Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Picked up a '98 Speed Triple last week and I love it. It's in showroom condition with a few nice extra's and with a full Devil race exhaust it sounds the mutts nuts! However, nipped out on it today and the engine warning light was on. Came on when I started her up and stayed on. I'm pretty certain all fluids are topped up but I'll double check in the morning while I'm giving everything a good squirt with WD40 to make sure the wonderful British weather hasn't buggered anything up electrically. Any other ideas what it could be before I get ripped off by my local dealer?

·
Super Moderator
21,216 Posts
Welcome!
A couple of clues in your post, but if you could revisit your UserCP and fill in your year/model (98 T509) under 'favourite bike' and your location (City/Country) that will always be an immediate point of reference (in the margin on the left under your username) for anyone answering future questions you may have.

As to your problem, well could be any number of causes I'm afraid - you really need to pull the OBDII code from the ECM to find out what is triggering the MIL (Triumph calls it MIL - Malfunction Indicator Lamp).
It could be something as simple as the low fuel level sender - which are notoriously unreliable.
If this is/was a momemntary problem, it will possibly extinguish the light after three warm-up/cool-down cycles, unless the problem remains in which case it will stay lit. Even if light goes out however, the code will still remain in memory for 40 more cycles so can still be retrieved.
You really will need to have the code pulled to find out what the trigger was.

·
Super Moderator
21,216 Posts
Thanks for updating your profile!

I'm not 100% sure however that is a 98 model or perhaps a 99
The 98 model (as mine was originally) has T509 on the tail logo.

One quick way to tell would be if you have an MC1000 or MC2000 ECM - check under the seat and see if has a single long connector on the ECM (MC2000) or two connector plugs (MC1000).

If the latter (two plugs) that would be a 99 model - a true 955cc as opposed to the T509 which was 885cc. You will have a few extra ponies too if that is the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts