Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished fabrication yesterday and installation today. Ninety percent of it is 6061 T6 from a salvage yard. The sliders themselves were purchased since I could not make them as cheap as I bought them. Thanks to 3banger for the inspiration and link to the vendor.

http://shop.vendio.com/supplyndemand/home.html

Slider 102.jpg

Slider 074.jpg

Slider 092.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very, very nice. In fact, awesome! And top quality craftsmanship:) Here's hoping you never have to put them to the test.

Were they hard to build, how long did it take and if you ever feel ambitious, I would love to have a set of drawings to follow?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Awesome Job OnD !! :eek:

Looks like you were inspired by the R&G design, removed one slider per side and improved the looks of it by a TON ! :)

Now I just wish I didnt shell out the money for my R&G ones .... I could've just ordered directly from you ;) :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Geeepers man those are gorgeous. That little milling machine does a heck of a nice job and the operator obviously isn't to shabby either.

Bloody sweat looking.

·
Super Moderator
22,108 Posts
I had the good fortune of seeing these progress along the way.

OnD approached this project like every one he does - no half measures and only perfection will do and the end result demonstrates that commitment to excellence.

This is a fabulous testament to his skills - terrific end result.

Too bad Kory won't see it! ..............

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow! Very well done. I like the mounting bar, no chance of the slider rotating into body work during a slide like in my design. The chamfer was a very nice touch. Wish I had a mill.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry no plans or dimensions. I do projects like this by starting out with templates and mock ups. The templates are usually poster board. I then use them as patterns for the final product. I also use transfer pins for fastener location centers.

The only way to draw up dimensioned plans would be for me to disassemble them then measure everything. If that were done, I am certain there would be some strange measurements.

It is not unusual to find, after fabrication, that a part does not fit as intended. Several of the detail parts were made and redesigned more than once. Insert "doh! here.

The objective in showing the sliders was to provide motivation for someone else to use them as impetus to design their own set. I know that there were a few things that could have been done differently.

I had one design objective, other than the obvious, and that was to place the pucks centered and below the swoosh. I had two constraints. I wanted to use materials (6061 T6) I had on hand, and I wanted quality 12.9 fasteners. Anything stronger would have not provided the necessary energy absorption prior to yield. Anything weaker would have been futile.

Example of poster board templates for part location.
Slider 021.jpg

Transfer pins for copying fastener locations. A couple of the bar spacers are examples of mistakes because I had to redo them a few MMs longer.
Slider 020.jpg

Fit check. Notice the plate and one side of the bar are not chamfered nor finished, and the bar end is not to length, radiused, or counterbored yet. I only do the work necessary for a fit check. Then, if it passes, I continue with follow on processes. You learn to be that way when you are lazy.
Slider 018b.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Alright, it took me a minute but look at the third picture on OnD's first post. My pal OnD likes to do this, and I missed it the first time looking at it because I was on my ipod, but now that i have my big monitor in front of me I can see something looks a little different.

OnD, why don't you post a picture of your custom machined dipstick.... that definately isn't a black plastic dipstick that is next to impossible to read unless you are in bright lights.

Common, give up the goods. I have a feeling that your dipstick might just as impressive as those sliders. :)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Common, give up the goods. I have a feeling that your dipstick might just as impressive as those sliders. :)
That is what I keep telling the ladies in the old folks rest home, but they just don't believe me. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah - I was waiting for a phallic reference........ So maybe I should edit my post and replace dipstick with "apparatus to confirm oil level suspicions".

:Dang:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice job, they look great.

I gotta say though, during my crash a couple of weeks ago, the rear slider definitely took up a lot of energy, and kept the rear of the bike off the ground, resulting in minimal damage to the fairing. I'd be surprised if a single slider up front would give you the kind of protection you get from the R&Gs.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You could be right.

In my case, I have accepted that the rear of the bike might be sacrificed because I also do not run with the pillion foot pegs. Some might not be aware that they also provide a degree of protection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts