Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a couple of pics from my painter for my two '76 Bonnie tanks. I picked up a spare on ebay and had him put my version of a vintage paint scheme on that one. It's kinda like a '59 with a hint of
'66. Intended to make the bike look older but not trying to fool anyone. Might put the pre-OIF look fiberglass side panels and a set of Burgess mufflers to finish off the vintage look. Original tank on the bike got the OEM paintjob and will get stored away.

Whatchya think?
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really like them both, but I especially want to see the orange/white one installed on the finished product.

Let us know how the retro side panels work out (it's a mod I want to do too)

Joe

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sankeoil,

Well classic is classic for a reason, most people like something
enough it becomes classic. So you could not go wrong with
the one.

However, everyone just about has classic paint jobs, be different go
with the white and orange. That is my vote.

Pookybear

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pooky,

Both tanks are mine and both are already painted. Those pics are the finished tanks. The white/orange one will be what goes on the bike for sure. I have spent hours on sites like the vintage Triumph site looking at old paint styles. I also built a PowerPoint slide that allowed me to put different colors and patterns on my tank to see what it would look like. It was very interesting how the same two colors gave the tank a completely different look just by swapping positions. I've attached an example here to show you.

I downloaded and printed several dozen color pictures of vintage Triumphs and would sit in the chair and thumb thru them night after night. The ones that intially caught my eye would get replaced several days later by another as my favorite. It all started this summer when I saw a gorgeous '70 Bonnie that a local bodyshop guy did for himself and had riden to the Brookfield meet. The colors were not an original pattern but the worked great together. The bike was a metallic silver-blue and cream. It was an amazing combination. My first instinct was to duplicate that paint scheme, but I knew better. Eventually I decided the white over orange with the small racing stripe was the right look for this bike.

I hope to pick up the tanks this week. I'll shoot pictures of the bike with the tank mounted and post here.
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Paint Color

I like the dark red which closely matches the 69 Bonnie. Snakeoil, was the paint bought from one of the secret paint code suppliers or did you get the paint matched/mixed yourself? If so, can you share what color codes you used on the third tank (the dark red) including the white and the gold.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up my tanks today. It was a mixed emotion. First off, painter's primary market is roadracers, which as you know, do not stay painted very long. His personal name for himself is the Walmart of Painters. That said, he does everything right and used good paint. The OEM tank looks good except the painted on pinstripes are a little ragged where he pulled off the masking tape. Did not run a razor down the paint before pulling. But his price does not lead one to believe he is going to spend hours on details.

My orange and white tank came out great, except the stripe is a littel crooked. This was not noticed until I got it home. This bugs me, but I'll wait and see if it is truly noticeable when the tank is on the bike and the seat is in place.

Normally, I'm an anal PIA about stuff like this, but he only charges $275/tank so when you look at what the paint alone would cost, it's a damn good price. And I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. And the painter never gave me any false impressions about him being a detail fanatic. I was willing to take a chance for the price based on what I saw on his website and a recommendation from a guy who has had him paint a few older Beemers. I'm going to get in touch with him about the cockeyed stripe after I see how it looks on the bike.

Regarding the paint colors on the OEM paint tank: There was good paint to use as a guide under the badges and on the bottom of the tank. He had it scanned and mixed. I'm sure he will tell me what it was, if there is a code that goes with a scanned and mixed paint batch.

After this experience, I've decided that I'm going to do all my own paint from now on. I've always wanted to, but I've got zero experience with the new paints and very limited with old paints. I can shoot paint with the best of them, but it is knowing how the paints work that is key. My painter was telling me how things have changed and one of the features/curses of the new paint is the recoat time window. He says the paints are designed for repair shops. The primers need to be shot with color within so many hours or the color coat may peel or cause other problems. My roadracer paint was a urethane that peeled like latex on a teflon pan after I wrecked and started to strip the bike for a repair and repaint. Obvious example of too much time between primer and topcoat. I stripped the entire tank in about a half hour with a putty knife. The primer looked like it had just been shot and block sanded.

My cousin is pretty good with this stuff and in the auto biz. I hate to ask for his help because he is pulled in a million different directions by so many people. But I think I just need some good starter coaching and then I'll be able to do this stuff myself and to my own personal and to quote GPZ, "picky" standards. By the way, Paul, I take picky as a compliment.
If I get the paint number/code, I'll post here.
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Before and after pic's. Maybe you can see the difference in the colours. 1959 vs 2009 which one looks best?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I got your picky right here....

Picky, huh?... Well today it got a little worse. The OEM red tank really looked great. I was extremely pleased. I was sanding the area around the filler neck to level everything and when I was dusting it off, I noticed a crack in the paint on the front of the tank where the tunnel meets the external body of the tank. I know I did not ding or bang either tank as they were packed in towels and put in separate boxes. I know they came in the back seat of the painter's truck to a jobsite where I picked them up. The area was loaded with tools and such. I suspect it got bumped. I took pictures and sent them to the painter. Then I called him. He said fixing the cracked paint is not a problem with today's paints. Said it won't show. He was apologetic about the stripe on the other tank and and will re-shoot the tank. I just might tell him to forget the stripe and just shoot the top half in plain white and call it a day. I do like that stripe but when I looked closer, it was not only off center but curved a bit too. I know it is hard to mask a long stripe like that and as everyone has mentioned, the price does not mandate lots of time be spent laying out a stripe. If I had paid the big bucks most want to do this work, I'd have been upset. But given the price, I was almost embarrassed to call him. I cannot speak for anyone else, but that crooked stripe would have driven me nuts everytime I rode the bike.

I pressure tested the red tank to make sure it was not caused by a crack adjacent to the weld, no leaks found.

He's going to do one tank at a time so I have a tank to put on the bike. I've attached a pic here of the orange/white tank mounted with badges and a knee pad held on with tape. I really like the look. Also posted a close up of the tank to show how the striped falls to the left. It's off about a 1/4 inch, which give the visual appearance of 1/2 inch. Damn stripe.
regards,
Mr. Picky

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'm getting the impression nobody does a top rate job, no matter what the price. Funny how good the factory work turns out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am new to Triumph ownership, growing up as a kid I always thought they looked too much like Hondas (yeah I know the Triumph came first but how was I to know?).

Anyway I have come to love the look of a Triumph but also feel that 98% of the beauty is the tank. The shape and colors are fabulous, women seem to notice the tank too. I think that is what is lacking with the new bikes, the pinch weld alond the bottom looks cheap and ugly (IMHO) and takes away from the whole bike.

Oh yeah - the 59 tank looks a lot better than the new one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts