Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've ridden some properly quick bikes but I haven't come close to the 2.79 seconds. Certainly not the old Rocket 3 without a quick shifter.

Maybe a crazed 120 pound moto journalist who doesn't care about breaking the machine might get close.

But lads that kind of quickness is astronaut type training. I'll need some objective no kidding evidence of this time.

Once I see it I'll offer a proper salute and call it sir big daddy.
I’m a little sceptical myself about that time but I will say this. If you can get the timing right, nothing launches off the line quite like a Rocket (except a rocket I guess). I got mine going pretty quickly after 5 years and 100,000kms daily riding of practice and most sport bikes needed several hundred metres to round me up.
The new one has a torque assist clutch and quick shifter(and 40kg less fat) so you never know....

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Are these on the market? How much $$? It certainly looks yummerific. I think these pictures are fakes. No one in the background is looking at the bike! Except maybe the dog.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The R3 could launch, although when I gave mine the beans in first it would, without fail, pop out of gear. Of the new nannies I don't remember reading about launch assist? anybody

·
Registered
879 Posts
@;
The R3 could launch, although when I gave mine the beans in first it would, without fail, pop out of gear. Of the new nannies I don't remember reading about launch assist? anybody
I wouldn’t mind betting that when you started the bike you didn’t let the clutch out in neutral before putting into first. Many Rockets, including mine, would pop out of first if you didn’t let the clutch out in neutral. They need to “klunk” into first.

·
Administrator
19,456 Posts
@;

I wouldn’t mind betting that when you started the bike you didn’t let the clutch out in neutral before putting into first. Many Rockets, including mine, would pop out of first if you didn’t let the clutch out in neutral. They need to “klunk” into first.
My Rocket definitely performs better if I ensure the "clunk" occurs. Actually, this is the same for my Speed Triple and my old Daytona 1200. I believe the term we used to use was "agricultural gearing".

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I was an active member of the R3 owners site and was told about cycling into N first but it made no difference and I traded back the bike because the tranny got progressively worse as miles went on. I did love the power I could use tho'.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sandi T over on thetriumphforum.com spotted the new Rocket in Sturgis and managed to get the below pics of the black GT

What a horn-bag of a bike. Makes a diavel look slow. The HD owners at Sturgis would be muttering "sumfink sumfink not USA sumfink MAGA sumfink wish I could own one".

·
Registered
36 Posts
The passenger accommodations are too small. Therefore the new one couldn't replace my current Rocket X. However, as a replacement to my Speed Triple and stable mate for my X? Hmmm.... I wish I could afford that!
Nah...just trade in the passenger for a newer and more petite model...and the pillion seat will be fine. See if the dealership will knock a few dollars off on the trade in...the squawking would be interesting...suggest ear plugs to prevent hearing loss...and maybe body armor and a full face helmet to prevent injury that requires hospitalization. >:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm tempted to do a test ride. I wonder how it will handle in everyday traffic, where you need to be more nimble. If I were a few years younger it would be more of a slam dunk. As is, my T-Bird LT is still doing a serviceable job, though not as quick as I'd like. I like that the R3GT is a lot lighter than the LT. Anyone seen how those panniers are attached? Are they lockable?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts