Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 06' Bonnie. I want to change the pipes to something louder than stock but NOT TOO LOUD for town or residential area. Any suggestions for pipes that look great and sound better than stock?

·
Registered
55 Posts
First of all, welcome ... I think you will find a wide variety of opinions on this topic - sound being a personal taste issue - my bike has TORS (triumph off road silencers) and I am changing them for Norman Hyde Togas to get more sound. The TORS are definitely louder than stock, and have a nice sound quality. I would suggest you do a search on the forum for the many different kinds of exhausts that are out there. You probably already know that you will have to do some re-jetting when you change to a different exhaust system.

Bob

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your local dealer might have a demo bike with the TORs installed. That's how I was able to get a feel for the sound of them before I opted for the Togas. The TORs have a very nice note to them, but are a little too quiet for me.

If you're concerned about neighbours, the Togas are probably about on the edge of 'hooligan'. I get my toga-equipped T100 lined up and ready to go, then start her on choke and pootle slowly out of the neighbourhood on early morning starts and I get away with it, but that's with the baffles in and wrapped in fibre glass wool. That probably cuts noise by only 10% but it's a difference. If you like to let the bike idle for a while and blip the throttle a few times when warming her up, your neighbours might not appreciate the togas. As Berta said, though, this is all pretty subjective opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
The NH Togas aren't anything like Harley loud. They come the closest to the authentic traditional Triumph sound. I had mine next to a 60's Bonnie with original mufflers at one of the local bike gatherings and they sounded almost alike. Just like the traditional Bonnie mufflers, the Togas aren't really loud unless you open it up. I hold it down in the neighborhood and none of my neighbors, either here in Ohio or in my much more closely packed neighborhood in California, have ever complained.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bonnievoyage- Whereabouts in Jersey are you? I'm in the Mount Holly area (Burlington county) and I have TORS on my 2005 Bonnie. If you're anywhere close by, maybe we could arrange something so you could hear the pipes.

I bought mine "on faith", i.e. no chance to hear them in advance. Definitely louder and more 'edgy' than stock pipes, I'm pretty happy with them. Given increasing emphasis on loudness enforcement, I'm kind of happy I didn't go any louder. Just as satisfying as the sound is the bike's performance increase from the whole package of less restrictive pipes, rejetting, and AI removal.

Jonathan

·
Registered
518 Posts
hey Jonathon...

not to hijack the thread, but I noticed you have a V-Strom 1000, another bike I'm look at.

Care to comment on it, and is there a forum like this one for those bikes?

Thanks,

JC

·
Registered
194 Posts
On 2006-11-13 11:54, UraniumC wrote:
hey Jonathon...

not to hijack the thread, but I noticed you have a V-Strom 1000, another bike I'm look at.

Care to comment on it, and is there a forum like this one for those bikes?

Thanks,

JC
Uranium- I just got the V-strom, and have less than 200 miles on it! Can't tell you a lot yet. There's a couple of dedicated V-strom forums, but I the forum I liked was "sport-touring.net", and they had major server problems last week, supposed to be looking for new hosting. First impressions: the V-strom is the long-distance bike I was seeking to keep up with my wife's Trophy. It's probably going to replace my Bonnie as my commuter bike, it does 80mph in heavy Interstate traffic with great aplomb. It's basically a big honkin' standard, so the seating position isn't so different from the Bonnie, just everything is scaled up. Nice to have a bike where the brakes actually do something too. :-D I'd say it has about 80% of the Bonnie's manueverability, so the Bonnie will still get the nod for short/medium distance back road runs. Bonnie also does stop-and-go traffic better.

Ask me again in a couple of months! :)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Bonnievoyage,

If you are concerned about waking up the neighbors, then don't buy D&D's. They will wake up the dead at idle.

I have a set, and found them too loud with a full coverage helmet on, and ear plugs in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks, Jonathon...

enjoy the V-Strom, and the Bonnie. Look forward to hearing more about it after a few months.

If you stumble on a V-Strom only forum, let me know!

Cheers,

JC

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the pipe adapters from Bellacourse and VW exhaust tips from J C Whitney, bolted the adapters on with the original clams and slid the VW pipes in the adapter and drilled a small hole thru the adapter into the VW pipe and secured it with a sheet metal screw. SWEET It idles quietly and on accel it sounds like a 60's Triumph, throaty but will not attract the police. Cost altogether about $50 plus freight. The VW pipes are dirt cheap , like $7 a pair and it does sound good. Took my D & D's off, too loud for my neighborhood. Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts