Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new 07 S3 and am over the moon! One strange thing though, about 20 seconds after I switch the motor off, the computer starts grunting and chattering. It goes on for about 5-10 seconds and sounds like a cross between a dial up modem trying to connect and someone putting a screwdriver across a set of battery terminals. Definately not a healthy sound! I had an 06 demonstrator for a couple of days, which didn`t make this noise. Any similar experience with the 07?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts
I think thats the first time anybody here has reported something like that. I would definately get that checked out.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,284 Posts
definitely worth check'n out, but could possibly be the ECU of the 07's? :???: There's only a few on here with 07's, but I still haven't heard them talk about any strange noises. Maybe she's try'n to tell ya, you should've bought green. :-D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked with the dealer, it`s a relay in the ECU. All the new ones do it and the Daytona 675`s too.

Allegedly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts
On 2006-12-05 21:51, welshrob wrote:
Checked with the dealer, it`s a relay in the ECU. All the new ones do it and the Daytona 675`s too.

Allegedly...
Sounds a bit doubtful. Check that out on the Daytona forum Rob!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Yes the 07 S3's, ST's, 675's & Tiger 1050's all do it, it is the ecm controlling the stepper motor etc after the ignition is turned off, the ecm stays `live' for a predetermined time to reset all actuators to set positions, this is also how the starting time is quicker.

[ This message was edited by: GTRAT on 2006-12-07 12:16 ]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that GTRAT, even the Triumph Mechanic couldn`t tell me exactly what was going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Hey Welshrob,

Picked mine up about 2 weeks ago it's a 2006 on the compliance plate, it also does the Modem Noises, no shorting out battery noises though. Come to think of it hopefully I have 2007 firmware in my bike, it starts pretty quick less than 1 second, so Triumph may have shipped the last of the 06 models with the new 07 ECU ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
On 2006-12-07 06:33, Trumpy1050 wrote:
Hey Welshrob,

Picked mine up about 2 weeks ago it's a 2006 on the compliance plate, it also does the Modem Noises, no shorting out battery noises though. Come to think of it hopefully I have 2007 firmware in my bike, it starts pretty quick less than 1 second, so Triumph may have shipped the last of the 06 models with the new 07 ECU ?
Having an 06 compliance plate does not signify it is an 06 model, check the 11th digit of your vin number, that digit corresponds to the model year (i.e. if the digit is a 7 then it is a 2007 model year bike and therefore has the V4 Keihin ECU). Triumph usually start producing the next model year bikes around July of each year, sometimes earlier depending on model & demand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
On 2006-12-07 03:16, welshrob wrote:
Thanks for that GTRAT, even the Triumph Mechanic couldn`t tell me exactly what was going on.
How strange,even the Triumph mechanic couldn't tell you what's wrong(sarcasm).I'd be checking as many fields as possible.Normally when i hear noises it's in my head and the Leprechaun's are telling me to do bad things. :-D :hammer:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top