Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just committed on this 2000 Sprint RS - Saving another from the breaker's yard!

It's actually going to be Christmas present for my brother-in-law, from me, Michelle (wife, his sister) and Mom.

Saving another from the breaker's yard!

Hopefully Scottie will become a TriumphRat member & chart its progress as it comes back to life.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
If it were me doing the work, it might be ready for Christmas 2009.

Knowing how you work, there is no doubt in my mind it will be ready this Christmas.

It is a good thing that you are doing.

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Knowing how you work, there is no doubt in my mind it will be ready this Christmas ....
LOl - I've already been trolling EBay - but need to be hands off this & just advisory (if required) - it will be all his project

He knows what he's doing although maybe not as intimate with the Triumph - yet! That will change!

Hasn't run in 5 years but low mileage (13K) and been in dry storage all that while.

Seriously looks like a good project to be ready for Spring - doesn't look like it needs too much short term and long term maybe some other goodies - like USD's maybe .... hmmmm ..... :p

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
If you finish the RS like your S3, it's going to be killer! I've always admired your S3 as one of the best looking bikes on TRnet. Post a few pics as progress is made.

·
Registered
764 Posts
DeCosse you are a saint!

It is a bit like saving a puppy from being put down in a lost dogs home.:D

Scottie is lucky bloke to have a brother in law like you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It looks like a very solid start for a project. It looks like it's been down on both sides or wedged itself between two objects but other than the front cowls and cluster it looks complete.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Very cool Decosse! This summers project for me is going to be to heat my garage so my motorcycle shenanigans can get a serious start!

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... It looks like it's been down on both sides or wedged itself between two objects
We are trying to figure out - the left side frame slider is bent, but not broken, and not bruised; the right side slider is scraped along its face and the bar-end & lever bent on that side.
Think it was hit from the left then went down on the right.
The owner thinks something like the van mirror swiped the stuff at the top end.

....but other than the front cowls and cluster it looks complete.
Have the gauge cluster and also coming with two brand new side fairings!!!

But will likely go naked so the fairings may be available to fund other bits. (hint hint for interested parties) :p

If anyone has a handle on left side rearset/gear shift pedal let me know in PM.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Nice project......

I have a Quill silencer.........SSSA, it might fit, don't know if the header/collector pipes are same dia on the early 955 motahs???

wanna trade??...,
actually I may of already had the use of one of your Tunes?? from the "other site"............!!

I actually had a brand new unused Triumph standard stainless silencer that the bloody bulider burnt to death, along with my shed!!!

Quill was/ is secondhand from UK, never downed it but it does have some very light scratches, still baffled, drilled a wee bit so sounds not too bad......
let me know and I'll see if I can find piccys......

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Great job DEcosse. You're a good man indeed. I like the Burnt Orange. The fairings are really quite rare on Ebay but they do come up from time to time.

I think that it would look great naked though :eek:

Have you heard it run?

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job DEcosse. You're a good man indeed. I like the Burnt Orange. The fairings are really quite rare on Ebay but they do come up from time to time.

I think that it would look great naked though :eek:

Have you heard it run?
Hasn't run in 5 years since the shunt! LOL! :p
I'm not worried though - don't see any problems there. We'll take the necessary precautions before starting.
Only has 13k miles so nothing untoward expected

Change fluids, plugs, little oil in the cylinders & turn over without firing; flush tank & new gas; then we'll see what happens!

I'm half expecting injector problems - but that is a clean n cal at worst. If they've stayed 'wet' may not be so bad.

Having the fairings, it would be nice to restore to original glory, but like a lot of these projects, will likely be sacrificed for a naked project in the interest of funding. To go the other way would require cockpit, headlight, shield, stay etc, which just makes it prohibitive. But they can help to make some other things happen.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
I'd love to be there when you start it up. :) A new beginning and smiles all round.... then beer.... :D

·
Super Moderator
21,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to be there when you start it up. ... A new beginning and smiles all round.... then beer....
We'll have one on you Steven! :beerchug::icon_drink:

(but we might even break open the beer while we're working - quiet confidence let's say - or maybe we just like beer!)

I'm primed for getting it running as soon as we get it home on Saturday!!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
UK eBay

Hi DEcosse,

nice rescue. there are always a fair number of bits on the UK eBay for the ST and RS. This is my standard search...

http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/items...tsZ14841Q2c14780Q2c9800QQ_sacatZ10486QQ_sopZ1

If you see any items that you need, I am quite happy to be one of the following..

Bid on your behalf

Be a UK postal address and combine items and ship in single package

do anything that would help you get hold of the parts

Done this a couple of times for other members, especially when the seller won't ship overseas, or the postage is really expensive (not that it isn't anyway!

Let me know

Rexx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts