Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I just got a new to me 04 Daytona SE. Love the bike. I am a former Sprint RS owner and have been eying this bike for a good while. I finally decided I needed to have it. The RS was a great bike and I will miss it but I wanted something more sporty w/ better suspension. Bike is in great shape; plastics look perfect, brand new tires, shifts smooth and brakes feel great. Think I found a keeper.

The only issues I have is that it is a little hard to start. I end up having to blip the throttle to get her to crank up. There also seems to be a flat spot between 6 and 7k rpm. I am thinking about getting a tuneboy pretty soon not sure if it will be worth it or if I should let the dealer try and re-map it. Will a tuneboy fix these issues.

Oh, add on's include:
two brothers slip on
frame sliders
fender eliminator
flush mount turn signals

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats bro,

Incredible looking scoot!!

What are you running for octane? I found when I dropped down to 89 (what the book calls for) I have easier starts and a smoothed out power range. I am running a black Widow can and stock tune.

I am an Occam's razor kind of thinker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Erickex

I just put my first tank of gas in yesterday and it was 89. I don't know what the dealer filled it up with. I will try a few tanks of 89 octane and see if anything improves.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Question for you

Sorry I dont have any advice on the slow start. I've got an 02 and I had that same issue for the first few weeks I had it (purchased it slightly used) and then it just seemed to go away. I have no idea why.
But I've got a question. Is that just reflecting tape that you have on the wheels? I'm suprised its so bright in the day light. The ones I've seen are much less visible. I'll have to pick some up. What brand?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
TX_Phil, Hard cold starts on my '04 began when the 10% ethanol blend came about. While I haven't bothered, it can be helped by increasing the CO percentage in the long term fuel trim. The dealer should be able to help.

2Bros cans often don't need a remap. If you're still on the OEM map an inexpensive fix is to regear with a 17T c/s sprocket or a 45T rear sprocket (good for overall rideability also). Have the dealer check what's loaded. There's a couple of TOR tunes available depending whether SAI or not.

Brad

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I dont have any advice on the slow start. I've got an 02 and I had that same issue for the first few weeks I had it (purchased it slightly used) and then it just seemed to go away. I have no idea why.
But I've got a question. Is that just reflecting tape that you have on the wheels? I'm suprised its so bright in the day light. The ones I've seen are much less visible. I'll have to pick some up. What brand?
I am not sure of the brand, it was on the bike when I got it. I will check and see if I see a brand name on it. Could be just the flash from my camera that hit it just right. It was a pretty cloudy day when I took the pics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TX_Phil, Hard cold starts on my '04 began when the 10% ethanol blend came about. While I haven't bothered, it can be helped by increasing the CO percentage in the long term fuel trim. The dealer should be able to help.

2Bros cans often don't need a remap. If you're still on the OEM map an inexpensive fix is to regear with a 17T c/s sprocket or a 45T rear sprocket (good for overall rideability also). Have the dealer check what's loaded. There's a couple of TOR tunes available depending whether SAI or not.

Brad
Thanks for the info Brad. I will see what the dealer can do. I went down one sprocket tooth on the front when I had my Sprint and liked the results. I may end up trying that if the dealer is no help.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question on PC3

I am leaning toward getting a Power Commander 3. Just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a TuneBoy and PC3 has a specific map for my 2 bros exhaust.

My question is, would it be best to have the dealer load the stock map back on the bike before installing the power commander or will PC adjust to whatever map is currently on the bike? Kinda new to the tuning thing so sorry about the newb question.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
TX_Phil, I've no personal experiance with the PCIII, but I have read that the base OEM map needs to be loaded prior to installation.

Brad

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TX_Phil, I've no personal experiance with the PCIII, but I have read that the base OEM map needs to be loaded prior to installation.

Brad
Thanks Brad, that is what I was thinking.

By the way, cold starts have been improving. Could be the 89 Octane I have been using but it seemed to really get better after I tried resetting the ECU with this method:
http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/65847-reset-all-settings-on-ecu-on-sagem-sprint.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts