tell you too much,but from what i have heard these triple motors are fairly reliable

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an ’02, at 24k a plastic fitting behind the right side panel let go and it started spraying fuel like a lawn sprinkler, replaced it with metal, might warrant a preemptive swap out, although I don’t remember the specific part I think I’ve seen a thread about this. (note: this could also just be a heat induced problem as I live in Phoenix and the average summer temps are around 107 ish) bike was running strong at 44k when I sold it. Mind the oil changes and ride the poop out of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the metal fuel fittings are already in the mail. I ordered them last week. I figured i would just do them before they break. I called the dealer and they said the fuel fittings were the only "open recall" on the bike. Ive been riding the hell outa it and it seems to be perfect. Just took my girl on a 100 mile ride yesterday. She loved it and said it felt comfortable and smooth.

I also ordered the triumph "link kit" to upgrade to the mosfet regulator. I found a bunch of regulators on ebay for cheap. I figure i will just fix the 2 or 3 little things that the bike normally has issues with so i dont gotta worry about it later. So far so good though. Its got almost 22,000 and it runs VERY smooth and feels strong. Not using any oil or smoking so i think the bike is mint.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well the metal fuel fittings are already in the mail. I ordered them last week. I figured i would just do them before they break. I called the dealer and they said the fuel fittings were the only "open recall" on the bike. Ive been riding the hell outa it and it seems to be perfect. Just took my girl on a 100 mile ride yesterday. She loved it and said it felt comfortable and smooth.

I also ordered the triumph "link kit" to upgrade to the mosfet regulator. I found a bunch of regulators on ebay for cheap. I figure i will just fix the 2 or 3 little things that the bike normally has issues with so i dont gotta worry about it later. So far so good though. Its got almost 22,000 and it runs VERY smooth and feels strong. Not using any oil or smoking so i think the bike is mint.
Luke,

Interesting bit of info on the R/R for an '01 S3. Th '01 Sprints use an alternator.

As far as the bike being "mint" I can say that Tim takes excellent care of his bikes.

So, where in CT are you located?

GerryP

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand the bike has a alternator. But are you saying this bike does not have a external voltage regulator? You just confused me. Im located in terryville. About 15-20 min from where Tim lives.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charging system components q's ??

I still can get a clear awnser on what years changed what as far as charging system parts. Ive read the sticky at the top about all the diag flow charts and how to's..... But what years does it apply to?

Im guessing 01 is the last year of the external alternator? (mine is a 01). So im guessing that sticky is only good for 02 and newer?
Someone please steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
22,198 Posts
97-01 had a integrated alternator

02+ had a crankcase enclosed ac generator (stator) with an external rectifier/regulator
(to which the sticky TS guide/upgrade refers)

If engine looks like this, it has the alternator (which is what is on your bike LukeS3)

If engine looks like this, it has the discrete generator and R/R components

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you soooo much for clearing that up for me! So are the alternators still a common failure point on my bike? Anything i can do to prolong it or should i just keep a spare handy?

BTW......your bike is dead sexy! Gold wheels on red are awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts