Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that on some of our bikes the clutch cable has been rubbing on the wiring around the steering head. Triumph is going to have the dealers put a new bracket on the affected VINs. The models are: 2016 Triumph Bonneville T120, Street Twin, 2017 Triumph Bonneville T100, Street Cup, Street Scrambler
The recall # given is 2019096. The NHTSA # is 19V133. I ran my VIN on the Triumph website. Mine is affected.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
When I took delivery of my T120 in March, 2016, it was easily seen that the plastic clutch cable and wiring bundle bracket would abrade the clutch cable. The fix was to remove the clutch cable from the bracket and just let the cable hang free. I also pulled the wiring bundle forward a little so that it would not be wrapped tightly around the steering head with the steering on the right stop. No problems since.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I took delivery of my T120 in March, 2016, it was easily seen that the plastic clutch cable and wiring bundle bracket would abrade the clutch cable. The fix was to remove the clutch cable from the bracket and just let the cable hang free. I also pulled the wiring bundle forward a little so that it would not be wrapped tightly around the steering head with the steering on the right stop. No problems since.
With respect to the aforementioned recall, TSMGGUY's suggestion ought to be on a "Must Do List" for every new W/C Twin owner.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here's what I got when I put my VIN (2016 ST) into the Triumph web site (https://m.triumphmotorcycles.com/safety-recall-search). I had my harness reconfigured after losing power to the speedo a couple of years ago, but will bring it in for this change.

SUMMARY
The headstock tidy (guide) situated behind the head stock on the left-hand side of the main frame is used to position the clutch cable and main harness, which in its original condition may allow the clutch cable to contact the main harnesssheath, potentially causing damage to the wiring within the main harness. If this condition occurs and remains undetected, it may lead to a loss of electrical power to various electrical circuits.

CONSEQUENCE
As a consequence, headlight or indicator lighting may malfunction or engine power could be lost without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY
Owners are advised to bring their motorcycles to a Triumph dealer to havethe original headstock tidy replaced with a new version free of charge (parts and labour).

NOTES
MANUFACTURER REFERENCE: SRAN560For more information, please visit www.triumphmotorcycles.com or call 1-888-284-6288. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

WHAT TO DO NEXT?
To ensure your maximum safety, we require your co-operation to ensure your motorcycle is modified without delay. Please contact your local or preferred Triumph dealer immediately to book your motorcycle in for the recall work to be carried out free of charge. To find your dealer, please use our Find A Dealer search.

·
Registered
447 Posts
On the left side just under the front of the fuel tank you will find a black plastic clamp held by two screws that require a torx head driver. This is the clamp that holds both the wire bundle and the clutch cable. To access it, you will need to remove the rear tank mount bolt under the front of the seat, and slide the tank rearward about two inches. There are no forward tank hold down bolts.

Next, loosen the two clamp screws and remove the clutch cable from under it. Next, gently move the handle bars as far to the right as they will go, and watch to see if the cable bundle moves slightly forward. It should, so at this point, retighten the two screws. This process should have taken some or all of the strain from the cable bundle when the bars are move far right. See photo.

As you can see, I just have a loose cable tie around the clutch cable so that it will not bear on the cable bundle. I will have a look at the recall process when available at my dealer.

thanks,
Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is actually OK as well. I rerouted the clutch cable slightly because of my windshield bar mounts and the wiring for my driving lights. I will take it in though for the new bracket and to have it recorded as being done.
The hard part is that I moved in the Fall and now am 2 hours from the nearest dealer and 2.5 hrs from the one that I bought it from. I will take it in to the dealer I bought it from because they have been good to me.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Just checked, and the recall applies to both my bikes.

The recall code is SRAN560

Thanks for posting all of the information.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Just checked, and the recall applies to both my bikes.

The recall code is SRAN560

Thanks for posting all of the information.
Same here. Thanks to Howard (tsmgguy) and Gary for posting a remedy and a photo for a reluctant adult learner.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
It was simple enough to free the clutch cable from the bracket but the wiring harness wouldn't budge when I tried to pull it forward. I may pull the tank later in search of some slack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In July '18 I took my then-1-year-old Street Twin for its annual check up, and the mechanic told me he'd removed the bracket altogether due to the reasons mentioned above. I haven't been able to check if I'm affected by the recall, but if I am, do you guys think I should go back and tell them about it?

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
On the left side just under the front of the fuel tank you will find a black plastic clamp held by two screws that require a torx head driver. This is the clamp that holds both the wire bundle and the clutch cable. To access it, you will need to remove the rear tank mount bolt under the front of the seat, and slide the tank rearward about two inches. There are no forward tank hold down bolts.

Next, loosen the two clamp screws and remove the clutch cable from under it. Next, gently move the handle bars as far to the right as they will go, and watch to see if the cable bundle moves slightly forward. It should, so at this point, retighten the two screws. This process should have taken some or all of the strain from the cable bundle when the bars are move far right. See photo.

As you can see, I just have a loose cable tie around the clutch cable so that it will not bear on the cable bundle. I will have a look at the recall process when available at my dealer.

thanks,
Gary
Did that only last weekend before I put my seats back on after the Winter battery charging. Looking forward to some decent riding weather now!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
It was simple enough to free the clutch cable from the bracket but the wiring harness wouldn't budge when I tried to pull it forward. I may pull the tank later in search of some slack.
Just turn it full right lock and tighten the clamp which should give all the necessary free play.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The fine print:

SUMMARY

The headstock tidy (guide) situated behind the head stock on the left-hand side of the main frame is used to position the clutch cable and main harness, which in its original condition may allow the clutch cable to contact the main harnesssheath, potentially causing damage to the wiring within the main harness. If this condition occurs and remains undetected, it may lead to a loss of electrical power to various electrical circuits.

CONSEQUENCE

As a consequence, headlight or indicator lighting may malfunction or engine power could be lost without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY

Owners are advised to bring their motorcycles to a Triumph dealer to havethe original headstock tidy replaced with a new version free of charge (parts and labour).

NOTES

MANUFACTURER REFERENCE: SRAN560For more information, please visit www.triumphmotorcycles.com or call 1-888-284-6288. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

WHAT TO DO NEXT?

To ensure your maximum safety, we require your co-operation to ensure your motorcycle is modified without delay. Please contact your local or preferred Triumph dealer immediately to book your motorcycle in for the recall work to be carried out free of charge. To find your dealer, please use our Find A Dealer search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
apap86....
In response to your question, since your mechanic removed the bracket from your S.T. back in July '18 before the recall, I would suggest going back to the dealer and inquire about how the recall "fix" is designed and how much functional value it may add over and above simply removing the clutch cable from underneath the bracket.
That's what I intend to do,....when it stops snowing in upstate N.Y.,.... that is.
The first member to get this recall done is highly encouraged to post the results.

Thanks,
Gary

1 - 20 of 100 Posts