Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an alright deal on kyb's off a zrx 1100 for about the same price as the thruxton Icon 7610's. As a far as looks go i would rather go for the KYB's (can't lie the piggy back is pretty cool). I'm just worried the KYB's may be too stiff for me, i weigh 170 lb's. any thoughts?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not trying to crap on the zrx shock. I searched for a pair for my scrambler over a year ago and came across a very disturbing picture while searching on ebay. Someone was trying to sell a set said, easy fix, one shock had a broken casting at the shock eye near the top or reservoir of the shock. The caption said just weld the casting should work fine. I don't know how the shock was damaged maybe a wreck,shoot maybe it was dropped. After that I took a good look at those shocks & the thing I noticed is KYB really beefed up that casting anyway my opinion is their not made out of a very qaulity material but, like some other people have pointed out in this forum,what the hell do I know. How about over 30 years of off road riding in Ca. & Nevada. Hi desert & mountain terrain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just picked up a set of ZRX KYB's off of ebay for around $225... seems to be the going rate lately ($200-250).

I've only got about 50 miles on them, but they are much better than the stock junk. Only word of caution is that they are quite stiff, so if you aren't the heaviest yourself you may reconsider, or plan on more couch potato time to "beefcake" up.;) I am 225# w/o gear so wasn't a big concern for me...

I have no experience with the ikons to give you any comparison info.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the issue with the broken casting... My guess is that this occurred outside of normal usage. I did a quick interwebs search an nothing came up, and the shock looks strong enough so I'll assume it's a fluke...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no there were a pair i put a bid on and got into a pretty nasty last minute bid war on this past sunday. They went from $140 so $210 within about 2 minutes (i lost that fight). I just did a buy it now on some that were in way better shape off a 2004 low mileage bike for 300. Props comment got me thinking if i dont like them i can always sell them for close what i paid, plus im planning on getting the D&D full race system (street version) so any ground clearance i can keep over bumps will be beneficial

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
No experience with the KYB's. The Ikons are a good shock which I assume you would buying new whereas the KYB would be used. I am 95kg and the Ikons are comfortable for me. IMHO, if your trying to keep the old school cafe racer look of the Thruxton then go the Ikons

·
Registered
267 Posts
rps-23, if the shocks are stiff how can you say their any better than stock? A buddy of mine who is a factory trained BMW mechanic from Germany, who also worked at a Honda & Kawasaki shop- qualified wrench,( no bs the guy no his sh$t) said, Their good shocks only their made a low quality material. good luck.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I ran a set KYB's from the ZRX OEM spec (two pair actually) on my Thruxton, and I can tell you 'first-hand' that they are very nice build quality. Especially nice is the ability to separately adjust compression and rebound damping settings.

The aluminum castings are indeed very stout, and finely cast. If someone has experienced a breakage, it was from a very hard crash or some other abuse.

Because these KYB's are all 'used' shocks, however, the buyers have no way of knowing the history or actual mileage on these shocks. They definitely have stiffer springs, and even on the lowest pre-load settings they are stiffer than most shocks on 2nd or 3rd positions. Not uncomfortable for a 185 lb person such as myself, but rather firm. The plus side is a very controlled ride with no wallowing or pitching.

The first set I had installed was 'primo' and felt wonderful. I also happened to purchase a second set on ebay that was a bit thrashed cosmetically, so I bought them too, and cleaned them up. I then decided to sell the 'primo' set and got a good price...maybe someone here owns them?

I installed the 'ugly' set after I painted & polished and they looked beautiful and worked great for a few hundred miles. Then, one day I noticed the right side had developed a very slow oil drip onto the floor from the shaft seal. Hey, I've been around bikes since the 60's so this is no big 'shock' (hey... I made a funny)

Oil leaks are a sign the shock will not be working much longer, so I decided to try some new IKON's. They are nice looking shocks (no piggyback res though) and seem to be well built. They only offer spring pre-load and rebound damping adjustment, but that's been OK so far.

Bottom line... don't hesitate to get a pair of KYB's that were built for the ZRX. If you get a nice set they should last you a long time. They definitely make the bike look more aggressive and sporty. The KYB's are also rebuildable... you can have new stem seals, oil and nitrogen installed, and they should go pretty much indefinitely. You can even put light springs on them if you want. I saw a set somewhere online with chromed springs and they looked very nice!

I'm going to sell my 'cosmetically reconditioned' set soon and just let someone else repair the seal dribble on the one side. For now, I'm very happy with the IKON's! Frankly...I didn't feel the stock rear shocks were ALL that bad! The forks? Hmmm, they needed some 'Progressive' work, and now they are really very good.

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
98 Posts
rps-23, if the shocks are stiff how can you say their any better than stock? A buddy of mine who is a factory trained BMW mechanic from Germany, who also worked at a Honda & Kawasaki shop- qualified wrench,( no bs the guy no his sh$t) said, Their good shocks only their made a low quality material. good luck.
Being that they are OEM I would absolutely bet the tech you spoke to is 100% correct that the materials are on the cheap end of things. I am not mistaking $200 take off OEM shocks for Ohlins.

When I say they are stiff, it is in relation to the stockers that were undersprung (for my weight) and under dampened. I found them to be wallowy and had significant chatter over anything but the smoothest of roads. The KYB's are much more planted and the chatter is gone over the same roads. To me that makes the KYB's better than the stock stuff. IMO they are well worth 2-3 hundred bucks they go for used. I am also not looking for the best money can buy, just "good enough" for my street use and the low cost is nice too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow lots of responses, thanks guys! i ended up going with a pair of KYB's on ebay for $300, not the best deal, i know, but they look to be well taken care of and off a 2004 "low mileage bike".The owner had the springs redone in an iridescent green (we'll see how long that lasts).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
WOOO! just got them in the mail today, they look brand new except for the pearlescent green springs which now that i see them might stay that way... on the down side i just checked the weather and its supposed to be complete crap from now till next sunday:Dang: maybe I'll get motivated for the 12k mile valve check this week

UPDATE: just got them on today and was able to sneak in a ride in between showers. Feels like a completely different bike now... they did seem to highlight (or low light) the stock squishy front end. I have them set on the second lowest preload setting and lowest rebound settings and firm is the perfect way to describe it; not uncomfortable but the bike feels more planted and stable, not to mention with the jacked up rear end this thing feel like it was made to corner! I almost dropped it the first time I stood it up off the jack... haha cant flat foot it anymore

1 - 14 of 14 Posts