Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got a flat :mad::mad:, plugged the tire, then I said what the hell I'm worth it, and I purchased a new Michellin Pilot Road 2... only replaced the rear the front is still like new (only 3900 miles on it)

thoughts: should I match the front or just run these till they go bald then get a full set at that time?
I have the stock tire up front.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi Lino-Welcome. Your problem is common. Most people don't want to chuck a good tire. But, like you said you are worth it. Tires for motorcycles are designed to work as pairs. Now you're not automatically going to fly off the road with a mismatched pair, but they're not going to give you maximum performance.

Think of it this way, those two rubber hoops are the only connection you have to the road. Don't you want the best connection possible? In addition the stock tires are not very good tires. I run Pilots Power 2CTs on my bike(third pair) and they are wonderful tires, very sticky. Pilot Roads are very good also, slightly less sticky, but more mileage.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like NotSoFast said, it's up to you but myself I would change the front as well.
The tyres really are made to work in pair and you run the risk of the bike getting unstable having tyres with different grip.
Not saying it's a certainty but I think it is an unnecessary risk and in a critical situation it might make that little difference
between a lucky outcome or not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went through the same delima two weeks ago. I decided to change the front as well and then when the rear wears out again I will still have a good front and hopefully I will have been so impressed with the new tires that I buy the same rear again.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Also, not sure how it works here, but in UK god forbid you have an acident/insurance claim, unmatched tyres COULD reduce your claim/payout.........!!

although as everyone else has said, safety (yours!) should be your first concern

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Lino,

You're in Miami, fer cripes sakes!

What difference does the profile of the front and back tire make? You have as many corners and hills as I do. Actually, you have freeway ramps, and I don't.

My vote is to wear the shoes you have. As long as you have sufficient tread for the occasional rainy day, yer golden!

Besides, if your luck is like mine, Murphy will show up right after you get the new front tire on and provide a #12 sheet metal screw or a roofing nail.

I'm a long way from a 'performance' rider. I change my tires when I can see the air inside 'em.

Of course, that's my Scottish heritage coming through. 'Not good enough to keep; too good to throw away.'

·
Registered
929 Posts
I ran 2 sets Pirelli Diablo Stratas. Then I switched to that Michelin Pilot Road2 and was totally impressed.
The bike leans so effortlessly that I rubbed my chicken strips off really fast.
An awesome tire worth the difference in cash.
At first I was reluctant since Michelin never adjusted their pricing up here in Canada (when our dollar was up).
But I ended up getting a great deal on them anyway. :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Dave,
Would it be safe to say that because the Sprint has a tendancy to "push" the front end that it would be even more crucial to make sure the front tire is matched especially if you have the old Bridgestones on it?

My guess is that because the bridgestones are such an inferior tire to the Michelin's that the rear tire is going to outperform that front tire. I +1 that tires should be matched for traction and performance reasons.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Yes Calli,
I would totally agree about the front being very important, if you ride at all hard your life depends on it.

BTW all Bridgestones are not bad tyres, just the BT 020 and BT 021 do not seem to suit the Sprint at all compared to other tyres available. IMHO. (See tyre stickie for further info on this)

The fun police
Dave & Don
:policeman::brick:

Dave,
Would it be safe to say that because the Sprint has a tendancy to "push" the front end that it would be even more crucial to make sure the front tire is matched especially if you have the old Bridgestones on it?

My guess is that because the bridgestones are such an inferior tire to the Michelin's that the rear tire is going to outperform that front tire. I +1 that tires should be matched for traction and performance reasons.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Many street riders will never be able to notice the difference, but there is a major difference as the rear (IMO) will now have more grip than your stock front and should you ever need to push the front to get our of a sticky spot you want that matched grip.

$160 is very cheap for confidence level :) If you ride with doubt about your hoops you will not ride with confidence which could compromise your reactions in tough spots

1 - 13 of 13 Posts