Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like Triumph have decided to make the top oil cooler braided hoses into pre-formed solid pipes, much neater. Have a close look at this picture, I imagine they've done the same for the hose on the other side:

This is the previous model for comparison:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
would imagine it's been done as a cost cutting measure. Would think that the braided hose was to stop the possibility of the hose fracturing due to vibration. Probably carried out testing to make sure it dosn't.... at least within the warranty period. Before the Thruxton I had a 94 trophy 1200. It was interesting to watch little things being dropped in later years like hydraulic preload adjuster on the rear shock, adjustable hose clamps on the cooling system, less fancy logo on the mirrors ect. Some bean counter is probably paid mega bucks to cut production costs by a few bucks a unit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bet it is hard lines at the motor and the cooler connected by a short section of rubber hose. Vibrations would eventually cause a hardline to frail I'd think.

I don't see this as an upgrade over the braided lines used now.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well spotted...:) The new one appears to have deeper fins and those through-bolt tunnels are no longer visible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like the braided lines better.Looks sportier.

Also from Forchetto's 2013 picture it looks like there is no tachometer and the side cases are black instead of polished.Maybe it is because the SE is now the "standard"Bonneville in the line up.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, let me be the first... how do I polish my lower fins to look like the 2013, without mucking up the job?
I was considering that. I like them better like that. The only reason they black the cylinders is to make them look like the original Meriden Bonnies. They had to paint them as they were made of cast iron and would rust otherwise.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cylinders have deeper fins as well as polished edges.
Top engine mount bolt is other way round.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Driftless Admin
11,511 Posts
That's a Photoshop pic.
Maybe, but Triumph's own website is showing that new head:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/classics/bonneville/2012/5033

Check out the Jet Black picture, it shows the new head for model year 2013:

Oh, look, I just found their press release that talks about the new head: http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/triumph-world/news/my13-colours

I like the originals better, but probably just because I don't like change.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts