Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to own a 2004 Bonneville America and in June of '08 traded up to a New Rocket III Classic. Not long after owning this beautiful machine, I noticed a slight ticking noise on the exhaust side of the engine as well as a noticeable vibration in the handlebars at 3000 RPM. I took it to the dealer (D&D Import Cycles and Triumph) and was told that the ticking sound was a common occurrence known as "cam chain slap" and that over time the chain would seat properly and it should quiet down. Well, I now have just over 4200 miles on the bike and not only have the same ticking sound, but noticed that the valve cover was leaking oil on the exhaust side of the engine as well. I took photos of the leak and emailed them to D&D and the owner promptly ordered a replacement gasket for me, as it is covered under the warranty.

I was recently very disappointed to learn that my R3 was assembled in Thailand and not the UK, which was pointed out to me by the "T", which is the 11th character in the VIN number.

The owner of D&D Import Cycles and Triumph has been very good to my wife and I as far as sales and service, so I do not have a complaint as far as he is concerned. I am wondering however, if any of you have had issues such as these, and what advice you can offer me, especially with regards to the ticking noise coming from the cam chain area.

Also, I am curious if problems such as these will become commonplace on the new Triumphs that are assembled outside of the UK.

I look forward to your responses.

Take Care and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Your engine is still assembled in the UK. All years of the Rockets have had the frame, swing arm, oil tank, gas tank, bearclaw, and exhaust among other things, manufactured and assembled in Thailand. I have a detailed post on another forum showing the cad drawings and other engineering aspects of the Thailand plant as it pertains to the Rocket.

Also if you do some reading on any of the Rocket forums, you'll see that it was the UK plant that installed the output shaft bearings backward which has led to several failures. To Triumph's credit, any of the known issues have been taken care of by Triumph even if out of warranty.

When the timing chain cam gear goes bad it sounds like someone shaking a spray paint can. It's very noticeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I spoke to my mechanic and he says that the Thailand plant is doing very well at putting out a quality product, but I always felt better knowing that our longtime allies (The British) were building my bike.

Please don't get me wrong, Triumph is the best motorcycle company I have ever dealt with, especially as it relates to warranty issues. They are the only company I know of that will take care of issues even after the warranty period has passed. As a matter of fact, my dealer just called to advise that my R3 has been repaired and is ready for pick-up. Not bad for just dropping it off two days ago.

Thanks & Take Care,

·
Registered
177 Posts
service

"Peter C, the rock" and Triumph really look after their products!! Doesn't matter where it's made you get the same great service.
rockenrobert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts