Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, Just test rode a new Speed Triple R. Great bike but I found the suspension is very firm (might be my weight, I am 11.5 stone). Question is, how adjustable is the Ohlins suspension? Could I adjust the forks and shock to make the bike very soft, or is there only limited adjustment? Would the S model with Showa suspension be softer sprung and more to my liking? Or, should I just eat a lot more pies?
Cheers, John

·
Registered
49 Posts
I test rode both the 2017 R and S Speed Triples and opted for the S because of the more comfortable suspension.
And had the R again this week for 2 days as loaner when my S was at the dealer for the latest recall. The 140km extra I had on the R confirmed I made the right choice in preferring the S above the R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test rode both the 2017 R and S Speed Triples and opted for the S because of the more comfortable suspension.
And had the R again this week for 2 days as loaner when my S was at the dealer for the latest recall. The 140km extra I had on the R confirmed I made the right choice in preferring the S above the R.
Thanks for that, think I'll see if I can get a test ride on an S. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As delivered and as recommended by the factory owner's manual, the Ohlins suspension on my 2014 S3R was a bit harsh for my weight...with the assistance from a riding buddy, the suspension has been adjusted so that the bike is just a little bit on the firm side and handles great. I could have made it less firm by backing out on the compression and rebound damping even more than I did.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can't just compare two different bikes at the dealer and say one is more comfortable than the other...unless the both have non adjustable suspensions. Otherwise both bikes' suspensions must be adjusted for your weight and riding style in order to make a realistic comparison...tire air pressures come into play also, they must be set correctly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts