Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just got my self a set of std rings of fleabay and as I'm cleaning up and polising my pistons yesterday, I realize the new oil rings that came with the set are completely different than the originals... They look a lot like a normal old piston ring but they have a gap cutt out in sections through the ring...

Will this work for my oil rings? Will I need to cutt them down the same as my compression rings to fit the barrel?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi LukeSmith1985,
It sounds like a normal oil ring to me a bit like [ shape from the end
with splits around it.
look closely at the rings and see if there is a T etched on them,
this is for top, as the compression rings are tapered
if you have a shiny one it will be the top ring.
You should also gap new rings
push a ring 1/2 way down the bore with a piston and measure the gap with feeler's. Check your book for data.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Plewsy, I was a bit worried... I am getting myself a feeler guage on the way home from work today so I can file them down a little bit.

Are the new oil rings a better design than the old ones? I notice the old ones come out in 3 pieces, while the new ones are one piece?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir, got a nice little machinst down the road who does work on bikes. Gave me a nice little hone for $10. The guy is 93 and pretty much just works to stay busy. I also polished the tops of my pistons and used some fine steel wool to clean up the skirts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Plewsy, that's a great idea. I realized when I began cleaning that steel wool was a horrible idea. That will be a great way to clean it up.

Cam followers... That raises another question... :D

What happens if I accidentally(stupidly) allowed my followers to get mixed up? I have now learned that they should go back exactly how they were.. They are in good condition. PO really took care of the internals on this bike(just not the externals) :mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again, much gratitude. I hope one day I can be as knowledgeable. I'll let you know when I finally get the barrels on, I hope it's tonight!

It's warm weather out here so not being able to ride is driving me mad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts